REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
john mcg

SUV/Small Truck Hunt Soon

john mcg

Ryan--how many more miles have you put on the 4Runner since that 175K?

john mcg

Anyway---I am leaning now more toward a 4Runner. It has a frame and is more rugged than the Pathfinder.

Not quite a deal breaker depending on other variables found in any potential deal.

Folks sure are proud of even the high mileage units, though.

ryanr
1 hour ago, john mcg said:

Ryan--how many more miles have you put on the 4Runner since that 175K?

Only about 2K or so since I bought in mid-July. But I know a several people with 4Runners around that year and older that have put 250-300,000 on theirs and all praise them highly for that ability and their 4WD capabilities too. They all say, along with my mechanic, change the oil regularly and other periodic maintenance and they'll easily get over 200,000, and a number of them over 250,000+. It's a Toyota after all.

I was looking for a one with more like 150,000 and missed out on one in exceptional condition at that mark and then waited 2 or 3 more weeks before this one popped up. After seeing the fantastic condition of the body, tires and interior, first thing I did was go there on a Sunday (closed) and crawl underneath with a flashlight to look at the frame, etc. The condition underneath mostly matched everything I saw with the body and interior. The tail pipe had rust and the muffler looked like it had life left but everything else was just some surface rust. 2 weekends ago, the tailpipe snapped clean off right at the muffler. Had my mechanic inspect the whole thing he said everything in front of the muffler looked good so we just replaced muffler/tail pipe. He looked it all over and said I should be good to go now for hunting season.

For me, owning the vehicle without car payments is a huge plus. For a 12yr old 4x4, it is in very, very good shape and should serve me well as my hunting/training/weekend rig. And my $5700 used Honda Fit I bought with cash in March with 105,000 is serving me very well so far as my daily commuter. If you're a little patient (I sorted through many vehicles not nearly in the same shape) older used vehicles still in great shape at great prices are out there. (Right before my Honda, I had a Toyota Matrix that I put 308,000 on as my only hunting/fishing/daily commuting car. I bought that with 75,000)