Whose Elk Hunting this Year?

2 hours ago, sharptail grouse said:

Nice bull! Was that the one that tore up your shelter belt?

No way to know.  But he paid the price.  There is a herd of upwards of thirty bulls in the area.  Could have been any one of them. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dogrunner

• Big Al

• sharptail grouse

• Up North

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I’m not elk hunting anymore this year. I was successful in getting a bull permit for the district my ranch is in after five years of applying.  I got this guy this morning.  A 6 x 7.  My first ev

Nephew got his Elk back. A very lucky 🍀 young man. 

Nephew scored last evening. 6x7 #701, second biggest the butcher in the area had seen. Must have been that lucky hat  😉

Posted Images

I guess I’m going. I let a friend talk me into a going to Colorado . I’m having second thoughts but I’ve already paid for it so I guess I’m committed. We’ll see

I guess I should have went to Montana. My buddies got 5 out of 5 bulls(and 3 bucks) on a DIY hunt.Snow and cold weather moved the elk around.   Nice bull Al.

7 hours ago, sharptail grouse said:

Shot a nice fat young cow yesterday. 

Pretty chilly out there yesterday.Good eatin for the winter. My buddies pulled out of there tonight,driving thru the night.

On 10/27/2019 at 6:58 PM, Big Al said:

Well I’m not elk hunting anymore this year. I was successful in getting a bull permit for the district my ranch is in after five years of applying.  I got this guy this morning.  A 6 x 7.  My first ever elk.  At 73 it gets harder to have first time experiences.  So this is pretty special.

13A2A759-48AA-471B-9828-DE3364F1F39F.jpeg

That is simply AWESOME!!!  

8 hours ago, RookieEP said:

When you have time Id love to hear more play by play.  

I shot him at about 8:45 last Sunday morning.  It was about a 250 yard shot.  My deer rifle is a .270 and I didn't feel comfortable trying to shoot a bull with that caliber so I went out and bought a Tikka 7mm Mag just for this hunt.  I know elk are killed with .270s but I really wanted a little more punch. 

We watched the herd of 17 bulls come across the field for about an hour.  They were taking their sweet time.  I had no idea if they would cross in front of me.  There are several exit points they use and it's a guessing game which one is the right one. 

My ranch is purely recreational so the crop damage tags wouldn't be available to me.  I did apply for a land owner preference tag this year but I don't know if that made the difference.  I had accumulated four bonus points so it might have been those that got it for me.  I'll apply land owner preference next year also and if I get a bull permit I'll know that's the reason.

I’ve got a cow tag this year and have until the end of December to fill it, so I really haven’t spent much time on finding a cow.

However, I did go out with a friend this past Sunday on a early morning scout and local road trip. About a mile into the road we were driving on, 4 big cows were encountered about 30 yds off the road, unspooked, standing broadside, on the other side of a fence that had posted signs on it. Oh well, as I said I have until the end of December.

18 minutes ago, idcut said:

. Oh well, as I said I have until the end of December.

Now that's the correct way to look at something !

• 4 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 1:37 PM, dogrunner said:

11C14652-72DA-4B76-8F53-43CD95A9A5D9.jpeg

ECEC2AFF-3C90-4F55-8173-F29736915659.jpeg

Just spectacular!

On 3/14/2020 at 11:37 AM, dogrunner said:

spoiled for life.

9 hours ago, Up North said:

spoiled for life.

Yep. Although he may never get a tag in our state ever again, so good thing he punched that tag.