Cell phone game cameras

WI Outdoor Nut
On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:28 PM, garyRI said:

A NO progress report

I have had three calls with Stealthcam's customer support and my STC-GXATW cell phone camera still isn't working. First the customer support person told me I needed to setup a gmail account as I couldn't  make it work using an aol account. Latest is I need to do a firmware update. You look at their list of updates and tell me which one is the category I need. And where are the firmware update instructions. This phone is a great concept, but I can't see that it is possible to use. This thing is being returned to Amazon.

Also Re: any game cameras

I used to have several around the 150 acre property I hunt. i mostly setup at the edge of pastures. Used the cameras all the time. Never got a picture of a really big deer. Last year I didn't put them out and I stayed out of the woods/sanctuaries. I shot the top two deer I have ever taken last year. Green gross scores in the high 120s. Makes me wonder if checking game cameras spreads human scent around that the big deer might avoid.

Right now I think I have around 15 cameras in the field.  I believe all but 2 are in easy to access areas that Won't disrupt deer.  I don't have cameras in bedding areas or in my sanctuaries.  The two that might disrupt an area, I seldom check.  When I do, it is very high winds, rain or late at night.  This year out of the 5 properties I hunt, 2 are holding bucks that I would personally shoot.  3 are not.  And with the number of kids we have, they have lower standards on what they can shoot.  So for them, I put the kids in stands with high success rates for what they are after.  All of these adjustments are made DUE to cameras. 

I think if you do it right, the amount spooking deer can be very low.  As I have mentioned, my brother is running a few cell cameras.  That is the bomb for sure and he has those in bedroom type areas that we don't want to enter. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MAArcher

• garyRI

• WI Outdoor Nut

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think these cameras are great for certain things. However I have a big problem with people being able to use them during the hunting season. In many states two way communications devices are illegal

That's a big assumption.  You must have better staff at your local store than we do.  I couldn't get proper help on muzzle-loader info, much less any technology. 

I've already posted that Im not interested in cell cameras, but I never judge those who might choose to use them. Personal ethics are exactly that: personal and none of my business. Those cell cams ar

Posted Images

On 11/1/2019 at 8:35 AM, WI Outdoor Nut said:

the amount spooking deer can be very low

Could be. But can never be positive about one that did get spooked that you didn't get a picture of.

I have a friend who's killed truck loads of deer, and recently he's trying to settle down and just kill larger buck.   he has a dozen trail cams and tries to keep them in spots where he can check them once a week without disturbing the deer.  He got a nice deer the other day and took him to a taxidermist, someone we both know.  And the taxidermist showed him some really big deer that he had recently taken in, four exceptional deer, from four different hunters.   What the taxidermist said was that the one thing all four had in common was that each of the four hunters used a cell cam to locate and pattern their buck and then they don't hunt the sweet spot until the cell cam shows its time.  I thought that was some interesting info.   

On 9/4/2019 at 3:17 PM, Brad Eden said:

I'm a confirmed Luddite and it's a miracle I can run and maintain this Board with all the admin and moderator functions and updates etc. so the likelihood of me ever getting a cell trail camera is "remote".  I don't even use the video function on my regular SD trail cameras. I have 5 and all but one are soaking. One is at camp doing surveillance on anybody vandalizing or trying to break in, one is out behind the house looking for deer movement, and two are in my Expanded bow hunting area near two of the ladder stands. That season starts this weekend, but Saturday looks like a wash out. I rather like the anticipation of pulling a card after weeks or even months, slipping it into a reader and into my iPad or iPhone and waiting for the images to load. It would be convenient for my phone to ding and load remote trail cam photos  but I hate it when it dings for notifications in general. I'm hanging onto this digital age by the skin of my teeth as is.

Hate to admit it Brad but I may be more

of a dinosaur than you. I own no trail cams and hate most things that I have to use a computer for. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2019 at 8:35 AM, WI Outdoor Nut said:

As I have mentioned, my brother is running a few cell cameras.

Which ones? I got my Stealthcam working but it was very difficult

WI Outdoor Nut
6 hours ago, garyRI said:

Which ones? I got my Stealthcam working but it was very difficult

Spypoint.  it did take him some time to get it all figured out FWIW.