Whose Elk Hunting this Year?

On 8/29/2019 at 12:19 PM, sharptail grouse said:

Hope he doesn't live to regret that decision :)

He might as he did not connect on the first of 3 hunts. My dad was there and said he would have taken it. He has 2 more 4 day hunts starting this weekend. The last day of the first hunt they got a call from a farmer. This hunt is a management hunt where they try and cut down on problem animals and thin the Hurd in certain areas. The farmer wanted another bull hunter so they went there for the last afternoon. My dad said it was a nice farm and could see the damage they were doing. They did not see any but it looked like a good place to connect. My bro in law said this monster came off there a few days earlier. That’s a stud for our area. 

F0A32120-E382-40D4-90AA-5DED09E68AC3.jpeg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dogrunner

• Big Al

• sharptail grouse

• Up North

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I’m not elk hunting anymore this year. I was successful in getting a bull permit for the district my ranch is in after five years of applying.  I got this guy this morning.  A 6 x 7.  My first ev

Nephew got his Elk back. A very lucky 🍀 young man. 

Nephew scored last evening. 6x7 #701, second biggest the butcher in the area had seen. Must have been that lucky hat  😉

Posted Images

My son Ethan didn't draw this year, so he has a cow tag for a November rifle hunt.  I drew for a December muzzleloader either sex tag. Should be a good time on both hunts.

51 minutes ago, Scrappy said:

My son Ethan didn't draw this year, so he has a cow tag for a November rifle hunt.  I drew for a December muzzleloader either sex tag. Should be a good time on both hunts.

I drew a bull tag last year so couldn't put in for much.  Got talked into putting in for a December muzzy either sex hunt by a buddy...and really that was the only thing I could put in for besides landowner permits.  Didn't draw on the landower permits but  drew the December muzzy hunt.  I don't even own a muzzleloader...I don't want to own a muzzleloader...so might be tough.  :)   

Every year I lose a few trees in my shelter belts to the elk.  This is the latest example. He shouldn’t make me angry.  He won’t like me when I’m angry.

5E933742-6F0E-432C-BD8D-D73FDF38746B.jpeg

sharptail grouse
2 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Every year I lose a few trees in my shelter belts to the elk.  This is the latest example. He shouldn’t make me angry.  He won’t like me when I’m angry.

5E933742-6F0E-432C-BD8D-D73FDF38746B.jpeg

Don't get mad - get hungry :D

Besides Russian olives are about a nano from being on the invasive species list. He was just doing his part! ;)

sharptail grouse
On 9/10/2019 at 9:14 AM, dgfavor said:

I drew a bull tag last year so couldn't put in for much.  Got talked into putting in for a December muzzy either sex hunt by a buddy...and really that was the only thing I could put in for besides landowner permits.  Didn't draw on the landower permits but  drew the December muzzy hunt.  I don't even own a muzzleloader...I don't want to own a muzzleloader...so might be tough.  :)   

He just talked you into it so he'd have somebody to help haul out his elk 9_9

Be out in Washington trying to fill an archery cow elk this weekend

then to NE Oregon trying find a bull next week

hopefully be successful like the previous year

tPvfQm6.jpg

I have a permit for a bull the last two weeks of the season in the unit where the northern Yellowstone elk herd migrates thru, when moving to their winter range. Additionally, I have a b tag for a cow in the unit my brother and I hunt normally. So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe there will be some elk meat in the freezer.

I look forward to every elk season.

P1000535.thumb.JPG.3d9601f40e6a397f3b5f607102afd97a.JPG

P1000559.thumb.JPG.c6243971fa4c2ca7cbcaecbba3d6ffcc.JPG

29 minutes ago, sharptail grouse said:

Don't get mad - get hungry :D

Besides Russian olives are about a nano from being on the invasive species list. He was just doing his part! ;)

No doubt they’re invasive.  When I planted the belts the state nursery was still selling them.  I’m pretty sure they don’t anymore. 

No worries about mine becoming a problem.  They need lots of water and they ain’t getting it where these are planted.  Now the river bottom that’s another story.

I went on my first elk hunt today. We saw some on a ridge across from us, and it had a nice bull in the bunch. Cool being out there in the midst of the bugling.

Nephew struck out on the second hunt, now maybe he's wishing he shot one of the 2 other bulls he was told to pass on, 1 more 4 day hunt to go. 

1 hour ago, dogrunner said:

Nephew struck out on the second hunt, now maybe he's wishing he shot one of the 2 other bulls he was told to pass on, 1 more 4 day hunt to go. 

I’m not going to be choosy if the opportunity arises. 😉

23 hours ago, dogrunner said:

Did he tip the guide?

2 hours ago, Dave in Maine said:

Did he tip the guide?

I would think so but he has 1 more 4 day hunt starting next Friday. They have hunted with a couple different people and 1 of them was a friend so I’m sure my bro in law will hook them up when there done.