Maine deer seasons have begun...

There is a nice tastey looking doe who has showed up on my trail camera hanging around my tree stand...unfortunately never when I am sitting. If I go in the morning, then I see her on the camera in the evening, if I go in the evening, I see her hanging around in the morning on the data card.

I do have to go to work so I have to sit when it is convenient...Do you think she is winding me? ...or is it just a matter of time until our paths cross? 

It is kinda infuriating...because once I have one in the freezer it takes the pressure off and I tend to hunt better when I am more relaxed and I have a more casual attitude about it...like if I don't care that is when I will kill something good...if I really really need to connect..I never seem to do it..

Same thing with fishing....I have to break the ice...then when I am more relaxed and I really don't give a crap, I just seem to fish better...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• MAArcher

• Samuel Hoggson

• Spiller

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rabbit out of the proverbial hat. At the buzzer. Last minute. Literally. Long season, wasn't really looking forward to bringing out the muzzleloader. Rifle season officially ended today at 4:26. Big d

Girls had me pinned most of the AM.  Woods were quiet, otherwise.  Think it's early.   ETA:  Uh, no.  It is not early.  For sure.    Saw this guy antler-wrestling a smaller one.  C

True. I am sitting monitoring detention right now so I might have some time. I had a great season. I have gotten much better at just liking to sit and watch. Of course there is often not much to watch

Posted Images

On 9/21/2019 at 7:59 AM, Spiller said:

There is a nice tastey looking doe who has showed up on my trail camera hanging around my tree stand...unfortunately never when I am sitting. If I go in the morning, then I see her on the camera in the evening, if I go in the evening, I see her hanging around in the morning on the data card.

I do have to go to work so I have to sit when it is convenient...Do you think she is winding me? ...or is it just a matter of time until our paths cross? 

It is kinda infuriating...because once I have one in the freezer it takes the pressure off and I tend to hunt better when I am more relaxed and I have a more casual attitude about it...like if I don't care that is when I will kill something good...if I really really need to connect..I never seem to do it..

Same thing with fishing....I have to break the ice...then when I am more relaxed and I really don't give a crap, I just seem to fish better...

Do you have pics of her morning and evening on the days you're not there and its only when you're there that she's not?  

I__00035.JPG

My "target" Doe.... 😆

Fourth or fifth sit in my Expanded/management area, can't remember how many. Have tried all three of the ladder stands we have set, both morning and afternoon. I haven't even had a deer blow at me. One might ask, why do I keep hunting that area, since it's obviously not very good. Well, this is urban management bow hunting in small parcels of land surrounded by houses, and roads. And it's Maine. Most of the Expanded zones are already full of bowhunters. It's very competitive. This piece only has me and the landowner hunting it. It's really my only option and I've shot a share of deer there over last 10 or so years. They just come slowly is all. I'm excited though. The cam near my most productive stand only had two photos of does at night after soaking for nearly two weeks. But the cam at a new stand had over 20 photos of does, fawns, a spike and a smallish 6 or 8 pt. Many in the dark but enough in am and pm during legal hours to keep me motivated. Only a matter of time and how often I can make the 45 minute drive.

I had a nice meat deer in front of me at 15 yards tonight.  Missed clean with my crossbow.  I suck so bad.  Deer took two steps and just watch me try and reload and wandered off before I could get another bolt knocked.

1 hour ago, MAArcher said:

I had a nice meat deer in front of me at 15 yards tonight.  Missed clean with my crossbow.  I suck so bad.  Deer took two steps and just watch me try and reload and wandered off before I could get another bolt knocked.

Ha I’m glad I’m not the only one who misses a chip shot!

9 hours ago, MAArcher said:

That there seems to be the biggest detriment to crossbows. The inability to fling another arrow quickly.

Just wow. It's been almost a week since I could truck up to my Expanded/management stands. Last time there I pulled a cam SD card and was rewarded with a decent amount of photos during daylight at a new stand. Does, small bucks. Perfect. With kitchen remodel, my oldest daughter arriving today for a weekend visit, and rainy weather, yesterday afternoon was the window I was looking for. Breezy, yes, but very cool with a cold front coming in over night. Perfect for the deer to be moving. Headed into the stand and with trembling fingers checked the cam....Zero, Zippo photos. I guess I should post about that in the anti trail cam thread...So my optimism was tempered as I climbed up the ladder stand. But it still felt like a good sit. A focused 3 hr vigil perched 16 feet began.... scanning, scanning, scanning for that hint of brown movement,...listening, listening, listening for that heart popping "crunch, crunch, snap, crunch..."

Not even a squirrel accosted me. Such is deer hunting in Maine. We don't generally get to shop up here.

• 3 weeks later...

I__00017.JPG

Still no arrows flung. But this big momma doe has good personal hygiene...

Deer are feeding on acorns after midnight in the dark under a new stand. That line in photo is the HSS safety line attached to a ladder stand. Apparently they have glow in the dark braiding. My guess is the deer in this particular small slice of urban acreage isn't holding as many deer as usual. But every year a decent buck or two starts cruising during and after the rut. Regardless I'm still aiming for a mature Doe. Haven't given up yet. 

Our GA deer season (bow for about a month and this week, black powder) has been going for a few weeks.  Tomorrow the gun season commences.  Right on time to catch the latest tropical storm out of the Gulf.  Rain is predicted to start tonight around nine and go all night and all day tomorrow.  That ought to get the mosquitos started up again if it gets back hot. At any rate, I'll likely skip tomorrow and go Sunday.  We'll see...Selbylowndes

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had some drama on my Expanded/management bow stand yesterday afternoon. Last bow sit before rifle season. I probably won't be back much in November, but will bow hunt there after rifle the first week of December, weather permitting. 

Spike horn buck cruised through at 40 yards at 4:30. Stuck in the Pines and did cross one open area at 40 but too far for me and was moving so no shot. He meandered around and I could see movement off and on. Remarkable how hard they are to see in the woods. I tried some grunts and bleats but he had no interest and walked away. I figured he'd be back but nope.

Checked trail cam SD card when I got home. Seems we have a decent 10 pt in the area (can't see brow tines but I think they are there) Typical mature buck traveling in the dark. But they do get stupid when in the rut. This will get me back to that stand later.

I__00006.JPG

Resident Only rifle season day is Saturday. Regular rifle season begins Monday. I'm gonna try and get to camp up north Friday and deer hunt Saturday, unless something buggers that up. Going solo, so I best drop one that can be dragged out on my jet sled.

Residents Only rifle season begins tomorrow. I was all geared up to head to camp but that will have to wait until Monday. Wicked wind storm across Northeast blew out power most of last night and today. Back on now, but still windy as hell. It's gonna get cold tonite and I don't want to leave JoAnn without the generator going if we lose it again. Plus I'm sure trees are down up at camp across camp road so I'll need time to chainsaw my way in most likely. I'll try and head up on Sunday, sleep over and hit a new stand on Monday.

So I'll hunt around the house somewhere with rifle in AM, and have plans to bowhunt with my buddy and landowner at our Expanded bow spot in afternoon. Life in the fall isn't completely complete without a deer hanging on a gambrel on the property.

2 hours ago, gaberdeen said:

My shot on Wednesday. It was a trophy tree!

A7DE4661-798F-4F3D-8B45-B1767E75F017.jpeg

Been there done that.  This one might not be a trophy, but I'm hoping for a Pope & Young caliber maple this year. 

P&Y Tree.JPG

Nothing better then the sound of the arrow when you hit a tree like that either followed up by the fletching  visual vibrations. You can almost feel the hit in your arms .Similar to hitting a baseball on the wrong side of a bat.

Don't ask me how I know....... A 22 oz framing hammer works pretty good for pulling them out of the tree....