Maine deer seasons have begun...

IMG_1293.JPG

Rabbit out of the proverbial hat. At the buzzer. Last minute. Literally. Long season, wasn't really looking forward to bringing out the muzzleloader. Rifle season officially ended today at 4:26. Big doe, died at 4:20. Filled the Any Deer/Doe Permit I drew. We won't go hungry.

The girls are up for Thanksgiving and brought me some luck apparently. After the skinning, processing, grinding and packaging I'll be back in a bow stand trying for one of the 4 bucks (spike, fork horn, 5 pt and 10 pt) I have on trail camera at my Expanded bow spot. I have til the 14th.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• MAArcher

• Samuel Hoggson

• Spiller

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rabbit out of the proverbial hat. At the buzzer. Last minute. Literally. Long season, wasn't really looking forward to bringing out the muzzleloader. Rifle season officially ended today at 4:26. Big d

Girls had me pinned most of the AM.  Woods were quiet, otherwise.  Think it's early.   ETA:  Uh, no.  It is not early.  For sure.    Saw this guy antler-wrestling a smaller one.  C

True. I am sitting monitoring detention right now so I might have some time. I had a great season. I have gotten much better at just liking to sit and watch. Of course there is often not much to watch

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, BBlizzard18 said:

Do you weigh deer in Maine? Looks like a big doe. Congrats.  

Typically yes we do. But my garage ceiling is too low to get a weight with gambrel/hoist and my scale. If it wasn't so cold I would have hung it outside off my deck and weighed it. As is I have it wrapped in blankets so it doesn't completely freeze before I skin it today. 

By my/Maine calculations...

On the hoof, looked like 160 pounds

On the drag felt like 200 pounds

Dressed and hung is likely between 110-120 pounds.

3 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Typically yes we do. But my garage is too low to get a weight with gambrel and scale. If it wasn't so cold I would have hung it outside off my deck and weighed it. As is I have it wrapped in blankets so it doesn't completely freeze before I skin it today. 

By my/Maine calculations...

On the hoof, looked like 160 pounds

On the drag felt like 200 pounds

Dressed and hung is likely between 110-120 pounds.

We’re required to “weigh in” deer at a state reporting site in VT.  Most places have a list with the deer weights, sex, method of harvest, points, and name.  But, I know some states you just have to call in to report one.  

40 minutes ago, BBlizzard18 said:

We’re required to “weigh in” deer at a state reporting site in VT.  Most places have a list with the deer weights, sex, method of harvest, points, and name.  But, I know some states you just have to call in to report one.  

We have to register our deer at tagging stations. They now do it electronically at the tagging station rather than on paper like they did just a few years ago. Tagging stations are typically mom and pop corner stores. Some have scales, and those with certified scales attract those who shot big bucks. Some have their own biggest buck and Doe contest and have a list of weights etc on the wall. There are murmurings of being able to register completely online someday, but I don't think that will ever happen with deer. Too much potential to "forget" to register. I hope they do make it so we can tag wild turkeys online though.

IMG_1296.JPG

Never seen so much fat on a deer. Just packed. The deer around here lived on acorns this fall apparently.

The work doesnt stop at the end of a bullet that's for sure. I typically let deer hang for several days plus, but these freezing temps are too much. So managed to skin, quarter, and remove inner loin and backstrap this morning. Lost a good part of a front shoulder from the shot unfortunately. Picked off extra meat for burger with what was left. I haven't cut or trimmed anything out yet, and the loin and backstrap are whole and aging in fridge, and the quarters are still in garage in plastic bags so they don't brown. I'll keep an eye on them and any sign of freezing and they will get put in a cooler in basement. I'll start cutting, packaging and grinding and then freezing in the next few days. 

JoAnn requested a celebratory inner/tender loin dinner. Simple, simple. Medallions seasoned and quick seared. With garlic mashed potatoes. My mouth is watering.

Its an undertaking, and I'm not sure I even want to kill another deer with bow this year. Just kidding. 

Im not planning on coyote hunting this winter, so will find someone who wants the hide, head, rib cage etc for bait. 

Samuel Hoggson
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Never seen so much fat on a deer. Just packed. The deer around here lived on acorns this fall apparently.

Acorns, definitely.  Was also a big beech nut year.  Big mast years make for tough hunting here..........historically, anyway.  They started hitting our wild and orchard apples hard following the Thanksgiving storm.  And this year........something new for us........they're emptying the bird feeders (translates as red squirrel baiting stations) every single night.  Was going to bring feeders in at dark but my wife said to leave it and just fill keep filling them. 

Think she feels bad about me killing one.    

44 minutes ago, Samuel Hoggson said:

Acorns, definitely.  Was also a big beech nut year.  Big mast years make for tough hunting here..........historically, anyway.  They started hitting our wild and orchard apples hard following the Thanksgiving storm.  And this year........something new for us........they're emptying the bird feeders (translates as red squirrel baiting stations) every single night.  Was going to bring feeders in at dark but my wife said to leave it and just fill keep filling them. 

Think she feels bad about me killing one.    

They weren't into apples around here, mostly mast, and it shows. I had to cut through 4-5 inches of fat to get to the rear quarters. And the backstraps were encased in a thick layer as well. More than I'm use to dealing with.

JoAnn never feels bad about me killing them. She like to eatum.

Well, looks like I might be able to squeeze out the afternoon for a bowhunt at my Expanded/Management spot. My buddy the landowner has been into deer every time out lately. He exchanged grunts with a buck for 15 minutes last Saturday. 

I'm not sure if I have another deer in me...Anyone who doesn't process or never has processed their own deer has no idea how much work it involves, especially if done solo. From skinning to break down to processing. I finally have everything except the burger packaged and in the freezer; steaks, roasts, stew meat etc. Today I'm planning to grind the scraps for burger with some ground pork mixed in. Whew.

Yum. All done. On to the next one. Hopefully, maybe.

IMG_1297.JPG

IMG_1298.JPG

Congratulations on the deer. I see a lot of nachos and chili out of that ground meat!

Hunting conditions are tough here due to the snow this week. Hoping things improve.

Good luck with the rest of the season!