REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
mnpheas

Where would you live

OutlawTorn

I guess it really depends on what you want to hunt.

I live in Northern MN, work from home for a major corporation and have access to a decent airport that can get me to MSP, ORD or BNA to connect into anywhere.  Decent ruffed grouse/woodcock and spruce grouse hunting within 30 minutes, great in under two hours.  I can get to pretty good pheasant hunting in less than 6 hours (less if you consider SW MN worth your time), great areas that also have good populations of sharp tails in 10.

I'm primarily a pheasant hunter, but I don't want to live in pheasant country out of season.  I'll take all the other recreational opportunities (snowmobile, ATV, fishing, state parks, hiking) in MN the rest of the year and drive a few hours for a few pheasant hunting trips.

Talon1
1 hour ago, jeff88 said:

Nope, I mean ID  😎!  I love it there, have tried unsuccessfully to get my much better half to move to Boise.  The town is very cool too.  

Boise is quickly losing its charm unfortunately. It is really starting to feel like a big city these days. 

Not trying to sway anyone away from it, just stating the reality.

Sage Hen

I'm already there but my 8 years in Montana were just as good so either one would check the box for me.

jeff88
56 minutes ago, Talon1 said:

Boise is quickly losing its charm unfortunately. It is really starting to feel like a big city these days. 

Not trying to sway anyone away from it, just stating the reality.

Was just out there this summer, while it's not the same as the Boise I knew starting in '04, compared to Metro Houston, Boise has much more charm.  We were very happy with the restaurant scene downtown as well.  One of my co-workers in Boise just told me that traffic is terrible now but when I asked what that meant he said it used to take him 10 minutes to get to our offices, now it's almost 20!

Was also surprised by housing costs, they have really shot up.  Guess the Californians are driving price increases.  Since I want to downsize, we'd be better off in Boise than staying here.  It's not just the hunting, it's the hiking, mtn biking, paddling and skiing that is nice and close.

topdog1961

I’m living the dream in Ohio 😡

Skybuster
3 minutes ago, topdog1961 said:

I’m living the dream in Ohio 😡

I know just how you feel. I lived in Columbus from 1970-74. My grand-kids are there today. Birds were scarce and the topography in southern OH was a challenge. It was a sleepy town back then...no more. The birds are now non-existent. 

Bloodhound

Back to Western Colorado or Idaho or...

pa'tridge hunters

Right here in Maine, "The Way Life Should Be". The best piece of wisdom about living here came from Cindy's Uncle Pete. He said, "You won't make much money, but you will have fun". Wouldn't want to be any where else. Maybe somewhere warm in March.

john mcg

New Hampshire...Lakes, rivers, ocean and Vermont, Maine and Upstate is within a few hours.

Rumor says there is a Grouse migration under way...running from all those hunters in Maine.

ESetterSage

You gotta go further north. Probably new brunswick. I hear Canada is loaded and doesn't get any pressure plus all the out of staters are required to hire a guide to hunt which keeps the rift raft out. 

Birdcountry70

I'd stay here in MT I guess but the older I get the more I think about going south for the winter each year. Maybe after I retire that will work.

mnpheas

Im surprised I haven't heard any South Dakota responses. I suppose the variety is greater elsewhere. I would chose Idaho or Montana...need to start working on the best half. 

paul frey
3 hours ago, sharptail grouse said:

Don't even consider Montana. Too many wolves and bears :o

Ok then, Montana it is😀

Brad Eden
3 hours ago, sharptail grouse said:

Don't even consider Montana. Too many wolves and bears and me. :o

Fixed that for you.

C.J.L.

I give people a lot of credit who live in the eastern half of Montana year round. I watch the weather at my place in the eastern part of the state and winter nights routinely are -10 to -30 and wind never stops.  Not much snow compared to here but damn cold.  And summers can hit 100.  This summer had been nice though.  Ya gotta be tough or dumb to live there year round.