REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
mnpheas

Where would you live

sharptail grouse
20 minutes ago, Big Al said:

I watched the deer population explode in central Montana.  Then in 2011-2013 the population collapsed because of disease.  There is probably half the population now as there was before the collapse.  

Could this happen to humans also?  It has in the past.

Yep - thats the question - when is the next "Correction"? Given global air travel and the fact that its probably already incubating in Africa I think its going to happen at some point. Unless nuclear war happens first O.o

Maybe the Sahara Desert would be a good place to live. I hear they have great sand grouse hunting.

Rockdoc
33 minutes ago, Big Al said:

I watched the deer population explode in central Montana.  Then in 2011-2013 the population collapsed because of disease.  There is probably half the population now as there was before the collapse.  

It sure could, nature has ways of checking population growth, they're just not ways that we necessarily like!

Brad Eden
56 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Must have been after spring of 2011. I think that was the year Mike Stenstrom and I turkey hunted at your ranch in MT. Naturally there were Mule deer everywhere out in the open...I'll never forget stopping to throw calls down into the cottonwood river bottom and spooking out some deer. We lost count at 14 as Whitetails streamed out, many nicely racked bucks.

browndrake

My family had been in AZ and UT since 1850. They are burn in you're blood and offer good hunting.  Wife and I were seriously considering Idaho or western Montana until we moved to Utah to help her aging parents.

I think my preference list would be:

1. Banana belt of Montana or Idaho ( lots of access to many diff upland species)

2. Southeast AZ (wonderful quail hunting..3 varieties)

3. Utah.

Decent birds, if you know where to go and close enough to AZ, ID, MT to drive.

To make # 1 or 2 work, l would have to be able to get into an affordable "farm" with at least 20 acres and sufficient water to irritate it...preferably flood.

Big Al
4 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Must have been after spring of 2011. I think that was the year Mike Stenstrom and I turkey hunted at your ranch in MT. Naturally there were Mule deer everywhere out in the open...I'll never forget stopping to throw calls down into the cottonwood river bottom and spooking out some deer. We lost count at 14 as Whitetails streamed out, many nicely racked bucks.

There was a major outbreak of EHD the fall of 2011.

whiskyjack
On 9/17/2019 at 7:43 PM, terrym said:

Alberta. Someone had to say it. Upland, waterfowl, almost every North American big game animal. 

That's why I am staying put right here in SE Alberta!

Swampy 16

At Al’s house. 

RMH

I like where I'm at, Maine, but anywhere in the north woods grouse/woodcock range would be good for me. So I suppose north east Minnesota, northern Wisconsin, Michigan UP would be OK too. The length of winter is starting to wear on me a bit in recent years and my interest in woodcock has increased, so a good winter woodcock location would be of interest also. But then for something completely different hunting the open prairie with a pack of pointing dogs is something I have never done but sounds and looks really cool. Those pictures of four, five, six dogs all locked up scattered out on the grasslands captures my imagination and interest. I am a dog guy first and and hunting with a small "pack" seems very cool.