Questions for Ann Jandernoa of Northwind Maps

Tomorrow I’ll be interviewing Ann Jandernoa of Northwind Enterprises / Scout-N-Hunt for our now annual pre-season ruffed grouse chat on the Project Upland Podcast.

If you have any questions you’d like answered about grouse, grouse dogs, grouse habitat, grouse hunting and/or grouse mapping please feel free to leave them below.

Thanks everyone!

Check out last year’s conversation in case you missed it...

https://projectupland.com/project-upland-listen/bird-hunting-podcast/mapping-and-hunting-ruffed-grouse-and-woodcock-with-ann-jandernoa-project-upland-podcast/

Starting on Sept 15th (roughly the start of the season) and moving forward at 15 day increments (9/15.10/1, 10/15, 11/1 etc) what changes about the type of cover that Ann would be looking for birds in?  What changes to the birds make as the season progresses?  What are changes in the environment that would make Ann ignore one cover type and focus on another (e.g leaf drop, mast drop, etc).  What are situations ( time of year & cover type) where when Ann see hunters in those situations she knows finding birds will be difficult because it's the wrong combo of cover and time of year?

11 hours ago, Dave Quindt said:

Starting on Sept 15th (roughly the start of the season) and moving forward at 15 day increments (9/15.10/1, 10/15, 11/1 etc) what changes about the type of cover that Ann would be looking for birds in?  What changes to the birds make as the season progresses?  What are changes in the environment that would make Ann ignore one cover type and focus on another (e.g leaf drop, mast drop, etc).  What are situations ( time of year & cover type) where when Ann see hunters in those situations she knows finding birds will be difficult because it's the wrong combo of cover and time of year?

Great questions, thank you Dave!

On 9/3/2019 at 9:09 AM, tomturkey2x2 said:

I keep going to your  podcast , but I have not found your interview with Ann ? How to find?

Ann and I actually rescheduled our interview for next week. I still plan to release the episode just in time for grouse seasons opening across the Great Lakes States. I will be sure to provide a link to the interview here when it's published.

For now, if anyone else has more questions for Ann, please feel free to leave them here all week.

Thank you! 

Nick, My comments would similar to Dave's. I have been informally tracking crop contents throughout the season to try and see when there are significant switches from soft mass to hard mass. Obviously that's difficult as there are factors that impact soft mass production so that switch may not be consistent from year to year. Regardless it would be interesting to hear her insight into food and cover sources throughout the season.

Where does she get her data for creating the Northwinds maps? How often is it updated, and how accurate does she guarantee it to be? Does she drop off cuts/waypoints that get to a certain age (therefore making each year different than the previous, and eliminating aging habitat)? Specifically thinking of the VA and WV maps for these questions.

What role does she see for independent handheld GPS units in the age of increasingly-sophisticated smartphones? 

Northwind Enterprises was a long term UJ Ad Sponsor/Board supporter but decided not to renew some years back. That's fine, I wish them the best of luck. 

Fins and Feathers

I second for the question about Maine maps.  Any plans to create maps for Maine?   I have emailed in the past and asked the question but they have declined to answer me.  Maybe you will have better luck.  

On 9/1/2019 at 10:56 PM, Dave Quindt said:

I started writing a question but realized that this pretty well summed up what I was going to say. Two things I would add though are how does she look at grouse and wood cock cover differently and at what age does a cut become not worth the time to hunt. A potential third one would be if a cover seems like is should be productive but is not what would she look for to determine why. 

• 2 weeks later...

The episode with Ann Jandernoa is now online. Available via the link below. It will soon be available most anywhere podcasts are available depending on when the hosts refresh their podcast feed.

Thanks to all the UJ'ers that participated!

https://projectupland.com/project-upland-listen/76-grouse-habitat-qa-with-ann-jandernoa-project-upland-podcast/

Fins and Feathers

If I understood correctly Ann mentioned having maps for 3 counties in western Maine.   However a search of her website and I cannot find anything.   Anybody have any info on this?