Maine deer seasons have begun...

On 12/2/2019 at 6:43 AM, Brad Eden said:

Typically yes we do. But my garage ceiling is too low to get a weight with gambrel/hoist and my scale.

I have low ceiling in my garage as well.  To weigh the deer you just have to hog tie the legs all together and hoist the deer up sideways to get the weight, then let them back down and hang them the right way after. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• MAArcher

• Samuel Hoggson

• Spiller

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rabbit out of the proverbial hat. At the buzzer. Last minute. Literally. Long season, wasn't really looking forward to bringing out the muzzleloader. Rifle season officially ended today at 4:26. Big d

Girls had me pinned most of the AM.  Woods were quiet, otherwise.  Think it's early.   ETA:  Uh, no.  It is not early.  For sure.    Saw this guy antler-wrestling a smaller one.  C

True. I am sitting monitoring detention right now so I might have some time. I had a great season. I have gotten much better at just liking to sit and watch. Of course there is often not much to watch

Posted Images

5 hours ago, MAArcher said:

I have low ceiling in my garage as well.  To weigh the deer you just have to hog tie the legs all together and hoist the deer up sideways to get the weight, then let them back down and hang them the right way after. 

Cool, but Too big a hassle. If something truly worth weighing I'd hook to tractor bucket or to my deck and then back to garage. All I know is it was big.

A few years ago the local general store, where most bring deer around here, erected a very nice game pole out of some large wooden beams.  They put a winch on it and purchased an expensive digital scale.  The design ended up being too short for any deer over 90lbs, and the deer needed to be “hog tied” to be weighed.  People didn’t like it, or was confused how to use it.  The older women that work at the store weren’t much help.  Now the nice game pole is only used for a spotlight that is shining down on the ground scale.  I preferred the winch due to me being by myself most of the time.  We are allowed to just estimate the weight, but I’m always curious.  

Nine days of Muzzleloader opens tomorrow in VT.  I have a buck tag, and an antlerless tag. Five inches of fresh snow.  

Michael Stenstrom

First day this year I have had time to look at something other than what I need to do here at school to keep things rolling. I knew most of it, but was nice to catch up.

2 hours ago, Michael Stenstrom said:

First day this year I have had time to look at something other than what I need to do here at school to keep things rolling. I knew most of it, but was nice to catch up.

Rumor has it you shot a nice 8pt buck....and there is a cool story behind it....

The Expanded Maine bow season ends this Saturday the 14th. I am going to try and make the 45 minute drive a couple times before the end. That may mean twice within the next three days since Saturday may be a washout. The warm temps and rain have melted the snowpack so being alert will be paramount. Deer can be in your lap up here in the Maine woods and you never see them. Colder temps may crunch things up so ears will be employed. I'd be psyched to end a hard season with a bow deer. Any bow deer. I have a Doe and a buck tag to fill. Two deer are perfect for me and JoAnn, after giving a load to friends, landowner etc. I may be gimpy and getting old but don't have much quit in me. After the 14th, a full out campaign to put some ruffed grouse in the bag shall commence. Cash will be happy to hear that.

Michael Stenstrom

True. I am sitting monitoring detention right now so I might have some time. I had a great season. I have gotten much better at just liking to sit and watch. Of course there is often not much to watch, but as hectic as school has become over the last several years a couple of hours of quiet and soft images of nature has become very welcome. I spent a lot of time bow hunting in Septembers early expanded archery and our regular October season. I had several deer in range, but the shots never came together, or they were a bit too small like this fork horn.

forky.thumb.JPG.e2f7df2033862f43d72c7d08be98a15e.JPG

I took a small doe that ran and stopped about a hundred yards away through the woods on opening day of rifle, to fill my bonus tag so pressure was off. Best offhand shot I ever made. As the season ran on I did not see much else. On Nov. 19th I decided to run to a friend's place a few miles from school when the day was done. I quickly threw a pair of camo coveralls over my school clothes, put three shells into the .308 and headed down the hill to a small patch of woods along a salt marsh that always holds sign. After finding a spot that let me see back to some railroad tracks and down to the marsh I stood by a tree and made a few grunts and bleats. I was excited because I could see 5 fresh rubs in a line working past where I was standing. If the buck showed up on that trail it would almost be self defense. Not five minutes later a doe appears on the marsh walking left to right and she is quickly followed by a second. I can see antler on the second deer and the doe stops. The buck slides his chin up onto the doe's rump and tries to mount. She squirts out and moves further to the right. A few more steps and she will disappear behind some fir trees so I bleat loudly. They both stop and I try to pick a lane down through the trees on the edge. I have crudely circled in red where they were standing about 70 yards away.

1694141354_IMG_32732.thumb.jpg.104f448ef0f372875a9c4f5de6a501e7.jpg

I find his shoulder but have to shoot offhand. Hoping for a repeat of the opening day doe I pull the trigger and nothing happens. The doe moves back tot the left and the buck turns. I find his shoulder again and pull the trigger. Nothing, but the doe runs up into the woods and heads left while the buck stands quartered too at about 40 yards looking for the deer that bleated so loudly. I center his shoulder and at the report he rocks back and hits the ground.

IMG_3270.thumb.jpg.9da6fee3b1d091ac9920a07756a1b6ee.jpg

I left school at 3:05 and he was on the ground by 3:40. Now came the work as my buddy's house is about 200 feet above this location in a 100 yard span of distance. I had to go up and get my cart, bring it down and haul the deer up 75 feet of the elevation to the railroad tracks. After that it was and easy roll to the road. That is deer hunting in Maine. lots of hours of quiet meditation punctuated by a few seconds of heart pounding excitement followed by a lot of work. Wouldn't trade it though. I think he was a 2.5 year old that dressed out at 150.

Beautiful buck, you’re right it can be boring and then in just a few minutes it turns into heart pounding excitement where you can hear your own pulse

Nice afternoon bow sit yesterday...conditions were perfect.... quiet but crunchy. Slight breeze going in the right direction. Ended up a 2.5 hr exercise in paying attention and meditation. Some might say...why the hell do you stay at this spot?....and I would say it's a small chunk of suburban land surrounded by cul de sacs, developments and roads in a bow hunting management zone. It's all I have to hunt in this "Expanded bow hunt"...and Ive shot upwards of 7 deer there in the past. May make the trek again this afternoon, not sure. Tomorrow AM or PM will be it since the end is on Saturday and its gonna be a rain out. It isn't over til it's over.

My early days of deer hunting were in Michigan's forests.  The conditions were very similar to what you guys describe for Maine.  Wait for the couple of seconds of pounding heart for the 40 yard shot.  Done and over.

I have been hunting out west now for about fifteen years.  It's a totally different hunt.  There is usually something happening all the time.  There aren't the trees in the way to impede the view.  A hunter can see the deer coming and going.  The deer are both in shooting range and out. My visual field is typically about one mile.  An added bonus is all the other wildlife you see.  One caveat is hunting the river bottoms is usually in the woods.

Eastern deer hunting is fun but I prefer the western hunt now.

Toast. Rain out this final day of both Muzzleloader and Expanded bow in Maine. I bow hunted Wednesday, Thursday, afternoon and yesterday morning. Wasn't meant to take a second deer this fall. That's OK. I can hunt ruffed grouse until the end of the month, weather permitting. Thanks for all who followed and contributed to this long running Topic. Until next fall!