REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
barna

Jeep or 4 runner ?

Dogwood

Good choice for all the right reasons enjoy the new rig!

Okhotnik
19 minutes ago, barna said:

smart choice

OK so looks like I am going with a 4 runner, the dealer made a good offer and they also put brand new tires on it.  At 61K miles its a great deal and I liked the way it drove, does not have the pick up of the V8 in the jeep but not bad.  I like the 2H to 4H and 4L selection, my jeep was 4H all the time with 4L as needed. 

I drove the grand Cherokee limited with the 5.7 Hemi, it had great power but the suspension was too soft for my liking, it was not trail rated so maybe that was the difference.  It just didn't feel right. 

Barna  

sprocket

I'll be honest - I read the original post and skipped over the rest.  If you're brand loyal then stop reading.

Given the years of manufacture and the lack of off road use.  I'll go Toyota 4-runer vs Jeep Grand Cherokee every time.  If you said 1978 Gran Cherokee, etc.  Then Yep - Jeep all the way.

The 4-Runners are great - skip over to a Tacoma with a topper or cap and you might be conflicted.  I have a 2006 Tacoma and would consider a '12 4-Runner easily as an upgrade.

Even off-road I'll take the Toyota over Jeep because your models listed, Its not hard - just do your math.  Cargo room, GPM, etc - keep good tires on it.

ryanr
On 9/1/2019 at 8:12 PM, barna said:

Took my jeep (2005 grand Cherokee) in for an alignment because the front tires were wearing to the inside.  The mechanic said that the entire front end is shot and would cost about 3K to get it fixed.  There are 275K miles on the jeep, so putting this investment maybe not a wise move.  His recommendation was to put it out of its misery.  So I have narrowed my search down to 2 vehicles.  A 2012 Toyota 4 runner and another jeep, 2010 model grand Cherokee,  both cars have low miles about 65K, the 4 runner is about $10K more than the jeep.  The jeep is the limited model has the 5.7 liter 360HP Hemi with  all the bells and whistles.  The 4 runner is the SR5 with a V6 and 260HP.  The gas mileage is also close, 21 for the jeep and 22 for the 4 runner, both HWY predictions.  The jeep is the last of the model year of that body type, after the 2010 model if was Fiat owned Chrysler.   The 4 runner is the last of the model with a truck type frame, after it was uni-body. 

What does the brain trust say?

Barna

I wouldn't buy the 8 cylinder Jeep, at least my mechanic always said "the 6 is good but stay away from the 8 on the Jeeps." And even the newer 3.7 6 cylinder Jeep engine doesn't hold a candle to the bulletproof quality of the original 4.0 liter Chrysler 6 cylinder. I recently bought an '07 4Runner SR5 V6 and I love it. Rugged, body on frame construction and an excellent 4.0 liter engine. 

barna
22 hours ago, ryanr said:

I wouldn't buy the 8 cylinder Jeep, at least my mechanic always said "the 6 is good but stay away from the 8 on the Jeeps." And even the newer 3.7 6 cylinder Jeep engine doesn't hold a candle to the bulletproof quality of the original 4.0 liter Chrysler 6 cylinder. I recently bought an '07 4Runner SR5 V6 and I love it. Rugged, body on frame construction and an excellent 4.0 liter engine. 

I am very pleased wit the 4.7 V8 performance, besides burning a little oil after 250K I had no issues at all.  I was told the opposite, the V6 was way under powered for the vehicle size and the V8 was getting a better gas mileage. 

I will end up fixing (probably next spring, don't have time now) the suspension on my Jeep and keep it as a back up.  I figure it will cost about 400 in parts and about 1200 in new tires eventually. 

Barna

ryanr
3 hours ago, barna said:

I am very pleased wit the 4.7 V8 performance, besides burning a little oil after 250K I had no issues at all.  I was told the opposite, the V6 was way under powered for the vehicle size and the V8 was getting a better gas mileage. 

I will end up fixing (probably next spring, don't have time now) the suspension on my Jeep and keep it as a back up.  I figure it will cost about 400 in parts and about 1200 in new tires eventually. 

Barna

Yes, with the smaller 3.7L V6 they run in them now but that was decidedly not the case with the 4.0L straight 6 cylinder they ran in them through 2006.  That engine is universally recognized as one of the best engines ever built and offers plenty of power. 

barna
2 hours ago, ryanr said:

Yes, with the smaller 3.7L V6 they run in them now but that was decidedly not the case with the 4.0L straight 6 cylinder they ran in them through 2006.  That engine is universally recognized as one of the best engines ever built and offers plenty of power. 

No arguments on the inline 6, awesome engine,

Barna

aje4

Yota!

Recoil Rob

I had a 1997 4 Runner got used in 2004 from a friends daughter who never took it off road. I loved that truck but never should have gone surfcasting on Chappy with it. Even though I judiciously hosed it down every time I came off the beach the frame was gone in 6 years. Sold for parts

ryanr
1 hour ago, Recoil Rob said:

I had a 1997 4 Runner got used in 2004 from a friends daughter who never took it off road. I loved that truck but never should have gone surfcasting on Chappy with it. Even though I judiciously hosed it down every time I came off the beach the frame was gone in 6 years. Sold for parts

Now it's the brine they use in winter that can do that damage quickly. The recommendation is to go thru a car wash after a snowstorm and get the undercarriage option. 

GLS

My first Jeep pick up I bought at a bankruptcy auction had been use in salted road conditions.  It had a rust hole near the transmission hump in the cab.  I had it a few years and sold it to a friend who used it on a lowcountry island's beach.  One day while driving on the beach, the front bumper fell off, winch and all.  I don't know what I was thinking when I bought the damn thing, but I know what I was thinking when I sold it.  Gil

RJR

Glad I have no salt worries where I live.  

john mcg
1 hour ago, Marc Ret said:

No 4wd John?

Oops! I missed that. Ya gotta be 'wheelin.