REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Mike da Carpenter

Question for you Jeep guys....

sharptail grouse
58 minutes ago, Millriver said:

Don’t discount a Wrangler for your boys. A TJ with the straight 6 and a manual transmission will make them the coolest kid in school. They’re an awful lot of fun, highly impractical, and one of the best vehicles for young drivers because you can’t put a mess of kids in them and they’re no fun to drive at high speed or on the highway.

My son learned to drive on our ‘98 Wrangler, sunk a bunch of his own money and time tricking it out ( within reason), and we love driving it when he’s away at school. Every family needs one. PM me if you have questions, I’ll put you in touch with him. He loves to talk about Jeeps!

They roll pretty easy though and they are like a pig on ice.... Just sayin'...

Millriver
On 9/20/2019 at 4:25 PM, sharptail grouse said:

They roll pretty easy though and they are like a pig on ice.... Just sayin'...

Never been a problem.....

2B9466DF-1519-4BCD-BC22-3A5101503E94.jpeg

sharptail grouse
1 hour ago, Millriver said:

Never been a problem.....

2B9466DF-1519-4BCD-BC22-3A5101503E94.jpeg

I hope not. And I hope it stays that way. They just have a short wheel base and short wheel base vehicles are notoriously more prone to rolling, especially taller ones. And they do tend "swap ends" quicker than a long wheel base.

I had one in high school - they are fun, just not as safe as some other choices. To each there own,

marsingbob

You are lucky to have missed it.  I bought my first 4wd in `1963 and have owned at least one ever since then.  Rust is the single worst fault a vehicle can have.  It is like "my health is great except I have advanced pancreatic cancer".  There is no cure and it is always getting worse.  Snow plow use is extremely hard on a vehicle.  Better a 150,000 mile regular driver than 70,000  miles with a lot of snow plow use.  I do not know your market but I just sold a 98 Wranger with 160000 miles and six with stick for $6300.  It was pretty clean, straight and had absolutely no rust.  It was not an easy sell.

A Wrangler is not a great vehicle for an inexperienced driver.  As pointed out above, easy to roll, easy to spin, and weak crash protection. It is a convertible with    a canvas or thin fiberglass top and a weak roll bar system  It tempts young drivers to try stuff off road they see in movies or videos that is way beyond their ability.  

Edited by marsingbob
incomplete sent by mistake

henryrski

My niece flipped one when she hit some gravel on a curve. IMO they ain't the early CJs.