Jump to content

What to do, What to do?


Recommended Posts

I would dump it for a newer model. I just get tired of the nickel and diming and the potential for a breakdown. I dont know where you live but a 5k mile trip is substantial. 

I have a 2010 Suburban that Im contemplating selling. Has about 170k miles, runs fine, but Ive kept my last 2 Burbs to almost 250k and those last 50k miles get to be a pain. Upper midwest here, with plenty if salt. If it doesn't wear out the body, everything underneath gets rusted and worn at this point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • DoubleAuto

    5

  • Mike da Carpenter

    4

  • salmontogue

    4

  • bobman

    3

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got the '99 grousemobile in great shape and ready for the logging roads in Maine . For a daily driver , I'm 68 and decided that I deserve one more new vehicle . My cars last me 10 years and are w

The 98' Ford just got back from four weeks of dove hunting in Oklahoma dust and heat, riding around seeing the area and 900 miles each way from southeast Tennessee.  Little over 5000 miles total.  No

I don’t.  I drive them till the wheels fall off. I then try to put them back on. 

Posted Images

As mentioned. A decent vehicle can go 500,000 or whatever miles if maintained and constant stream of new parts are replaced. My truck went over 200k recently. It's had a mess of new stuff replaced over the last few years. Admittedly some because of the rust situation up here, like the entire steering box, and leaf springs. I don't keep it because I like to brag about how many miles it has or how tough Toyota trucks are or how they don't let you down. I keep it because I can't afford another truck right now. As is, there is a certain amount of stress involved in driving an older truck with high mileage on long multi hour trips. There just is, unless you are a jet engine mechanic. I'm gonna take early SS in a year and will then hopefully be able to afford to purchase another truck, not new, but something with low mileage, likely a lease trade in Tacoma or Tundra. There is a romantic notion about driving a vehicle into the ground, but the cost of constant repairs and parts and stress about the worry of breakdowns isn't really worth it. IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

As mentioned. A decent vehicle can go 500,000 or whatever miles if maintained and constant stream of new parts are replaced. My truck went over 200k recently. It's had a mess of new stuff replaced over the last few years. Admittedly some because of the rust situation up here, like the entire steering box, and leaf springs. I don't keep it because I like to brag about how many miles it has or how tough Toyota trucks are or how they don't let you down. I keep it because I can't afford another truck right now. As is, there is a certain amount of stress involved in driving an older truck with high mileage on long multi hour trips. There just is, unless you are a jet engine mechanic. I'm gonna take early SS in a year and will then hopefully be able to afford to purchase another truck, not new, but something with low mileage, likely a lease trade in Tacoma or Tundra. There is a romantic notion about driving a vehicle into the ground, but the cost of constant repairs and parts and stress about the worry of breakdowns isn't really with it. IMO.

The process is called cost/benefit analysis and each of us has a unique approach.  We drive beaters during the winter to save our nice vehicles from salt and brine but there is no total escape from the inevitable.  I really dislike vehicle purchases.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

The process is called cost/benefit analysis and each of us has a unique approach.  We drive beaters during the winter to save our nice vehicles from salt and brine but there is no total escape from the inevitable.  I really dislike vehicle purchases.

Understood. But you are in the position to own multiple vehicles. Some aren't in that position like me. That's why my current truck will have to be kept on the road as my daily driver, and become a plow truck once I purchase a newer one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brad Eden said:

Understood. But you are in the position to own multiple vehicles. Some aren't in that position like me. That's why my current truck will have to be kept on the road as my daily driver, and become a plow truck once I purchase a newer one. 

We have three including the beater.  It's a necessity here as most warranty service is at least one hundred miles distant  The local GM dealership is worse than incompetent and they are the only game in "town".

Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than tires and brakes my 95 f 150

 

has needed a coil and a radiator ( I replaced all the hoses with the new radiator)

 

two interior door handles and one electric window motor

 

less than a $1000.00 for repairs and it has around 250 k miles on it

 

no doubt the weather down here in the south is easier on vehicles

 

my truck isn’t rusty and I have never kept it in my garage

 

the new trucks have much better seats

Link to post
Share on other sites

Chances are the engine will easily go another 100,000 miles and I imagine you can expect to get another 25,000 miles from the transmission. Drive it until the transmission goes then purchase a low mileage used transmission and torque converter and have that installed. Or install the transmission yourself, all you need is a concrete floor and transmission jack (which you can rent). On your PU truck the installation should be easy peasy (I wish I could say the same about the transaxle in my Caravan :( ).

 

Steve

 

PS I took a quick look on eBay and found a 98 F-150 AT with 111K on it for $675 (which includes shipping). You could probably find something locally for the same if not a better price.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all of the great replies.  A little more information:

  • The truck is located in southeast Tennessee and we don't get that much snow and ice.  It goes out to southern Oklahoma every year in September.
  • The truck has a new AC compressor put in at 200,000 miles.
  • It also has automatic door locks, electric windows and cruise control that all work.
  • I have a repair shop that has serviced this truck for 15+ years and knows it from top to bottom. 
  • The "Prairie Tan" color matches the Oklahoma dust nicely.
  • Except for brakes, sparkplug wires and other small items this truck has needed minimal repairs.
  • All my family members that drive trucks have newer trucks than mine.  And my only great grandson won't be able to drive for 11 more years.

I do have the funds to buy a new truck.  And my wife has asked me multiple times why I don't get a new truck.  But every time I look at a vehicle sticker it makes me cringe.  I guess I also think back to 2014 when I was in Oklahoma and on a dove hunt 50 miles from the meeting place.  The fellow putting on the hunt had bought a new truck in 2012 (loaded).  He went to go back to town.  The truck started just fine but wouldn't move.  Thank goodness he was good friends with the service manager a the local Chevrolet dealership who brought out a wrecker and towed him back to town.  Turned out it was a bad "chip" in the truck's transmission.  A very expensive repair after getting in the transmission.  I wonder if the new trucks just have too many options that can go wrong.

 

Again thanks for the replies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike da Carpenter
1 hour ago, bobman said:

Other than tires and brakes my 95 f 150

 

has needed a coil and a radiator

 

Lucky you.  The very first new vehicle I bought (because I wanted to build things, not work on cars) was a 1995 F-150.

 

Both the tires were worn bald on the inside and they did not warranty the tires, but stated the alignment was “way off”.  Offered to do an alignment, but refused to do anything about the tires that were less than a week old.

 

Inline 6, 300 ci motor that the last 3 spark plugs would back themselves out and the service manager swore I was doing it myself to get out of the payments.  Not the case.

 

The passenger shock mounts came loose twice and the driver’s side did once.

 

The harmonic balancer on the driveshaft literally FELL OFF going down the road.

 

Radio quit working, and my dad refused to let me park on the driveway because of the rust stains it was leaving on the concrete (hadn’t even made it to a Michigan winter yet).

 

Literally as soon as it hit 36,000 miles, I got rid of it.  And vowed to never buy another new ford again.  It was honestly the biggest piece of crap I had ever spent money on.

 

Glad you have had great success with yours.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike da Carpenter
8 minutes ago, DoubleAuto said:

Thanks for all of the great replies.  A little more information:

  • The truck is located in southeast Tennessee and we don't get that much snow and ice.  It goes out to southern Oklahoma every year in September.
  • The truck has a new AC compressor put in at 200,000 miles.
  • It also has automatic door locks, electric windows and cruise control that all work.
  • I have a repair shop that has serviced this truck for 15+ years and knows it from top to bottom. 
  • The "Prairie Tan" color matches the Oklahoma dust nicely.
  • Except for brakes, sparkplug wires and other small items this truck has needed minimal repairs.
  • All my family members that drive trucks have newer trucks than mine.  And my only great grandson won't be able to drive for 11 more years.

I do have the funds to buy a new truck.  And my wife has asked me multiple times why I don't get a new truck.  But every time I look at a vehicle sticker it makes me cringe.  I guess I also think back to 2014 when I was in Oklahoma and on a dove hunt 50 miles from the meeting place.  The fellow putting on the hunt had bought a new truck in 2012 (loaded).  He went to go back to town.  The truck started just fine but wouldn't move.  Thank goodness he was good friends with the service manager a the local Chevrolet dealership who brought out a wrecker and towed him back to town.  Turned out it was a bad "chip" in the truck's transmission.  A very expensive repair after getting in the transmission.  I wonder if the new trucks just have too many options that can go wrong.

 

Again thanks for the replies.

 

Our youngest starts driving in April.  How much you want for it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike, thanks for the offer but not ready to let it go yet.  I promised my wife that I would get her a SUV to replace her 2011 Honda Accord.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel the same way about my 2003 F-150.  The good news is there are lots of parts and lots of solid vehicles down south.  Mine came from Florida 3 years ago and I had it sprayed with a product from Canada similar to Fluid Film.  It has the 4.2 V6 which is a dog, but I didn't buy it to go fast.  130,000 miles and hoping to add another 100,000.  I'd like to be able to crack 20mpg but with the 33s 18 is tops and 15-16 the norm.  I paid $6200 including taxes and fees and other than tires and rims, my choice, have about $1200 more in it, $800 was a heater core. 

krt.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

 

Lucky you.  The very first new vehicle I bought (because I wanted to build things, not work on cars) was a 1995 F-150.

 

Both the tires were worn bald on the inside and they did not warranty the tires, but stated the alignment was “way off”.  Offered to do an alignment, but refused to do anything about the tires that were less than a week old.

 

Inline 6, 300 ci motor that the last 3 spark plugs would back themselves out and the service manager swore I was doing it myself to get out of the payments.  Not the case.

 

The passenger shock mounts came loose twice and the driver’s side did once.

 

The harmonic balancer on the driveshaft literally FELL OFF going down the road.

 

Radio quit working, and my dad refused to let me park on the driveway because of the rust stains it was leaving on the concrete (hadn’t even made it to a Michigan winter yet).

 

Literally as soon as it hit 36,000 miles, I got rid of it.  And vowed to never buy another new ford again.  It was honestly the biggest piece of crap I had ever spent money on.

 

Glad you have had great success with yours.

 

Same deal here except it was a 97 Chevy Blazer with so many problems I just couldn't take it anymore.  I still haven't been able to get myself to by GM again since then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a 98 Sierra that a bought for a song and drove to about 200k, a bad oil change blew the motor and I traded it, I wished for years that I had just dropped a crate motor in it and kept it going (had done the tranny a year prior). My current tundra has 170k and I dont expect will give me any problems until is crosses 250, I have less certainty in ability to revive it once it does than that old GMC. Going way back I had a 77 F150 that was on its 3rd motor we think about 450k miles (though it only went to 100k so it was just prev owners remembering when it turned the clock) and trusted that truck quite a bit. 

 

If you want that truck you can drop 10-15k and keep it running reliably another decade, could get similar results selling and going a bit newer. Could also fix it as stuff breaks and be cheaper overall but worry more on reliability. No right or wrong answer, if you want to keep that truck put some money into it, if you dont trade up, if your not sure keep fixing what needs fixing until one of the other options becomes apparent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got back from my auto repair shop.  I take this truck to them every time I get ready to go to Oklahoma for a top to bottom/front to back inspection on a lift.  They kept it two days and called me to tell me they could find nothing wrong to fix or replace on the truck.  

 

I guess I am leery of buying a used truck and inheriting someone else's problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...