• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• MAArcher

• Samuel Hoggson

• Spiller

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rabbit out of the proverbial hat. At the buzzer. Last minute. Literally. Long season, wasn't really looking forward to bringing out the muzzleloader. Rifle season officially ended today at 4:26. Big d

Girls had me pinned most of the AM.  Woods were quiet, otherwise.  Think it's early.   ETA:  Uh, no.  It is not early.  For sure.    Saw this guy antler-wrestling a smaller one.  C

True. I am sitting monitoring detention right now so I might have some time. I had a great season. I have gotten much better at just liking to sit and watch. Of course there is often not much to watch

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

No sarcasm on my part, I love my Viper.  

I was being sarcastic....and my days of using a climber are OVER. I'm lucky I've been able to weasel my way up the rungs of a ladder stand after knee surgery and underlying arthritis.

2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I was being sarcastic....and my days of using a climber are OVER. I'm lucky I've been able to weasel my way up the rungs of a ladder stand after knee surgery and underlying arthritis.

I can still use a climber but ladder stands and tower stands have ruined me.  It’s just to easy to crawl up the ladder.    I will say this. If I lived out west I’d be more of a big game hunter. I like the idea of climbing to the top of a tall ridge, glass.  Then when I spot one   Begin the stalk to get within range.  

Climber stands got a lot easier to use after I figured out I had been using them backwards. Climbing with my back to the tree and supporting all my weight on my arms when moving the foot platform wasn’t so bad when I was young n skinny. But it got harder with each year and pound. Then I bought a Summit and actually watched the how to video. Only then did I realize I should face the tree and set my fat arse on the frame for the seat. 

“Real men don’t need instructions.”

22 minutes ago, topdog1961 said:

Climber stands got a lot easier to use after I figured out I had been using them backwards. Climbing with my back to the tree and supporting all my weight on my arms when moving the foot platform wasn’t so bad when I was young n skinny. But it got harder with each year and pound. Then I bought a Summit and actually watched the how to video. Only then did I realize I should face the tree and set my fat arse on the frame for the seat. 

“Real men don’t need instructions.”

So many people would enjoy their climber stand if they know how to nest them together for easy and quiet transport too.  In the case of Summit Vipers I tell everyone to make sure they get the square tube aluminum version.  There's a round tube that doesn't nest well and the steel versions too heavy and will rust.

I will say that even 21lbs is feeling heavy these days though.  If they made a carbon fiber one at half the weight I'd sell some guns to afford one and keep me in the trees for a few more years.

I had the square tube Summit Viper. I sold it last fall. I liked it alright but was never a dedicated tree climber/hopper. I used mostly hang ons in spots I had pre-scouted on boots and with trail cams early on. I still have several hang ons, and sets of treestep ladders. My favorite hang on is an old Ol' Man with the mesh seat. Super comfortable. I carry a thick butt pad with me to my ladderstands. They are actually reasonably comfortable, again, given the tree you lean your back on is somewhat smooth. I'm heading to my Early season management bow spot this afternoon. 

we used to build a ton of ladder stands out of wood. Now you can buy the 2 man version ladder stand at wally world for a good bit less and a good bit less work .  I usually add a couple ea year to our property . I catch them on sell when the season is about over.

Last Friday afternoon was uneventful up in my tried and true "Brad Stand"....except for when a siren went off at a nearby road (again, urban management bow hunting) and several coyotes started howling in response. They were only 100 yards or so away. I tried bleating them in, figuring I'd try and arrow one if possible. But they never showed. I was afraid of this. I have gotten way more yote photos on my two trail cams in this spot, and fewer deer than in years past. Still too early to tell. I typically don't see a lot of deer or movement until things cool off in October. The last deer I shot with bow here was in 2017 a slightly piebald doe on October 15th.

Early season urban deer hunting.  Sometimes I’m not sure why I do it.  80 and to hot to put on the camo when I got to the tree.  

7BC1FCDB-FD61-4D8F-9580-2A9E5CA42444.jpeg

13 hours ago, MAArcher said:

Early season urban deer hunting.  Sometimes I’m not sure why I do it.  80 and to hot to put on the camo when I got to the tree.  

7BC1FCDB-FD61-4D8F-9580-2A9E5CA42444.jpeg

Where's the dead deer photo? I heard those crossguns basically scout, call in the deer, and never miss. (Turn up sarcasm detector)

3 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Where's the dead deer photo? I heard those crossguns basically scout, call in the deer, and never miss. (Turn up sarcasm detector)

The only thing that came close to dying was my resolve to keep hunting.  When I got back to the truck after seeing no wild life other than a singe baby squirrel, a police officer stops to check me out.  Turns out he now lives on that street and wanted to know that I was up to and tried to discourage me from hunting in there.  I've been hunting in there for 20 years and now its all developed and the folks in the new monopoly McMansions don't like strange trucks or weird guys in camo.  

1 hour ago, MAArcher said:

The only thing that came close to dying was my resolve to keep hunting.  When I got back to the truck after seeing no wild life other than a singe baby squirrel, a police officer stops to check me out.  Turns out he now lives on that street and wanted to know that I was up to and tried to discourage me from hunting in there.  I've been hunting in there for 20 years and now its all developed and the folks in the new monopoly McMansions don't like strange trucks or weird guys in camo.  

So what was the outcome of that encounter? If you have permission from a landowner it's none of his business. I would think.

This is exactly the situation in our Maine Expanded/Management hunt in urban heavily populated zones. The coast of Maine is highly developed with McMansions since you need to be a bit wealthy to live with an ocean view. I happen to early bow hunt in one of the few inland urban zones so am lucky, although there aren't as many deer. But I know others who hunt the coastal areas, and have to go to great lengths not to be seen by residents in developments, and even those who gave permission to hunt their land are flinchy about angering their neighbors.

1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

So what was the outcome of that encounter? If you have permission from a landowner it's none of his business. I would think.

This is exactly the situation in our Maine Expanded/Management hunt in urban heavily populated zones. The coast of Maine is highly developed with McMansions since you need to be a bit wealthy to live with an ocean view. I happen to early bow hunt in one of the few inland urban zones so am lucky, although there aren't as many deer. But I know others who hunt the coastal areas, and have to go to great lengths not to be seen by residents in developments, and even those who gave permission to hunt their land are flinchy about angering their neighbors.

The encounter was ok as far as that sort of thing goes.  I have permission to park where I was.  I have to research what “open space” designated land in nh legally is.  He made it sound like it was private association owned land but I think it’s probably more like “current use”.  He didn’t tell me I couldn’t hunt.  Just warned me of children in the area. I’ll probably back in there this evening.

Just now, MAArcher said:

The encounter was ok as far as that sort of thing goes.  I have permission to park where I was.  I have to research what “open space” designated land in nh legally is.  He made it sound like it was private association owned land but I think it’s probably more like “current use”.  He didn’t tell me I couldn’t hunt.  Just warned me of children in the area. I’ll probably back in there this evening.

That's just it. What do children have to do with it? Other than not wanting them see you dragging a bloody dead deer to your truck, which is easy enough to avoid, and frankly it would probably do them some good. (You are rubbing off on me Ken). Maybe if it was in a rifle zone that might be a concern and a consideration. But people who don't bow or crossgun...hunt have nothing to worry about with their animals and children. IMO. Good luck making sure it's all good to hunt there.