REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
mnpheas

Where would you live

Chukarman

I like Idaho, Montana and eeastern Oregon. But I don't like long, cold, dreary winters. I chose southern Arizona, lots of good quail hunting and mild winters.

Talon1
4 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Was just out there this summer, while it's not the same as the Boise I knew starting in '04, compared to Metro Houston, Boise has much more charm.  We were very happy with the restaurant scene downtown as well.  One of my co-workers in Boise just told me that traffic is terrible now but when I asked what that meant he said it used to take him 10 minutes to get to our offices, now it's almost 20!

Was also surprised by housing costs, they have really shot up.  Guess the Californians are driving price increases.  Since I want to downsize, we'd be better off in Boise than staying here.  It's not just the hunting, it's the hiking, mtn biking, paddling and skiing that is nice and close.

I totally get it. I'm guilty of making the move out here from Atlanta in 08. It was paradise, and compared to Atlanta now, it's still paradise. Honestly, I had gotten used to the nice traffic out here, then when it got worse, I was more sensitive to it.

It is starting to sprawl and spread out, so I do see some of our recreational opportunities being affected by that. It may take awhile, but it will happen. We've been pretty spoiled here for a long time.

Snipeaholic

About anywhere but Florida

DocE

I love it exactly where  I am.......... N.E.WA state.

I'd like it better if everything west of the Cascades would fall in the ocean.

max2

I like it where I am too ...... I just wished the neighbors might move 😁

salmontogue

Maine minus the southern part aka Northern Massachusetts.  Montana, the western part.  Scotland, the Highlands (home of my clan).   Atlantic Canada, my Aunt and Uncle were born there and I have dual citizenship, long story.

salmontogue
7 hours ago, sharptail grouse said:

Don't even consider Montana. Too many wolves and bears :o

Some of my relatives are there....tough group.

Jalinkly

Iowa.  

mccuha
1 hour ago, Snipeaholic said:

About anywhere but Florida

I was going to say the same thing about South Carolina.  I like the west.  Never hunted past nm. Texas is my choice but if and when I get to venture to the far west of Oregon Washington or Idaho.  I might change my mind.  The thing about Texas is when it’s right the birds are everywhere.  Also I’m in very reasonable driving striking distance to a lot of other good states

terrym

Alberta. Someone had to say it. Upland, waterfowl, almost every North American big game animal. 

Greg Hartman

I pretty much like living where we do in the PA mountains, but only because our "other home" has wheels and we can travel for months at a time to places like MT; or anywhere:

8-30-13 - Windsong in the late evening - 2

9-4-19 - Hanging out in Windy

9-10-19 - Joy and Bliss afield - 2

When I was younger, I would have wanted to lvi in MT.  Now, I think I'm too old and impatient to put up with the long bitterly cold winters.

caleb

If you don't mind winter, and you don't mind the possibility that the season could be effectively over by Thanksgiving, Detroit Lakes is a strong possibility.  Great grouse hunting locally, with passable pheasant hunting within an hour to the southwest, and passable sharptail and prairie chicken hunting an hour to the northwest.

If you're looking for variety and access to long seasons, I think you've got to look out west toward western Washington, southern Idaho, and down into Utah.  There are places out there where you could hunt lots of different birds within a day's drive from September through February.

But if all you're looking for is bird hunting, I don't think there's a way to match in any one spot what you could find moving around out west in an RV and following the seasons from north to south.

caleb
1 hour ago, max2 said:

I like it where I am too ...... I just wished the neighbors might move 😁

I think we might be on the same page.  When I was out there, I felt like that area would be fantastic with about 25% of the existing population.

Rockdoc
5 hours ago, Chukarman said:

I like Idaho, Montana and eeastern Oregon. But I don't like long, cold, dreary winters. I chose southern Arizona, lots of good quail hunting and mild winters.

Almost exactly what I would've written, except cold winters don't particularly bother me. However, dark dreary winters...YICK!

Steve