REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
mnpheas

Where would you live

mnpheas

If you could live anywhere in the US where would it be if your main objective was bird hunting. I know a lot of upland destinations are not conducive to a career so leave that part out of your thoughts. 

Thank you! 

dogrunner

Idaho. 

Lurch

Idaho or Alaska

C.J.L.
10 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

Idaho. 

After Snapt's photos of those three moose this past weekend I was thinking the same thing.

I'm going to check out Crystal Falls at the end of the month.  Good musky fishing and perch close by, bird hunting isn't bad, Montana and Kansas are less than a 14 hour drive, can get a bear tag every year.  Only thing missing for me are hogs and I can fly to Texas or GA for that.  

Brad Eden
37 minutes ago, mnpheas said:

If you could live anywhere in the US where would it be if your main objective was bird hunting.

I know a lot of upland destinations are not conducive to a career so leave that part out of your thoughts. 

I've been living there for over 30 years, because I'm a provincial sort who is content hunting ruffed grouse and Woodcock. Maine.

And Maine is not conducive to a career. I left the Boston advertising/marketing/design scene/career just as it was taking off when in my late 20's. I knew I was going to make 10-15k less a year out of the chute. Oops, was supposed to leave that part out.

doodlecrazy

Minnesota from April-November and winter in Louisiana 

steveziv

Michigan in the summer and SC in the winter would be nice, not specifically for bird hunting but weather and overall recreational opportunities.

Mike da Carpenter

Montana or Idaho.

Big Al

I'm already doing it.  Albeit for just part of the year.  I originally came out to Montana for the trout but found out the hunting was pretty fabulous also.

aje4

Montana....

fishvik

Idaho really sucks guys. Hot and dry in the summer, cold and windy in the winter. Rattlesnakes, cougars, grizzly bears. Sure you guys don't mean Iowa?:D

Speaks

I would not move that far, Northern MN would be my go to. As it is with career in the picture (even though I work from home) I live about an hour north of the twin cities so I have reasonable access to a major airport to travel for work but can still drive 2 hours either north or east and be in good grouse hunting. I live at my cabin in NW WI about 1/3 of the time during hunting season. 

jeff88
21 minutes ago, fishvik said:

Idaho really sucks guys. Hot and dry in the summer, cold and windy in the winter. Rattlesnakes, cougars, grizzly bears. Sure you guys don't mean Iowa?:D

Nope, I mean ID  😎!  I love it there, have tried unsuccessfully to get my much better half to move to Boise.  The town is very cool too.  

Dick Sellers

I could, and I did.

sharptail grouse

Don't even consider Montana. Too many wolves and bears :o