• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MAArcher

• garyRI

• WI Outdoor Nut

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think these cameras are great for certain things. However I have a big problem with people being able to use them during the hunting season. In many states two way communications devices are illegal

That's a big assumption.  You must have better staff at your local store than we do.  I couldn't get proper help on muzzle-loader info, much less any technology. 

I've already posted that Im not interested in cell cameras, but I never judge those who might choose to use them. Personal ethics are exactly that: personal and none of my business. Those cell cams ar

Posted Images

Good question, these are becoming increasingly popular. This might gain more traction in the Big Game/Deer Forum. See how it goes and I can move it there if needed.

mister grouse

I think you mean the ones that send a cell phone photo of movement in the camera focus site?   If so, I have two friend who use those things extensively.  One is an avid anti- trespasser guy and has busted poachers using them, and the other is a guy who just likes to see the game on his place "live'.   No question the cameras provide MRI .   I can find out brands etc if that is what you mean?

4 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Good question, these are becoming increasingly popular. This might gain more traction in the Big Game/Deer Forum. See how it goes and I can move it there if needed.

I wondered about posting there or here thanks.

3 hours ago, mister grouse said:

I think you mean the ones that send a cell phone photo of movement in the camera focus site?   If so, I have two friend who use those things extensively.  One is an avid anti- trespasser guy and has busted poachers using them, and the other is a guy who just likes to see the game on his place "live'.   No question the cameras provide MRI .   I can find out brands etc if that is what you mean?

Yes. Looking at the Bass Pro/Cabelas mailers I am all of a sudden seeing lower pricing. In front of me is a BassProShops ad for sale price of 99.97 for a SPYPOINT LINK-MICRO. Would appreciate your friends' input.

While they are nice they are not legal to use in NH during hunting season so I will stick with the old way.

• 3 weeks later...
WI Outdoor Nut

My brother was dealing with thieves and trespasser's on his property last year.  The police officer suggested a cell phone camera pointed at a dummy camera with the intention the dummy camera would be stolen and the cell phone camera would catch the perp in the act.  Well it did, and now he has a neighbor he refers to as "Bolt-Cutter Bob" as he was using his bolt cutters to cut the locks off.  Since last year and catching Bob and his buddy, all has been good.  So now he is using it to monitor hunting areas. 

At the time last year, he did a lot of research on which one to buy, keeping in mind he didn't want to go too expensive as his cameras were getting stolen.  He ended up with Spypoint due to cost, cell phone coverage of the area, battery life and quality.  

Attached is a photo from this past morning.  Note, when transmitted via cell phone, the quality is taken way down.  This is a 154 kb photo, whereas most of our other photos are between 1.5-4 mb.  If you pull the chip from the cell camera, they are full size. 

Make sure no matter what camera you go with, the carrier for the camera (Verizon, ATT, Etc) has coverage.  I know a few people who bought cameras and never worked because it was a dead area for that company.   

2019-9-4 Big D finger.jpeg

I'm a confirmed Luddite and it's a miracle I can run and maintain this Board with all the admin and moderator functions and updates etc. so the likelihood of me ever getting a cell trail camera is "remote".  I don't even use the video function on my regular SD trail cameras. I have 5 and all but one are soaking. One is at camp doing surveillance on anybody vandalizing or trying to break in, one is out behind the house looking for deer movement, and two are in my Expanded bow hunting area near two of the ladder stands. That season starts this weekend, but Saturday looks like a wash out. I rather like the anticipation of pulling a card after weeks or even months, slipping it into a reader and into my iPad or iPhone and waiting for the images to load. It would be convenient for my phone to ding and load remote trail cam photos  but I hate it when it dings for notifications in general. I'm hanging onto this digital age by the skin of my teeth as is.

A friend of mine has a couple. At the moment, he's using them to monitor and time lapse his cabin build on a remote border lake. I think it's set to capture each hour which is pretty neat considering it's a good five hour drive. Almost too much technology.

On 8/16/2019 at 11:40 AM, WPG Gizmo said:

While they are nice they are not legal to use in NH during hunting season so I will stick with the old way.

Its only illegal if you hunt the animal on the same day as the camera was in use.

My cousin has one out now.  I'll report back when he gets his first pics.

I have to walk down to the spot where I want to place one to see if I get ATT cell coverage there. Pretty sure I will. More of a gun hunting spot than archery. At the edge of woods/pasture and not possible to get in or out of a blind without alerting everything. Also no convenient trees. I'm the only guy with permission on this 150 acre farm and have left it alone BUT last year I saw a deer that is at least a 150 point rack walking out of the main trail & I want to try to start patterning him.

damn, that was a good sale.  They are $150 now.

hundred bucks at Dicks online till tomorrow.

Anyone know if you have to have a separate plan for every camera?  Or can you have multiple camera's under the same monthly plan?

30 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

hundred bucks at Dicks online till tomorrow.

Anyone know if you have to have a separate plan for every camera?  Or can you have multiple camera's under the same monthly plan?

Where I'm at in MT has the Outdoor channel in TV.  They keep running an ad that Cudddeback will let you have up to 16 cameras on whatever system they run off of for $10 a month while that the competition is charging $10 a month per camera.  My guess is they have a data deal worked out with VZW and/or ATT and it's part of the package when you buy a camera.  You have to send the camera guys the money but I wouldn't be surprised if it's "6 month deal" or something like that. IoT modems (cameras in this case) are no different then your cellphone.  Someone has to pay the carrier and the camera manufactures won't take a loss for long on the data.