Cell phone game cameras

1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

Should we really be using dogs to find the birds and dogs with GPS collars telling us exactly where the dog has a bird pinned down that we might get a chance at killing...is that really Fair Chase?...ask an anti, or even a non hunter and some eyebrows might get raised...stones, thrown, glass houses and all that. Devils advocate etc....

I didn't even think of that.  That's funny.  Using a Garmin Alpha is exactly the same as using one of these cell cams.    

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MAArcher

• garyRI

• WI Outdoor Nut

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think these cameras are great for certain things. However I have a big problem with people being able to use them during the hunting season. In many states two way communications devices are illegal

That's a big assumption.  You must have better staff at your local store than we do.  I couldn't get proper help on muzzle-loader info, much less any technology. 

I've already posted that Im not interested in cell cameras, but I never judge those who might choose to use them. Personal ethics are exactly that: personal and none of my business. Those cell cams ar

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

While I don't own any cell phone cameras, even if you do, you still need to beat the deer in their environment at the given time.  I have many cameras out and for me, it helps me set up where I want to hunt, pending the bucks I have in the area.  It also helps me set up for when I am taking kids out.  When they 1st start out, just seeing deer is huge and that alone often equates to a successful hunt (even though nothing was harvested).  As mentioned earlier, my brother bought the cell camera due to theft and trespassing, but now does use it to monitor deer movement.  I have a few friends that are many hours away from where they hunt.  The cell cameras save them a lot of road time back and forth just to check cameras. 

Attached is deer from this past morning, camera is the same as the 1st photo I posted.  Looks like 2 different decent bucks.  So now we need to set up a stand there, and this information is helping us make that decision. 

2019-9-5 big d finger.jpg

My take on this is, well, my take.  I see nothing at all wrong with game cameras, I use them too.  I do see plenty wrong with Cell game cameras that can be used during the hunt.  If the cell cameras are in the next "zip code" I agree they give little advantage but if they are in the immediate vicinity it is a far different story.  It should be interesting to see the evolution of regulations concerning their use.  My concurrent optical use during the hunt is limited to riflescopes and binoculars.

37 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

My take on this is, well, my take.  I see nothing at all wrong with game cameras, I use them too.  I do see plenty wrong with Cell game cameras that can be used during the hunt.  If the cell cameras are in the next "zip code" I agree they give little advantage but if they are in the immediate vicinity it is a far different story.  It should be interesting to see the evolution of regulations concerning their use.  My concurrent optical use during the hunt is limited to riflescopes and binoculars.

There's already laws regarding drones in many jurisdictions, but that will probably be the next big question.  Fly a thermal outfitted drone over a corn field and find out where the deer and bear are laying.  Maybe use it to push the deer your way.  No telling how technology with evolve and change the way some hunt.

WI Outdoor Nut
43 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

Don't disagree.  I guess we don't use them that way so I don't feel we are violating any fair chase issue.  My 14 year old son brought up an interesting thought.  One of our hunting properties is a river bottom where the deer use it as their high-way per se.  One could set up a few cameras 1/4 mile apart or so, and literally monitor which deer (aka: the big buck) is where and the direction he is going and set up accordingly.  I know I won't be doing that, but someone could I guess.  But I will admit, I do use the cameras to pattern the animals (I say animals because I use cameras for both deer and turkeys).  So if X buck is coming out on X field when a SE wind is present, guess where I am going to hunt on my next SE wind?  Or if the flock of turkeys show up at X field most days between 2-3 pm, guess where I am going to hunt in my afternoons.  I still need to get the game in range and pull off a good shot.  Still hunting to me. 

And FWIW - I don't know anyone who is using the immediate download and send option when a photo is shot (with the exception of my brother when he was trying to catch the thief).  Simply put, it takes too much battery life and cell data to operate that way.  Most folks send photos 2x's per day or so. 

59 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

I didn't even think of that.  That's funny.  Using a Garmin Alpha is exactly the same as using one of these cell cams.    

Not exactly unless there is a Go-Pro on the dog/s

One could argue that GSP coordinates from a pointing dog/ Collar still gives the exact location of a bird,  just like a photo of a deer marked at whatever cell trail camera it was taken on. But the camera doesn't lie, whereas, well I've hiked into quite a few false points....or the bird was long gone... 😲😉

22 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

One could argue that GSP coordinates from a pointing dog/ Collar still gives the exact location of a bird,  just like a photo of a deer marked at whatever cell trail camera it was taken on. But the camera doesn't lie, whereas, well I've hiked into quite a few false points....or the bird was long gone... 😲😉

Oh yeah....a fact of life while hunting.

10 hours ago, MAArcher said:

Ahhh the silly rationalizations of man.  Why does killing a deer have to be "fair"?  I'd say say that if the deer could speak it would say any scenario where it ends up dead isn't fair.  Just give some thought to how illogical it all is.  If I lure a deer to my back yard with bait and shoot it from my kitchen window its not fair, but if I chase it up and down a mountain for a week it is?  Fair to who?  Do we really think the deer has a sense of fairness, or it really matters if it did?    Is it immoral to use a chum bag when fishing?  Using a lantern to attract fish at night?  Night hunting coyotes?  Who decides?  Based on what criteria?  To who's benefit?  Why doesn't fair chase apply to all living things?  Is it wrong to squish a fly in your house if the windows and doors are closed, but OK if the door is open and there's an escape rout?  

While most will argue that laws promoting fair chase provide hunting opportunity to more people by limiting success rates, that doesn't necessarily make it right.  There are plenty of other ways to make sure only an affordable amount of animals are killed.  Some people place the meal ahead of the acquisition experience.  How can anyone find fault in that?  What about the young, old and weak?  Why are they less deserving of getting their venison stew just because they can't climb a mountain?  Fair chase is a shortsighted, arbitrary and illogical code of conduct that is actually immoral because it precludes many from participating in their natural place in the food chain.  

This year financial circumstances and dwindling hunting grounds are resulting in me having only a small fraction of the time I historically needed to fill the freezer.  I'm going to Dick's after work in hopes a couple of cell camera's give me the edge I need to still be successful.  

Ok. You think the concept of fair chase is dumb. Got that. 

So is the system you suggest one where the powers that be, using good science determine how many deer tags to sell (similar to how it's done now) and then say, "We don't care, how you kill your deer, we don't care when you kill your deer, we don't care where you kill your deer, as long as you only kill the amount that you have tags for."? Is this the situation you envision? Where we get rid of the irrational personal ethic, and have a system that is purely science based?

14 hours ago, Jakeismydog2 said:

Ok. You think the concept of fair chase is dumb. Got that. 

So is the system you suggest one where the powers that be, using good science determine how many deer tags to sell (similar to how it's done now) and then say, "We don't care, how you kill your deer, we don't care when you kill your deer, we don't care where you kill your deer, as long as you only kill the amount that you have tags for."? Is this the situation you envision? Where we get rid of the irrational personal ethic, and have a system that is purely science based?

Close to that, but where/when/seasons still mater.  Avoid pregnant does if needed.  If we all agreed I'd be ok with managing for buck/doe ratios and age structure and whatever makes sense to maintain and manage a healthy resource.  That's all still under a science based approach.   What I don't like is someone telling me its unethical (and I'm a bad person and morally inferior for doing it) to shoot a deer over bait because they believe it should only be done with a stick, string and loin cloth or whatever.   That's no different than telling me how I can or can't pray.   

10 hours ago, MAArcher said:

Close to that, but where/when/seasons still mater.  Avoid pregnant does if needed.  If we all agreed I'd be ok with managing for buck/doe ratios and age structure and whatever makes sense to maintain and manage a healthy resource.  That's all still under a science based approach.   What I don't like is someone telling me its unethical (and I'm a bad person and morally inferior for doing it) to shoot a deer over bait because they believe it should only be done with a stick, string and loin cloth or whatever.   That's no different than telling me how I can or can't pray.   

I have not heard anyone suggest this system before. There is a basic logic to this system that is hard to argue with. I think the public in general would not support it. There is too much established "ethical framework" in our society about hunting for the public as a whole to be ok with spotlighting deer, or other assorted currently illegal methods of take.

• 1 month later...

OK I bought a Stealthcam WXA about a month ago. Tried a couple times to set it up myself with not a spec of success. Got it running this AM with a customer support guy on the phone for about an hour. If I bought another one I might be able to set it up myself but I think it is impossible without on the phone support.

On 9/6/2019 at 10:00 AM, MAArcher said:

Why don't you just sign up to have a haltered deer delivered to your house, so you can dispatch it at your leisure?  It seems like there is huge trend to keep writing checks to tip the scales in our favor.  High dollar leases, crossbows during archery season, muzzle loaders with scope and sabots, networks of game cameras, baiting, food plots just to attract not help them through the winter, and consultants all to make deer a commodity.  It has got the point where a discussion of fair chase is considered a restriction on freedom of religion.  😏

1 hour ago, co_setter said:

Why don't you just sign up to have a haltered deer delivered to your house, so you can dispatch it at your leisure?  It seems like there is huge trend to keep writing checks to tip the scales in our favor.  High dollar leases, crossbows during archery season, muzzle loaders with scope and sabots, networks of game cameras, baiting, food plots just to attract not help them through the winter, and consultants all to make deer a commodity.  It has got the point where a discussion of fair chase is considered a restriction on freedom of religion.  😏

I’m all for fair chase if that’s what you want to do.  And I may play that game once in a while too.  I just don’t think you have the right to point a gun at me and tell me that’s the only way I can do it.

WI Outdoor Nut
On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 5:19 PM, MAArcher said:

I’m all for fair chase if that’s what you want to do.  And I may play that game once in a while too.  I just don’t think you have the right to point a gun at me and tell me that’s the only way I can do it.

I agree.  As long as we are in the rule of the law, why can't we do what we like?  It would be similar to saying one can only shoot game birds with a 16 ga sxs over an English setter with a tail at high noon.  Go hunt how one likes!

A NO progress report

I have had three calls with Stealthcam's customer support and my STC-GXATW cell phone camera still isn't working. First the customer support person told me I needed to setup a gmail account as I couldn't  make it work using an aol account. Latest is I need to do a firmware update. You look at their list of updates and tell me which one is the category I need. And where are the firmware update instructions. This phone is a great concept, but I can't see that it is possible to use. This thing is being returned to Amazon.

Also Re: any game cameras

I used to have several around the 150 acre property I hunt. i mostly setup at the edge of pastures. Used the cameras all the time. Never got a picture of a really big deer. Last year I didn't put them out and I stayed out of the woods/sanctuaries. I shot the top two deer I have ever taken last year. Green gross scores in the high 120s. Makes me wonder if checking game cameras spreads human scent around that the big deer might avoid.