REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
MUSTANGER7

2019 Ford Ranger 4 x 4 or Toyota Tacoma 4 x 4

MUSTANGER7

Looking into getting either of these vehicles appreciate any and all thoughts. Have an Expedition but its not 4 x 4. Need to be able to tow at least 3500lbs.

RookieEP

When visited Hawaii Tacos truck preference of the rich surfers 

WI Outdoor Nut

The Toyota will hold its resale value better.  Just one consideration. 

Windrider

If you have back problems of any sort, I’d take a good long sit in a Tacoma and see how you like it.

Brad Eden

I'm always wary of the first year in production of a vehicle, which applies to the new Ford Ranger. I also had a real dog of a Ford Ranger back in the mid 80"s that soured me on them. But the new version sure looks enticing. I had an early small Toyota truck before they named them Tacoma. It was a 6cyl 4x4 and I loved it. (Have had two first gen Tundras since then.)I have never towed anything larger than a utility trailer so that's all I got on that question. By the time I can think about a "new" truck there may be some used Ford Rangers out there that I would definitely look at, along with the usual low mileage lease trade in Tacoma's as my next truck.

NW River Mac

Tacos are the choice of most bear, cat and yote hunters for a reason, they stand up.  Resale seems to be as high on them as any vehicle.  My brother has one that he uses on the road for sales.  It's a tin can he says.  We just took a fishing trin in it, four hours one way.  It was ok but the seats sucked.  If your daily uses in below an hour you would probably be okay with the noise and ride.  anything more and it's a distraction and might make you regret the purchase.  No info on the ranger.

dogrunner

Ranger. 

WeeWilly

My wife has a 2018 Taco Offroad and loves it. I can't stand the small view out the windshield, piss poor seats, diving front end under braking and if you're over 5'8" have fun getting into the thing. We drove a mid grade Chevy Colorado and it had more pep under the hood, better seats and a huge windshield. It all came down to price and they were pretty much the same out the door. No brainer, Toyota for her. Don't have any info on the Ranger but are you dead set on a little truck vs. F150? If you're wanting to tow 3500lbs. neither would be my choice IMO.

Curt

Recently I had the opportunity to sit in a new Ranger pick up,  I could barely get in the thing.  I'm not a small guy at 6'4", 217lbs but there's no way I could own that little truck.  I have owned a Tacoma (09) and although it's also a small truck there was plenty of room to make me comfortable in the front seats.  

Jacksdad

not sure id want to tow 3500 lbs regularly in a small truck like that.  

I've been driving Toyota pickups for the past 17 or so years but if I were going compact nowadays I'd be sure to drive a Colorado before deciding.  I sat in a taco recently and did not like the cramped feeling.  

WI Outdoor Nut
4 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I'm always wary of the first year in production of a vehicle, which applies to the new Ford Ranger.

One of my best friends worked for GM in operations at a major plant.  He stated the same thing.  Year one, they are still figuring out all the bugs.  It doesn't matter if this is GM, Ford, or any other brand. 

1 hour ago, Jacksdad said:

not sure id want to tow 3500 lbs regularly in a small truck like that.  .  

Agree.  If you are pulling 1 or 2x's per year, fine.  But any length or more times than that, you will want more of a truck, both for power, but also stopping. 

Going back 10 years or so ago, I had a 17' lund with a 115 horse motor on a single axle trailer.  Weight loaded was around 3000#'s.  My 1/2 ton truck pulled it great.  Also had a Honda pilot at the time that had a tow rating of around 4000#'s I believe.  I pulled the boat one time and that was enough to know it was uncomfortable.  It had enough power to bring it up to highway speeds, but braking was iffy and you felt if the tail was wagging the dog feeling.  My general feeling, is you don't want to pull more than about 75% of the max load rating of the vehicle. 

bobman

I wouldn’t buy a first year truck either and unless you just like small trucks I don’t get the attraction other than parking ( which is probably less than one percent of your driving time). The fuel economy is so much improved in full size trucks that difference isn’t much and big or small they all get poor mileage towing. Bigger trucks are far better at towing.

salmontogue
1 hour ago, Jacksdad said:

not sure id want to tow 3500 lbs regularly in a small truck like that.  

I've been driving Toyota pickups for the past 17 or so years but if I were going compact nowadays I'd be sure to drive a Colorado before deciding.  I sat in a taco recently and did not like the cramped feeling.  

A 7500# boat, motor, trailer behind a Tundra is a frightening experience.  Above 60mph it becomes terrifying.  Did it once, never again.

Speaks

I only breifly owned a taco before deciding to go up to a tundra. As a rule my experience with toyota is that you will get more life out of it. Ford/chevy were just as good up to 100-125k miles but after that the toyotas did much better, not necessarily mechanically but in my fords the interior starts falling apart around that time while I have not seen that in the toyotas. Cant comment on seats or space in the new tacos. 

For towing I would go for a rating much higher than what you intend to actually tow. 3500 sounds a tad high for a small truck though depends on frequency, distance, speed, etc

MNice

I just rented a 2019 F150 XLT Lariat to move my daughter. All I can say is that was the most comfortable ride (700 miles) I've ever been on and changed my opinion on the Ranger, which I really like. For the price point and fuel economy, I'll be getting the F150 in the near future. My friend has a Taco and to me it's the most uncomfortable riding vehicle in it's class.