REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
john mcg

SUV/Small Truck Hunt Soon

john mcg

Before long I will be getting into a used vehicle of one or the other--before heading back to NH.

No salt and such around these parts.

The choices for now

Frontier/Tacoma

Pathfinder/4runner

Used of course.... I have owned several Nissans and all with the same 6 cylinder motor and the Nissans are often priced lower than the Toyotas. I think the higher prices are not due to quality, but by the hysteria of the cultists.

I loved my Frontier with the cap and drawers I built, but the Pathfinder provides more comfort for the dogs.

I want to be able to get back into the old class 6 roads, so a full size truck is not being considered.

blanked

Do you need/ want a trail rated ?  Locking differential?

WPG Gizmo

John I just saw a Frontier a couple of weeks ago get rammed from a 10 wheel dump with a full load into a stopped school bus the rear was collapsed to the back window the front to the front window the cab was completely intact and the driver got minor aches that says a lot about the built in safety of that vehicle to me I dont know if the pathfinder would take that same beating. 

aje4

I would go the Frontier route....and then build another drawer system like you had in NH.  I thought I might be heading back to NE (Vermont) but it didn’t pan out....I’m close to being debt free now so the thought of a new mortgage may deter us from moving.  That and our kids are in middle and high school....

Windrider

Nissan vehicles depreciate rapidly for the the first few years.  The Xterra and Frontier frequently do 180k trouble free miles before things start breaking.  Mileage isn’t awesome.

You might look at an old Ford Ranger.  The v6/auto combo is reputed to be a 250k mile drive train with minimal to no problems.  I had a ranger that I sold to my nephew.  He sold it at 350k.  Between the two of us the total maintenance for non consumables (oil, brakes, clutch) was less than $500.

blanked

Those 6 cylinder small trucks get horrible gas mileage.  

terrym

There’s no doubt about it that an SUV sure is better transportation for dogs. A/C in the hot months and heat in the cold ones. My dogs ride in crates on the back seat of my truck. 

john mcg
15 hours ago, blanked said:

Do you need/ want a trail rated ?  Locking differential?

Don't need a locking differential. Slow and easy and high and dry.

john mcg
13 hours ago, WPG Gizmo said:

John I just saw a Frontier a couple of weeks ago get rammed from a 10 wheel dump with a full load into a stopped school bus the rear was collapsed to the back window the front to the front window the cab was completely intact and the driver got minor aches that says a lot about the built in safety of that vehicle to me I dont know if the pathfinder would take that same beating. 

That must have been quite a sight!

kgb
12 hours ago, Windrider said:

Nissan vehicles depreciate rapidly for the the first few years.  The Xterra and Frontier frequently do 180k trouble free miles before things start breaking.  Mileage isn’t awesome.

You might look at an old Ford Ranger.  The v6/auto combo is reputed to be a 250k mile drive train with minimal to no problems.  I had a ranger that I sold to my nephew.  He sold it at 350k.  Between the two of us the total maintenance for non consumables (oil, brakes, clutch) was less than $500.

Ours was a 1990, v6 and manual, the fellow we sold it to taught his two kids to drive a stick on it and he sold it at just under 250k with the original clutch still in it.  It seized a bearing shell to a front spindle which our mechanic called a one-time anomaly, other than that totally reliable.  Regular cab, it pulled 18mpg on the highway, at best 20, so a couple mpg better than the 318/manual and 4.7/auto Dakotas that came next.  Pretty sure I used synthetic lubes in the transfer case and axles of the Ranger, don't know if that helped or what sort of maintenance it had after we had it.

john mcg

What do you know about an '04 Ranger. I found one with 38K miles and looks like new with new rubber.

One owner. Manual tranny. 3 liter 6.

GLS

From what I gather researching, of all the Nissan's (including cars), the Frontier has more longevity as opposed to its other lines because of its incremental improvements over the years rather than rapid model replacement.  However, it is more than a cult following, unless it's the Cult of Longevity, that sets the Toyota above.    A used Ford Ranger maybe a better choice as well as the older Mazda which was a re-badged Ranger.  The current Ranger may get more acceleration out of it's 4 cylinder which is supercharged, but that also accelerates engine wear.  I had a 1980  Datsun King Cab 4x4 that served me well.  Goofy looking front end but it did me okay.   I'd never thought I'd live to acknowledge Ford's superiority to Chevy, but times have been a changin'.    All of this SUV/4Runner talk has got me Jonesin' for one or the other.  Toyota has announced a price increase on 2020 Tacomas and 4Runners as they have improved safety electronics and Iphone and Android capabilities.  Gil

john mcg

All vehicles have their problems over the years and Toyotas certainly aren't omitted.

The low range torque on my Frontier was wicked nice when rock crawling and managing the tough two track stuff.

I like a full size truck and have owned both Ford and Chevy, but some of the spots I like to get into are just two tight.