REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
john mcg

SUV/Small Truck Hunt Soon

SPMN

I’ve had a Frontier and currently have a 4Runner. Both are great except for the terrible mpg’s. The Frontier (in king cab configuration) was just too small inside for my needs. I miss the bed sometimes, but I’ll drive the 4Runner for another decade or so. I really like it. The dog loves the sliding rear window. 

Dogwood
On 9/8/2019 at 3:22 PM, john mcg said:

What do you know about an '04 Ranger. I found one with 38K miles and looks like new with new rubber.

One owner. Manual tranny. 3 liter 6.

Wow if you don’t take it I will send me the link. Really like manual trannies!

john mcg

Its 2 wheel drive.

Brad Eden

I heard the Frontier has a ridiculously large turning radius. Thought it was a thing. Used Frontiers always peak my interest because they are typically less money than a comparable used Tacoma. Are they relatively the same size inside and out as a Tacoma? I don't think someone can go wrong with a Nissan or Toyota. Wife currently has a 2013 Rogue. It her favorite small AWD vehicle, and she's had a Rav 4 and a CRV.

john mcg

Very similar to the Tacoma. Contrary to popularized belief--they are both equally good vehicles.

I have owned 4 Nissans with the same motor---good motor.

watermen

The price of used rangers locally is crazy!  I've been looking for my daughter and the 8-12 range buys a 12-15 year old truck.  My FIL bought a new one 2 weeks ago and it was 29 OTD with average bells and whistles.  4WD and a super cab with a seat big enough for dogs.  Rangers seem to hold their value as well as anything.  At least they last here,  and don't rust to a heap in 10 years.  

john mcg

I have noticed all of the trucks around here are crazy priced used and new ones are of course worse.

Certified Pre-owned inventory pricing makes a new one a better deal often.

All around inflated prices and it seem fueled by all of these car buying sites.

Kinda like social media fuels idiots.

Brad Eden

I had a Ford Ranger once. First new truck I ever bought, this would have been around 1985. 4 cyl, single cab POS. They must have come a long way since then. That thing couldn't gain enough speed to get out of its own way. The new Rangers sure are good looking, ill look hard at one of those since they should be coming up used in the next year or so.

PaFlyfisher

At the risk of sounding crazy, you may consider a Subaru Forester. 8.7 inches of clearance, decent angles, a robust AWD system, and the more recent models have this very useful off-road cruise control mode. It won't be a rock-crawler, but it doesn't sound like you need one. They provide ample cargo space (deceptively so, due to unibody design in contrast to the body on frame stuff you are considering), you will double the gas mileage vs the 6Cyl trucks you are considering, and you will pay less to purchase the vehicle. They will fit down skinny forest roads, and turn way better then the Frontier.

Perfect vehicle for a hunter who doesn't need a dedicated, purpose built, off-road rig or who doesn't have more than 2 dogs, IMHO.

john mcg

I may consider this. We are on our second Outback Wagon, but I honestly have never even looked at the Forester.

It may be worth consideration.

PaFlyfisher
2 minutes ago, john mcg said:

I may consider this. We are on our second Outback Wagon, but I honestly have never even looked at the Forester.

It may be worth consideration.

I prefer it over the outback because: 1. cheaper 2.shorter. 3. taller, more useful geometry to cargo area. 4. better angles. 

I think combined these make it better in the woods. The outbacks look nice, however, and I haven't compared them side-by-side in real world use.

john mcg

The approach and departure angles are better on the Forester.

The Outback has similar clearance and I have taken them on some fairly gnarly stuff.

Perhaps a Forester. I will look into a mild lift--even a small body life would help.

salmontogue
17 minutes ago, Bede said:

I prefer it over the outback because: 1. cheaper 2.shorter. 3. taller, more useful geometry to cargo area. 4. better angles. 

I think combined these make it better in the woods. The outbacks look nice, however, and I haven't compared them side-by-side in real world use.

Can you get two kennels side by side in the Forester and/or the Outback and, if so, what size kennels?

Mike da Carpenter
3 hours ago, john mcg said:

I have noticed all of the trucks around here are crazy priced used and new ones are of course worse.

Certified Pre-owned inventory pricing makes a new one a better deal often.

All around inflated prices and it seem fueled by all of these car buying sites.

Kinda like social media fuels idiots.

Not to mention the “Cash for Clunkers” program that removed all the vehicles that were still pretty good and an easy place to get used parts from (if needed), or get teenagers into their first set of wheels at a fairly decent price.  Not so easy to do anymore.

Tim Frazier

Xtera's are a screaming deal right now IMHO.  Find one below 75,000 miles and rust free and you will be good for 10 years!