Jump to content

Maine deer seasons have begun...


Recommended Posts

Heard my share of squirrels, chipmunks and other people shooting (at) deer. Nice cold sit in a reasonably productive tree stand. And a slow still hunt back to the house. Must have spooked 100 ducks from a flooded beaver pond. I'm not kidding. Had a wedge of over 50 canada geese honk overhead. A successful morning to start off the rifle season. Back to bow this afternoon. At my age and with the last couple years of health hassles. Im just damn glad to be out there!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Brad Eden

    35

  • MAArcher

    11

  • Samuel Hoggson

    9

  • Spiller

    5

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rabbit out of the proverbial hat. At the buzzer. Last minute. Literally. Long season, wasn't really looking forward to bringing out the muzzleloader. Rifle season officially ended today at 4:26. Big d

Girls had me pinned most of the AM.  Woods were quiet, otherwise.  Think it's early.   ETA:  Uh, no.  It is not early.  For sure.    Saw this guy antler-wrestling a smaller one.  C

True. I am sitting monitoring detention right now so I might have some time. I had a great season. I have gotten much better at just liking to sit and watch. Of course there is often not much to watch

Posted Images

Samuel Hoggson

Girls had me pinned most of the AM.  Woods were quiet, otherwise.  Think it's early.

 

ETA:  Uh, no.  It is not early.  For sure. 

 

Saw this guy antler-wrestling a smaller one.  Couldn't get a shot for about 10 full minutes.   

 

Never before shot one on opening day.  205# dressed, 7 pts.

 

Was wondering where to find time for fahrwood.

 

2019openingday.thumb.JPG.53dc535c1a49bd6f8e98a99e64c8f92a.JPG

 

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Samuel Hoggson said:

Girls had me pinned most of the AM.  Woods were quiet, otherwise.  Think it's early.

 

ETA:  Uh, no.  It is not early.  For sure. 

 

Saw this guy antler-wrestling a smaller one.  Couldn't get a shot for about 10 full minutes.   

 

Never before shot one on opening day.  205# dressed, 7 pts.

 

Was wondering where to find time for fahrwood.

 

2019openingday.thumb.JPG.53dc535c1a49bd6f8e98a99e64c8f92a.JPG

 

  

Nice deer!  I have never shot a deer on opening day either. So I didn't bother to go out.  Maybe I should reconsider...

Link to post
Share on other sites

first patch buck?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Hoggson
2 hours ago, MAArcher said:

first patch buck?

 

Yup.  My son had two in consecutive years on his Junior license.  Sometimes jokingly told him I was jealous but we both knew I was much happier for him.

 

All great experiences.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
On November 2, 2019 at 11:30 AM, Samuel Hoggson said:

Girls had me pinned most of the AM.  Woods were quiet, otherwise.  Think it's early.

 

ETA:  Uh, no.  It is not early.  For sure. 

 

Saw this guy antler-wrestling a smaller one.  Couldn't get a shot for about 10 full minutes.   

 

Never before shot one on opening day.  205# dressed, 7 pts.

 

Was wondering where to find time for fahrwood.

 

2019openingday.thumb.JPG.53dc535c1a49bd6f8e98a99e64c8f92a.JPG

 

  

 

Handsome buck, Sam. I'm curious as to why that's a 7-point in Maine? PA rule of thumb was always if you could hang a ring on it, it was counted and that brow point on the right side looks to meet our hillbilly metric. 

 

Ruger Guide gun?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Marc Ret said:

 

Handsome buck, Sam. I'm curious as to why that's a 7-point in Maine? PA rule of thumb was always if you could hang a ring on it, it was counted and that brow point on the right side looks to meet our hillbilly metric. 

 

Ruger Guide gun?

 

 

I always heard 1" or longer.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, lee sykes said:

I always heard 1" or longer.   

 

PA's antler restrictions require the same 1" or longer for a "legal" point. By the PGC's standards, Sam's buck does look to be a seven point but it'd still be called an eight-pointer by most all us backwards PA hunters when bragging to our buddies. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It could have been injured while in velvet.  Iooks pretty impressive anyway.  Older deer, too by the looks.  I would happily hang up my rifle after one more like that one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2019 at 4:40 AM, Brad Eden said:

That there seems to be the biggest detriment to crossbows. The inability to fling another arrow quickly.

Pyramyd Air is now stocking a crossbow that has an air powered, dual piston actuated cocking system. flip a small lever and silently, quickly it either cocks or un=cocks the limbs. (there is a short video) P.S. You'd better have some deep pockets and also I have no affiliation with Pyramyd or the crossbow MFG.

link;  https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Sen_X_Onyx_Tactical_Crossbow/5012

Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Hoggson
4 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

Handsome buck, Sam. I'm curious as to why that's a 7-point in Maine? PA rule of thumb was always if you could hang a ring on it, it was counted and that brow point on the right side looks to meet our hillbilly metric. 

 

Ruger Guide gun?

 

Took the head to my guy today for a Euro mount.  He measured that brow tine and said it was too close to the magic 1" to call.  I'm perfectly happy calling it a 7.

 

GG is in .375 Ruger.  Second year (and deer) using it.  Really like it - the brake makes it feel about like a .308.  Very decent factory trigger so easy to shoot consistently. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Samuel Hoggson said:

 

Took the head to my guy today for a Euro mount.  He measured that brow tine and said it was too close to the magic 1" to call.  I'm perfectly happy calling it a 7.

 

GG is in .375 Ruger.  Second year (and deer) using it.  Really like it - the brake makes it feel about like a .308.  Very decent factory trigger so easy to shoot consistently. 

 

I would be perfectly happy calling that one a seven, too. 

 

What bullet are you using for deer in your .375? Unless you're really pushing light for caliber projectiles, my assumption would be that you're getting minimal meat damage with that round?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Hoggson
6 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

What bullet are you using for deer in your .375? Unless you're really pushing light for caliber projectiles, my assumption would be that you're getting minimal meat damage with that round?

 

Messing with different bullets at this point.  Last year it was a 300 gr old-style Silvertip MV 2575 fps.  Hit at 150 yds.  Two leaky holes, minimal meat damage. 

 

This year the 270 gr Speer MV 2700 fps.  100 yds out.  Slightly quartering on, placed just ahead of onside shoulder but smacked the offside shoulder.  Didn't exit.  Kinda what that fellow from NZ wrote about that bullet on his terminalballistics website.  Top of heart and vessels were gone, the exit wound inside chest was about 3".  Hobbled 20 yds, but would not have lacked for a blood trail from the mouth or entrance hole.  Hope the skinner finds it - cuz it wasn't under the offside skin. 

 

2019deer.thumb.JPG.6d5d5877d0a8cf7caf43be7c01c3015e.JPG

 

Been shooting it alot, now as comfortable with it as with a .22-250.  Literally everything I've tried goes 3 shots from cloverleaf to 3/4", and 5 shots in 7/8" to 1.25".  POI spread only 2" at 100 yds.  235s 3", 270s 2", 300s 1" high at 100.  Could grab literally anything - even mix them up - and kill something.  Would not do that with anything else I own.  Next year?  Found some Speer 285 GSs on closeout at Grafs.  Also some TTSX 250s.  They'll be here this week.  Guess I'll have time to mess with it this month.       

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Samuel Hoggson said:

 

Messing with different bullets at this point.  Last year it was a 300 gr old-style Silvertip MV 2575 fps.  Hit at 150 yds.  Two leaky holes, minimal meat damage. 

 

This year the 270 gr Speer MV 2700 fps.  100 yds out.  Slightly quartering on, placed just ahead of onside shoulder but smacked the offside shoulder.  Didn't exit.  Kinda what that fellow from NZ wrote about that bullet on his terminalballistics website.  Top of heart and vessels were gone, the exit wound inside chest was about 3".  Hobbled 20 yds, but would not have lacked for a blood trail from the mouth or entrance hole.  Hope the skinner finds it - cuz it wasn't under the offside skin. 

 

2019deer.thumb.JPG.6d5d5877d0a8cf7caf43be7c01c3015e.JPG

 

Been shooting it alot, now as comfortable with it as with a .22-250.  Literally everything I've tried goes 3 shots from cloverleaf to 3/4", and 5 shots in 7/8" to 1.25".  POI spread only 2" at 100 yds.  235s 3", 270s 2", 300s 1" high at 100.  Could grab literally anything - even mix them up - and kill something.  Would not do that with anything else I own.  Next year?  Found some Speer 285 GSs on closeout at Grafs.  Also some TTSX 250s.  They'll be here this week.  Guess I'll have time to mess with it this month.       

 

Thanks Sam. That pic really gives a good indication of the size of both body and rack on your buck. Very nice deer. 

 

It'll be interesting to see how a .375 Barnes behaves on a deer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...