• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dogrunner

• Big Al

• sharptail grouse

• Up North

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I’m not elk hunting anymore this year. I was successful in getting a bull permit for the district my ranch is in after five years of applying.  I got this guy this morning.  A 6 x 7.  My first ev

Nephew got his Elk back. A very lucky 🍀 young man. 

Nephew scored last evening. 6x7 #701, second biggest the butcher in the area had seen. Must have been that lucky hat  😉

Posted Images

Birdcountry70
On 3/22/2020 at 9:41 AM, Okhotnik said:

Taxi said mine is almost done

aq1uhHH.jpg

Does your taxidermist offer a warranty? Looks like one of the antlers already fell off that whitetail on the wall.😉

• 4 weeks later...

The Montana permit drawing results came out yesterday and I was successful for my bull elk permit.  After going five years and not getting it I have now gotten it two years in a row.  Now I can't wait for deer/elk season to get here. 

shoot-straight
14 minutes ago, Big Al said:

The Montana permit drawing results came out yesterday and I was successful for my bull elk permit.  After going five years and not getting it I have now gotten it two years in a row.  Now I can't wait for deer/elk season to get here. 

Congrats Al, get another nice one!

16 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Very lucky 🍀 man. 

8 hours ago, Big Al said:

congrats! Two in a row? I'd go buy a lottery ticket too!

I'm waiting with baited breathe for the NM draw on the 29th

Birdcountry70
9 hours ago, Big Al said:

Wow, you're on a roll! I got nothing again this year.

I'll be hunting elk over the counter during archery season and a rifle tag should come through for 3rd season.  I applied for a mule deer tag in my local unit hoping to have my kids tag along.  My daughter just got her hunter safety certification and she is old enough for big game so I'm hoping she gets a tag as well.  If all else fails we'll beg my wife's cousin to come up to Wyoming over Thanksgiving to hunt white tail.  There is a conservation tag that you can get over the counter for private land that isn't too expensive. 

Hunted Colorado back in the mid 70's to 90's, first one I shot broke me from sucking eggs, was five miles in took four trips to haul him out using a packboard and he was only a 5 pointer. After that by coincidence I had gotten into horses, what a difference a horse makes, never hunted on foot again for mule deer or elk. Two trips for an elk and one to carry a mule deer. Get some horses.

On 4/15/2020 at 5:15 PM, Lurch said:

congrats! Two in a row? I'd go buy a lottery ticket too!

I'm waiting with baited breathe for the NM draw on the 29th

They surprised me with an email this morning, a week early... SUCCESS!!!

joy, followed immediately by "Oh, CR@P, I got a lot of work to do before October!"

4 hours ago, Lurch said:

They surprised me with an email this morning, a week early... SUCCESS!!!

joy, followed immediately by "Oh, CR@P, I got a lot of work to do before October!"

Is this an area you have hunted before? 

28 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Is this an area you have hunted before? 

Never hunted elk (thinking 20ga #4s with modified choke?)  and never hunted NM for anything. 

However, one my hunting buddies from KS moved down there 4 years ago and has been doing the ground work, hoping that we could draw a tag and join him. Not good odds for NR permits, failed last year, but got the surprise this morning. Wondering if application numbers overall may have been down due to all the extracuricular fun we've all been experiencing.

27 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Never hunted elk (thinking 20ga #4s with modified choke?)  and never hunted NM for anything. 

However, one my hunting buddies from KS moved down there 4 years ago and has been doing the ground work, hoping that we could draw a tag and join him. Not good odds for NR permits, failed last year, but got the surprise this morning. Wondering if application numbers overall may have been down due to all the extracuricular fun we've all been experiencing.

#4s ought to do it.  Might consider a 16ga though. 

On a serious note.  Last year was my first time elk hunting. My deer rifle is .270.  I didn't feel like it was enough rifle for me so I bought a 7mm Mag for the elk.  Glad I did.

Congrats on the tag.  Hope you bag a big one.

13 minutes ago, Big Al said:

#4s ought to do it.  Might consider a 16ga though. 

On a serious note.  Last year was my first time elk hunting. My deer rifle is .270.  I didn't feel like it was enough rifle for me so I bought a 7mm Mag for the elk.  Glad I did.

Congrats on the tag.  Hope you bag a big one.

Thanks! Got rid of my 30-06 when I moved from KS to IN (no rifles for deer here) but picked up a Tikka 300WM just for an someday-elk dream trip a couple years ago.

I'm just glad to have the chance!