Maine deer seasons have begun...

Nice Maine buck there SH. Bruiser.

I spun up to camp Sunday afternoon and hunted my new stand Saturday AM and PM and spun back home last night. 2.25 hr drive each way. 

Uneventful AM sit. But nice to be in the big woods away from people. Managed to stay put for almost 4 hrs watching a 100 yard stretch worth of wide briar filled old logging road. Same spot where I shot a Spike two years ago from ground, but now I was in a ladderstand. I had set a trail cam half way down the logging road when I set stand in 10/12. This boy is in area along with a 4 or 6 pt and a big bodied spike.

Cdy00007.JPG

Not sure if it is the big big boy I caught on cam last year. Not quite as huge or maybe an old deer that's going downhill.

PM sit supplied a little drama. I heard something moving at 4:30 just below me on the left. Saw some movement and got ready with gun up, safety off. I was concentrating so hard on where I saw movement and waiting for the deer to step into the open, that I never saw it step out further below. It was getting dusky too. Legal ended at around 4:45.  After a spell of nothing I had let my rifle down to my lap when I looked down the logging road and a Doe was in the middle staring right at me at 40 yards. How she saw movement from below me and me being another 16' up is beyond me. She had no idea what I was and proceeded to walk towards me. She went broadside at 30 yards and stared. I put rifle up and put the x hairs on her shoulder and thought "BANG".  She was safe, no doe permits issued in this zone. She walked into the woods. I waited, hoping a buck was to follow, but no. She caught a whiff of me and started blowing and never stopped as she ran away, and I saw her tail 100 yards down the logging road. I was serenaded by her sneezing and blowing as I walked out in the dark.

(Even mentioning a Doe encounter is likely to be met with a jaundiced eye by many, who see multitudes of does on every hunt, in other states mostly. But in Maine and particularly up north, the Maine deer herd is very sparse, so seeing any deer while hunting is a cool experience.)

A successful hunt again. In contrast to my mid Maine hunting and especially my urban bow hunting, I never saw another human the whole time I was at camp. I heard the crunch of tires on my camp road from my perch early but that was it. There may be far less deer up north, but I love the solitude of the bigger woods.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• MAArcher

• Samuel Hoggson

• Spiller

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rabbit out of the proverbial hat. At the buzzer. Last minute. Literally. Long season, wasn't really looking forward to bringing out the muzzleloader. Rifle season officially ended today at 4:26. Big d

Girls had me pinned most of the AM.  Woods were quiet, otherwise.  Think it's early.   ETA:  Uh, no.  It is not early.  For sure.    Saw this guy antler-wrestling a smaller one.  C

True. I am sitting monitoring detention right now so I might have some time. I had a great season. I have gotten much better at just liking to sit and watch. Of course there is often not much to watch

Posted Images

Sam..

That buck is a humdingah.

I went up after the storm, with 100,000 people in Maine without power, to find this...

enhance

I resurrected the old homestead and I hunted both openers, Sat afternoon and Monday morning.

For the life of me, I don't know how the same damn red squirrel that has been following me round for 30 years who likes scolding me, found me again this year and I was in a new spot I haven't hunted in so I don't know how the hell he found me again!

I saw one doe slinking in the woods on Monday morning in the dark just around legal shooting time...she was probably 15 feet from me..she was there and then she wasn't, silent...like a phantom..amazing how they just materialize and then vanish....could be my eyes but I don't think so......

I flushed a grouse walking out.....

Overall, I'd say my opener was a great hunt.....not as great as your's however....

A real staver, Bub...good on ya.....

Samuel Hoggson
1 hour ago, Spiller said:

For the life of me, I don't how the same damn red squirrel that has been following me round for 30 years who likes scolding me, found me again this year and I was in a new spot I haven't hunted in so I don't know how the hell he found me again!

Thanks!  A guy who's had permission for many years shot a small 8 pt last evening.  But failing light, it got into the thick so we had to sweat it out overnight.  Our property.  So this AM made yet another totally coincidental/random decision to run the labs in that vicinity.....without firearms in our possession.  Which netted another "well, what did you good doggies just find?" happy ending.  Real time saver, if not a deer saver.       

You have a stalker.  I can help.  Allow me to highly recommend CCI Quiet Segmenting HPs.  710 fps.  No louder than a cap gun, or like breaking a small branch.  Been killing the heck out of dairy farm rats with them using night vision.  Cows don't care.  Think a pistol would work as well, as barrel length is not likely adding anything much.   

I might have to reinvestigate the utilization of CCI Quiet Segmenting HP ammo for my Single 10.  It didn't cycle in my 10/22...so I benched it....

Samuel Hoggson
1 hour ago, Spiller said:

I might have to reinvestigate the utilization of CCI Quiet Segmenting HP ammo for my Single 10.  It didn't cycle in my 10/22...so I benched it....

The expensive answer is a Volquartson Firefly bolt.  Around $200.  Designed specifically for the CCI Quiet.  We just use a bolt gun on rats.  Have to try some through the Single Six and the Ruger Mk2. 

Somebody gave me a partial box of CCI Quiets. I was not impressed with their performance on red squirrels last winter.  

Went back to Winchester Target. 

Samuel Hoggson
3 hours ago, lee sykes said:

Somebody gave me a partial box of CCI Quiets. I was not impressed with their performance on red squirrels last winter.  

Went back to Winchester Target. 

Lee,  The solid version would probably not perform well except with CNS hits.  These dairy rats are variable in size, but many are near twice the length of a red squirrel.  We get DRTs - almost without regard to placement - to 10-15 yds.  Beyond that to 20-25 yds fairly quick kills, if alot of twitching.  Beyond 25 yds frequent run offs, many of which are found next AM.  The range limitation is mostly related to velocity variations - vertical dispersion on paper at 20-25 yds.  LAX ammo seems to have the best price on the segs.      

I don't think it will be an issue this winter.  Hardly any squirrels around now. 

I seem to only have to shoot the reds once every few years.  I leave the greys alone.

Never know, may have to eat them someday.  :)

I looked at that Volquartson 10/22 bolt, thanks for the info about it...

If you change it over from the stock bolt then you can't shoot regular supersonic ammo...a negative..

...but for 200 bucks and using subsonic ammo it is a helluva lot cheaper and way less hassle then buying, licensing and waiting for a suppressor....a plus

I may dedicate my 10/22 to subsonic ammo...but I have other rimfire rifles. 

I just really like my 10/22 because I already have put some upgrade money into it...Timney trigger, Boyd thumbhole stock, good glass, large capacity magazines....but I could just shoot the quiet ammo out of an old bolt Marlin or a Sears and Roebuck single shot I've had forever...but I do like to spray rimfire lead...it's fun...

I have to ponder it some more...I kinda wish I had'nt seen that bolt now because I could see having two 10/22's on for sub and one for super....

I have enough guns .....nnnnaaaawwwww...there is never enough guns...it's an anti fallacy....

Samuel Hoggson

I'm leaning away from the bolt.  Pretty sure I'd end up with another stainless 10/22 as dedicated Quiet rifle.  Cheaper to just get an American in stainless.  My friend has a Sightmark 4.5x/IR on his American.  It's very low end digital NV, but given the Quiet effective range ends up being absolutely perfect.  Ie., we see everything within 25 yds just fine.

Follow-up shots would be easier with a 10/22.  Which means I wouldn't be as careful with the first............. 

I spent Thursday afternoon, all day Friday, and Saturday morning at my Downeast:Northwoods camp with fellow UJer Mike Stenstrom. Our annual big woods deer hunting trip. It turned cold and we ended up with a few inches of snow, not quite enough to do any serious tracking in the thick woods. It got as low as 15-19° in the AM. The cook/wood stove was cranking in the little uninsulated camp.

IMG_1280.JPG

I was very anxious to sit in a new Treestand we had set a month or so back. I had some good trail camp photos of several bucks in that spot.

IMG_1282.JPG

Morning frigid view from the new ladder stand. Briar infested old logging road run. About 120 yards to end where there is an active scrape.  I shot a spike halfway down two years ago and I have cam photos of a couple huge 10 pts.

IMG_1281.JPG

The intrepid and well equipped, yet apparently dejected deer hunter Mr Michael Stenstrom, coming back after a foray looking for whitetails.

We knew things weren't looking good when a friend of Mikes texted him that 6 days since the firearm Opener only 31 deer had been tagged in my camp zone. That's compared to just under 1000 in the zone Mike lives in more southern Maine, and also just under 1000 in the zone where I live in mid Maine. Granted this isn't a highly populated areas, but the deer herd in Washington County has been struggling for a long time. They haven't issued and Doe Permits for as long as I can remember. We saw less sign; rubs, scrapes poop etc than previous years. Even grouse were scarce as hens teeth.

Not a single deer sighting via treestand, ground sits and still hunting. Just a few scattered tracks in the snow and a few scrapes. Not dissapointed though. This is always a fun trip. We did decide to leave early opting to forgo a Saturday afternoon sit and head home after a morning hunt to our more game rich areas further south. In the end we stretched our legs, enjoyed the relative solitude and ate well, including some "cut with a butter knife" rear quarter venison steaks from a Doe that Mike had shot with a bonus Doe tag down his way last week. 

Me too....Yes, cold....yes, no reward...yes, no deer seen...yes, no doe permits in my zone either....but the snow was pretty...

Michael Stenstrom

It was a great time despite the limited sign. Always great to get away to the basics of oil lamps, woodstove cooking and walking miles without seeing another human or boot track. 

So I'm up at my camp not seeing deer and look what's been traveling through the top sliver of my home property, right by a pop up blind that I had basically abandoned, and 60 yards above a ladder stand that I sit in occasionally.

I__00004.JPG

Handsome little 7 point

I__00002.JPG

Big bodied 10 pt.

Granted at night but it does appear the bucks are traveling and searching. The grass certainly may not be greener. I need to spend time right behind the house.

IMG_1286.JPG

This is is an example of what many Maine deer hunters look for and look at. And where a load of deer are shot. The good old Powerline. This is across the road and through the woods from my house. Id watch this 200-300 yard stretch more often but is a bit of a steeple chase to get to. You need to pay strict attention because without movement Its hard to see a deer unless it crosses an open snowy spot. None did this mid morning as I watched for an hour while scouting around doing inventory on deer sign in the crusty snow near a tree stand.

And...

I__00001.JPG

The big 10 lives. I was in the pop up blind, (that is in this photo but too dark to see) a couple afternoons ago, and I heard a shot close by on my neighbors land where this buck is coming from. They have a huge food plots etc. He survived and walked through the top of my land early this morning. They might have killed the smaller 7 pt that travels the same route. I'm gonna create a mock scrape close by tomorrow and try and get him to show up in daylight.