Your First Vehicle?

1973 Datsun 1600 SSS(510 Bluebird in the US I think),bought it second hand from a friends parents in '79, the car was in mint condition when I got it,some 25000km on the clock, the only "problem" with it was the colour,Purple/very close to purple.not the colour of choice for a young man just out of the army, but it was a bargain .I said that it was actually Midnight blueūüėā.Had some fun in¬† it, if cars could talk.............

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jakeismydog2

• Brad Eden

• RMH

• Tim Frazier

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I was 17 I bought my first car... a 1952 MD TD. It was cool.

In 1974 I bought a 1966 Triumph Spitfire...   Not the exact one but exactly the same...              

This subject matter has probably been hashed over before but not for awhile I don't think. The working teenagers Topic inspired it.   What was the very first car or truck you owned. Not a pa

Posted Images

'60 Ford, 4 door. $400 IIRC. Wife totaled it by rear ending another car.   We were so broke, it was replaced with a '58 4 door which died from terminal rust.  Forward to 1969, bought a  used Suburban with a 283. We were stylin'.

Jakeismydog2
On 8/8/2019 at 6:46 AM, chilly460 said:

1986 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, turbo 4cyl 5spd.  I desperately wanted a Mustang but my father, very wisely, knew I'd kill myself in it.  Spent months searching for one, mine was a little "beat" but funny because it had leather and dual power seats back when those sort of things were still a BIG deal.  Maroon with maroon leather interior, just as pictured.  

We paid $3500 from Dealin' Dave's car lot near Harrisburg, PA...one of those cheapie car lots you find near big auto auctions.  I think I kicked in $1500 on it.  

I had it for two months and kicked out a rocker arm while beating on it terribly, I would hammer on that poor car every time I drove it. As said, it wasn't well cared for, lack of oil changes allowed the cam to wear enough that the rocker arm had enough clearance to pop out, amazing it even ran.  Those little 2.3L Pinto engines held up to 15psi of boost from the turbo back before knock sensors and somehow lived with a kid putting cheap gas in them, no idea how. 

Found a shortblock out of an SVO mustang that had been rebuilt, guy rolled the car and was selling it.  Had the cylinder head rebuilt, put it together and installed it after football and then wrestling practices.  I thought my Dad was a maniac for making me do it after school and practice and then laying on concrete while temp was in the 20s, but looking back it was a great experience as I really appreciated the car much more after that.  I had to bum rides and beg to drive my mom's 87 Taurus wagon while I was working on the Thunderbird. That was in 1992, drove the car til 1998 when clutch and heater core were on their way out and bought a Ranger.  

1985-Turbo-Coupe-L.jpg

Mid 80s car design.... Ugh

Jakeismydog2
On 8/8/2019 at 8:43 AM, Starsky said:

First was a 1964 International Scout that I bought soon after graduating high school in 1968.  That fall I went to a little college in eastern Oregon where I used the Scout to major in big game hunting.  Got a nice bull elk, a mule deer buck and a black bear during my first term of college.  Studies didn't go all that well.  Wish I still had a Scout.

Did the scouts have roll up windows in 64 or the sliders? My dad's first vehicle was a scout that had the slider windows and you could fold the windshield down with the top on.

1967 International Scout. I bought it a few months after graduating college. I'd been carless until then. Hitch hiking was easy in the 70's. $400 is what I paid. No pictures, it was dark blue. Bare bones interior. Sheet metal dash board, back seat was not bolted down. It slid around if no one was sitting on it. The passenger side door had a broken hinge so the door was wired shut when I got it. Neither the gas gauge or the odometer worked. How much fuel was in the tank was a bit of an adventure. The 4 wheel drive worked great though. That's what I was interested in. It was not the kind of vehicle that attracted much attention from most girls. It very much reflected me though, practical, adventurous and poor[ budget minded ]. It did catch the eye of a girl who was perfect for me, adventurous, outdoorsy and no frills. We had it until kids came along, early 80's. Sold it if I remember right for $700.

28 minutes ago, Jakeismydog2 said:

Did the scouts have roll up windows in 64 or the sliders? My dad's first vehicle was a scout that had the slider windows and you could fold the windshield down with the top on.

Windows rolled up.

IMG_0256.JPG

My 4th vehicle after the 67 VW bug, a 69 bug and a Ford station wagon given to me by my mother. International Scout II. I bought it used in 1980 give or take while in college. I can't remember the year and the grill might be aftermarket or custom so doesn't reveal date. I'm guessing low to mid 70's? The top could be taken off. Manual 3 or 4 speed man my memory is shot...Had the 6 cylinder if I remember, turning 4x4 hubs etc. A true beast that never let me down despite drifting across lanes because of a loosy goosy front end that I could never get right even at a shop.

Looks a lot like the one I had. 3 speed on the floor, mine had a 6 cyl also.

Too show just how much we had in common, my girl friend, later wife had a 1970 Chevy pick-up 4 wd with a home made wooden flatbed back on it. Also a 3 speed on the floor. 

Birdcountry70
59 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

IMG_0256.JPG

My 4th vehicle after the 67 VW bug, a 69 bug and a Ford station wagon given to me by my mother. International Scout II. I bought it used in 1980 give or take while in college. I can't remember the year and the grill might be aftermarket or custom so doesn't reveal date. I'm guessing low to mid 70's? The top could be taken off. Manual 3 or 4 speed man my memory is shot...Had the 6 cylinder if I remember, turning 4x4 hubs etc. A true beast that never let me down despite drifting across lanes because of a loosy goosy front end that I could never get right even at a shop.

Brad, the loose and wandering steering wasn't a broken or worn part it was how they were built. For some reason international designed them with zero caster.  There is a kit available that uses angled "washers" to add about 1-1/2 degrees of caster to the knuckles. It just takes $70 and a couple of hours and they will track straight just like everything else does.  Why they thought they were building the only vehicle in the world that needed no caster is beyond me.

20170224_090401-1.jpg

On my old '64 Scout, when you crossed a set of railroad tracks, the bounce would set the single point steering to oscillating back and forth until you almost came to stop. If you didn't stop it got worse and worse.

Jakeismydog2
On 8/8/2019 at 8:04 PM, salmontogue said:

1965 Pontiac GTO Convertible, 389ci Tri-power, 4spd synchromesh Hurst.  My memory is 360hp and fast.....several state troopers suggested improved driving habits.  I joined them some years later.

This is unfair. No one should be so lucky to have that for a first car.

1 hour ago, Birdcountry70 said:

Brad, the loose and wandering steering wasn't a broken or worn part it was how they were built. For some reason international designed them with zero caster.  There is a kit available that uses angled "washers" to add about 1-1/2 degrees of caster to the knuckles. It just takes $70 and a couple of hours and they will track straight just like everything else does.  Why they thought they were building the only vehicle in the world that needed no caster is beyond me.

20170224_090401-1.jpg

What years is that Scout II? That looks like the same year as mine. Interesting to finally know about that front end. 

28 minutes ago, Jakeismydog2 said:

This is unfair. No one should be so lucky to have that for a first car.

I did not have my own car until I was 21.  There was an agreement with my parents that they would help me get something really nice.  It happened.  

Mike Connally

My first car was a 1959 Rambler station wagon. A true piece of crap. Bought it for $99 when I was 17.  It was 11 years old when I bought it and had had a tough life. 

I hated to stop at red lights because the engine smoked like it was on fire. Folks used to run up and try to save me.