REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
MUSTANGER7

2019 Ford Ranger 4 x 4 or Toyota Tacoma 4 x 4

Brad Eden

Yup, sometimes it's clever marketing...the infamous "All terrain or mall terrain" commercial.

1 hour ago, salmontogue said:

I was going to buy another diesel, Ram or Ford, but the DEF problems are significant and, to make matters worse, I live in a cold climate area which only makes the DEF problems worse.

My next truck will be a 6.7 Powerstroke. 

Won't have DEF though. 😉 

chilly460

Seems the conversation got away from midsizes so I'll just relay experience with my 2017 F150.  I tow 6300lbs with it through mountains of PA and down to hills of Georgia, best tow platform I've ever had and I just have the little 2.7L Ecoboost.  

Power, for a truck, is no contest with these Ecoboosts and other naturally aspirated engines.  I had a 5.3L Chevrolet that towed the same 6300lbs, I've driven a 5.0L F150 with a light boat in tow, and towed with a Hemi pulling a load of firewood around 4500lbs, and towed the same 6300lbs combo with a 6.0L Chevrolet....the turbo V6 is superior for a truck.  In a drag race, which is silly as far as trucks are concerned, the V6 would run with the big V8s but lose ground as the RPMs climb, but loaded at 2200rpm running up a hill at 65mph, the turbo motors have way more usable power.  Frankly, in my opinion, today's trucks play the marketing game and ratchet up the horsepower instead of building a "truck" V8 with appropriate torque curve.  The RAM in particular felt lazy unless you spun it up over 3500rpm.  My truck gets 23mpg highway, 14.5mpg towing at 70mph, same driving always did 19mpg with a 5.3L Chevrolet or 5.4L Ford in the past, and 12mpg towing.  

terrym

For whatever reason the New Rangers aren’t selling very well up here. If you ever priced out the used Tacos you might be amazed at how good an investment they are. That being said my buddy has one and the seats are very low to the floor to the point I’m not comfortable in one. I think the new generation Canyons have a back seat that folds flat quite nicely. My dogs ride in crates on the back seat and that would weigh in the scales for me. If I was going to buy a mid size truck I think I would go GM. Just not a fan of small turbo engines in a truck. 

Jacksdad

two things I'll add; with any tow vehicle pay attention to what rear end ration you're getting.  Toyota has long been a 4:30 or so rear.  That's a good thing for towing.  secondly on the full size Tundra the addition of the TRD rear sway bar helps quite a bit with handling and towing.  

bobman

One weakness Ram has is coil rear springs it gives a car like ride empty but gives up stability compared to the leaf springs the other three full size use in the 150-1500 size trucks so again its a useage and preference thing

toyota IMO should of dumped the taco and kept building there first gen tundra and the big current tundra as their two options

the first gen tundra is a perfect size for most non trades people 

they should of took that that 2.7 liter taco four cylinder engine and stretched it to an 3.5 liter in-line 6 with a timing chain 

it would of been bullet proof, had good low end torque and they already had many of the parts

there also was a factory supercharger available for the taco engine that could of been incorporated if you really needed power

dogrunner
2 hours ago, chilly460 said:

Seems the conversation got away from midsizes so I'll just relay experience with my 2017 F150.  I tow 6300lbs with it through mountains of PA and down to hills of Georgia, best tow platform I've ever had and I just have the little 2.7L Ecoboost.  

Power, for a truck, is no contest with these Ecoboosts and other naturally aspirated engines.  I had a 5.3L Chevrolet that towed the same 6300lbs, I've driven a 5.0L F150 with a light boat in tow, and towed with a Hemi pulling a load of firewood around 4500lbs, and towed the same 6300lbs combo with a 6.0L Chevrolet....the turbo V6 is superior for a truck.  In a drag race, which is silly as far as trucks are concerned, the V6 would run with the big V8s but lose ground as the RPMs climb, but loaded at 2200rpm running up a hill at 65mph, the turbo motors have way more usable power.  Frankly, in my opinion, today's trucks play the marketing game and ratchet up the horsepower instead of building a "truck" V8 with appropriate torque curve.  The RAM in particular felt lazy unless you spun it up over 3500rpm.  My truck gets 23mpg highway, 14.5mpg towing at 70mph, same driving always did 19mpg with a 5.3L Chevrolet or 5.4L Ford in the past, and 12mpg towing.  

The 2018  5.0 with the 10 speed runs dam good big difference from my 16 more power and torque and 4 more gears with a 3.73 that I always get in mine. 

bobman

These 8 and 10 speed transmissions are really nice, they keep these new engines in their sweet spot so even relatively small engines really pull strong when you need them to

Curt
4 hours ago, salmontogue said:

I was going to buy another diesel, Ram or Ford, but the DEF problems are significant and, to make matters worse, I live in a cold climate area which only makes the DEF problems worse.

I'm curious, what are the significant DEF problems you're referring to?  Maybe I've been lucky so far but with 96,000 miles on my 6.7L I haven't experienced any DEF issues.  I mean you have to add some from time to time but the truck tells you when to do that.  Must be something other than that.

MUSTANGER7

Hey guys thanks for the  great input!!! My current  vehicle is 2015 Expedition which will  pull 9000lbs I got it because we were pulling an aluminum Keifer two horse with  two 16.3 horse and it pulled great. We no longer need to pull but rarely as where we have our horses is has the Citrus WMA (50,000 acres) on three sides of it, at 75 and 71 we have come to realize our Snowy River days are over, just don't bounce as well. Actually we now mostly use to trailer ($15K) to get and store our hay, maybe use it once a month or so. Since I'm starting to bump the wall I want a 4 x 4 to get better access to work my dogs so I don't have to walk so far to the areas that hold quail. I've looked at both the Tacoma Limited and top of the line Colorado and neither one blew my skirt up, will be checking out the Ranger Lariat probably tomorrow, will check and see if they come with armor plating as they seem to attract lead pellets. ( Greg will never live that down) Our trailer is about 2300 and the horse are in the 1200 lb range so 7500 towing will work as the only time they will be towed is to be moved to a new site. Again thanks

bobman

Wow that’s a great place to ride I bet

I’m relocating up into north Ga and trying to find a similar setup trailering horse is a hassle 

salmontogue
2 hours ago, Curt said:

I'm curious, what are the significant DEF problems you're referring to?  Maybe I've been lucky so far but with 96,000 miles on my 6.7L I haven't experienced any DEF issues.  I mean you have to add some from time to time but the truck tells you when to do that.  Must be something other than that.

Crystallization forming in the injection mechanism, apparently exacerbated by freezing weather and poor quality DEF.  This information in not from personal experience but from service people including a friend who is a DPW manager in a large city and another who owns a Ford dealership.

Chukarman

I like both Fords AND Toyotas and have owned a number of both. For towing I will ALWAYS choose a larger truck... They do not need to be run at maximum power to haul a moderate sized trailer.

I've been driving my 2001 Ford 7.3 L F350 for many years - hauling either my 4500 lb. boat on a tandem axle trailer or 24' Airstream tandem axle travel trailer. I've put a couple hundred thousand miles on the truck, from the Canadian prairies to La Paz Mexico and from the west coast to the east coast. When not towing it gets 17 to 19 MPG, towing the Airstream it does around 12 MPG and does better when towing the boat.

Before the F350 I was towing with a 1998 Ford Expedition 4X4 with 5.4L V8 and self-leveling air suspension. A terrific road vehicle ( did about 17 MPG) and a fair performer on rough terrain, but a poor tow vehicle compared to the F350. It got worse mileage (about 7-8 MPG towing the Airstream) and felt less stable on the road. Based on this experience, I would not want to tow much at all with a small Ranger or Tacoma.

When it comes time for a new truck, I'll put a new engine in the F350, fix the road rash, and re-do the interior, which will cost FAR LESS than the cost of a new Diesel truck and no DEF.

My brother in Oregon bought a Ford Ranger 4X4 and returned it, then bought. a Tacoma, which he likes better but doesn't love. He does not tow much if anything with his trucks.

Bottom line - if towing is important, get a bigger truck.

533878423_PARKERBAJA.thumb.JPG.5cb2b279f313c6be658f8a6027f6519e.JPG

WeeWilly

But wait.......I thought a Tundra could tow a Space Shuttle!! 

Curt
9 hours ago, salmontogue said:

Crystallization forming in the injection mechanism, apparently exacerbated by freezing weather and poor quality DEF.  This information in not from personal experience but from service people including a friend who is a DPW manager in a large city and another who owns a Ford dealership.

Thanks for the info, I hadn't heard a word about that.