REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
barna

Jeep or 4 runner ?

barna

Took my jeep (2005 grand Cherokee) in for an alignment because the front tires were wearing to the inside.  The mechanic said that the entire front end is shot and would cost about 3K to get it fixed.  There are 275K miles on the jeep, so putting this investment maybe not a wise move.  His recommendation was to put it out of its misery.  So I have narrowed my search down to 2 vehicles.  A 2012 Toyota 4 runner and another jeep, 2010 model grand Cherokee,  both cars have low miles about 65K, the 4 runner is about $10K more than the jeep.  The jeep is the limited model has the 5.7 liter 360HP Hemi with  all the bells and whistles.  The 4 runner is the SR5 with a V6 and 260HP.  The gas mileage is also close, 21 for the jeep and 22 for the 4 runner, both HWY predictions.  The jeep is the last of the model year of that body type, after the 2010 model if was Fiat owned Chrysler.   The 4 runner is the last of the model with a truck type frame, after it was uni-body. 

What does the brain trust say?

Barna

bobman

What the hell could be wrong with the front end that would be three grand I would get a second opinion 

CheckCord

4Runner.  No question.  Won’t have the power the jeeps has but they are bulletproof.  If you can find one get the latest model 4Runner V8 you can find.  

WPG Gizmo

2012 4 runner is 5th generation after having a 4th Gen 4 runner there are a couple of thing that get expensive Brake calipers have a tendency to freeze up on you when you least expect it,  there is also frame rust that is not covered by Toyota I just junked a 03 that the frame rotted away on to the point of being unrepairable.  That said the 4 runner is a very good off road vehicle and I never had a problem with it.

2009 to present are 5th Gen and they all have frames no Uni body. 

The 4Runner is built on the same platform as the FJ Cruiser.[21]

Get the vehicle you like they are both capable

I hate Jeeps. Love 4Runners.

But I'd buy either vehicle you're looking at. Unless the Jeep has AC seats. Then the Jeep for sure. 

martyg

The 4Runner is gutless. If you can live with that...

I just put $10k into mind. 1999. Totally new suspension, raised it, new tires, timing belt, new steering rack.

AsI told my wife, if you took a photo of our driveway now, and in 20 years, the one constant would be the 4Runner.

The  thingI like most about it???  I don’t care if I ding it. It is my gunk holing vehicle.

martyg

You also see a shitload of old 4Runners in the 4 Corners area - many of which are well seasoned. You just don’t see old Jeeps. Lots of new, shiny ones. Few old ones.

blanked

An extra 10 grand It’s hard to swallow.  I read lots of reviews those Hemis going 400,000.  

275,000 is no slouch either.   That 5.7 will be a blast to drive

tut

I have a 2010 4 Runner.  145K and running like a top.   Only things that ran into a few bucks besides normal stuff is I had to in the last two years replace both front Wheel Bearings and I did have one Caliper freeze up that had to be replaced when I did a brake job.  Other then that nada.  21 MPG on the highway.  About 18 MPG running around.  Engine is smooth as silk and the 4 Wheel Drive system works great.   Mine is the SR5 with leather interior, running boards etc.   I owned one Jeep and absolutely hated it (Grand Cherokee) as did my wife.  Was an absolute rattle trap.  We had rubber washers placed all over the dashboard because of the rattles.   Ours had the straight 6 and the engine was ungodly rough.   Only thing that vehicle had going for it was it looked good and the 4 wheel drive system was great.  

GLS

I've owned two Jeeps in my life and I miss neither of them.  The first was a  70's era pick-up that I drove for a few years before getting rid of it.  I bought it at  U.S. Marshall's auction and paid $3K for it.  Mechanically sound; structurally shakey as it had been driven over salted roads in the north before heading south.  I've partially documented the travails of my 1990 Grand Wagoneer in another thread.  The only thing good about it was the 7/70000 miles warranty.  It was a mess.  The final straw that broke its back was 20 years ago when Jim, my father-in-law was dying.  The Jeep was 50 miles shy of 70,000.  I took it to the dealer on Friday to check it over and service it fully.  The oil pan had been removed to service it fully.  I picked it up Saturday morning to take the kids to my in-laws about 100 miles away.  When I got 5 miles from the dealer, I noticed my oil pressure was zero.  I pulled it over and had a full stick of oil.  I called the service department and they said they probably knocked loose the sending unit wire and to keep on driving it.  By the time we got to Louisville, GA, the engine was making gawdawful sounds.  I had to have it flatbedded back home.  Dealer told me I was out of warranty and too bad.  I was 50 miles over the 70K when it arrived via flatbed to the local dealer's.    A buddy's son, a master mechanic speculated that when they replaced the oil pan, a silicone sealant was used and bits of it clogged the oil pick up line at the bottom of the pan and starved the engine which toasted the crankshaft, etc.  From the dealer, I got the number of the Southeastern Factory rep, told them what happened and  he was there for tear down.  He called me and said they still disputed the facts, but that if I would pay $250 for parts not related to the problem that were old and while they were rebuilding it, would make it a better engine.  I paid the money and traded the Heap in for a 1997 T100 4x4 which I kept until 2010 and got $4200 for it with 177,000 with the money applied to a new Outback for my daughter in the Cash for Clunker program.  I hated losing the T100, but I was also driving a 2003 Sequoia 4x4 which now has 224,000 miles on it.   I just read a 2018 longevity survey on the vehicles most likely to have 200,000 miles and of all vehicles sold in 2017, over 6.6% of all Sequoias sold had over 200,000 miles with .2% over 300,000 and still driving.  My Sequoia was built on the Tundra frame and drive train.  Tacoma, 4Runner and Avalon were in the top 10.  https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2018/04/03/marathon-runners-vehicles-most-likely-to-last-for-over-200000-miles/#8ccc1fd6a0a4 My brother drives his wife's hand-me-down 1997 LX470, the Lexus spiffied-up Land Cruiser.  He has 335,000 miles and still driving.  Most of the miles are city driving.  

Buy the Toyota.  Oh, what a feeling...  Gil

john mcg

Funny this should come up.

Ridge Runner

Owned 3 of each.   Prefacing with ---Three jeeps were pre 2000.  Three 4 Runners post 2000.   No comparison.  4 Runners hands down imo.  Seeing a lot of frames in Jeeps about 10 years old locally needing replaced.  Design flaw + road salt = problem.  Rest of vehicle rusting out too though, so...    Maybe better in south where no salt or don't drive in winter conditions.

Dogwood

I assume given 275K miles on your Jeep you liked it pretty darn well.  I've not owned but have driven modern Toyota 4R's; I'm sure they are built well but drive like dogs, as Marty said completely gutless. Lots of cargo room.

Had a 2017 Jeep GC basic 6 cyl. rental in Wyoming 3 weeks ago for a week.  Even at 8K elevation it could scoot, very comfortable seating, beautiful ride.  Apparently the hemi's run forever.  Jeeps have a rep for electical bugaboos.

Life is short.  Drive what you LIKE.

7 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Life is short.  Drive what you LIKE.

Exactly. 

It's a rare vehicle that is an investment. If it is an investment, you're not driving it. 

If you're going to lose money, you might as well be smiling. 

WMassGriff

4Runner.