REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Flairball

Tacoma question

Flairball

Tacoma question. I’m about to drop some coin on a truck. I’d like to drop in a decked slider system, and put a cap on it. Anyone know if I’ll still be able to get a coupl medium (Springer sized) dog crates in it? Looks like I will be able to, but naturally my first thought was that someone in the UJ community will have this set up. Thanks. 

COPPERDOG

I have a 2019 Tacoma SR5 DCSB.

ARE V Series cap is on order and should be delivered to the dealer in about 3 weeks.

After it's installed I can get some measurements for you from floor to ceiling to give you idea of workable space.

Flairball
17 minutes ago, COPPERDOG said:

I have a 2019 Tacoma SR5 DCSB.

ARE V Series cap is on order and should be delivered to the dealer in about 3 weeks.

After it's installed I can get some measurements for you from floor to ceiling to give you idea of workable space.

That’s be great. Thanks. 

Dave Erickson

I have an ARE V on my '17 Tacoma and I measured a vertical 33.5" opening. You can of course get the high-rise type ARE if you need more of an opening.

john mcg
8 minutes ago, Dave Erickson said:

I have an ARE V on my '17 Tacoma and I measured a vertical 33.5" opening. You can of course get the high-rise type ARE if you need more of an opening.

How about the SxS measurement, Dave?

RJR

Be sure to place bed stiffners on your truck. My Tacoma bed spread some at the tail gate when I had my ARE installed. 

8-BC5-FD60-CD82-4350-99-EF-41-E7-CABB342

Dave Erickson

These are large Ruff Toughs. The opening at the bottom is 53" wide and it tapers to 45" at the top of the opening. The vertical distance from the top of the crate to the topper in the 2nd picture is 6".  The large Ruff Toughs (called "Ruff Lands" now) are 26.5" from the bottom to the top hump (exterior). Hopefully you can extrapolate some useful info from all this. Let me know if you need anything else!

IMG_1102.JPG

IMG_1103.JPG

john mcg

Perfect! Thank you very much, Dave.

CheckCord

Roughland mediums should be no problem with a decked system AND slider. The intermediate size will be too tall with the drawers and slider.  

As as you can see by the pic I don’t think you could have large roughland kennels and the decked drawers.  

Large kennels only work with a slider, and no drawers.  Unless you get the high roof cap like mentioned above, high roof models are absolutely useful, but ugly. 

Cold Iron
11 minutes ago, CheckCord said:

Roughland mediums should be no problem with a decked system AND slider. The intermediate size will be too tall with the drawers and slider.  

As as you can see by the pic I don’t think you could have large roughland kennels and the decked drawers.  

Large only works with a slider, and no drawers.  Unless you get the high roof cap like mentioned above, high roof models are absolutely useful, but ugly. 

Hey watch it, who you calling ugly!

30126591396_e033466ed3_b.jpg

ARE MX is a lot more useful to me than a flat top, looks don't bother me in fact like it. Occasionally sleep in the back and prefer a platform above me (half deck) so that I have the head room to sit up. And change clothes. Intermediate Ruff Tough on top of the platform.

22167127992_29241fb559_b.jpg

But is a second gen not a third.

23690103720_24e6a511c8_b.jpg

Dave Erickson

Cold Iron, your rig looks good, especially with that badass bumper thingy. 

RJR

Need to say the reason for bed stiffeners is the bed is composite and not connected to sides of truck. 

Brad Eden

IMG_0279.JPG

Crates for Springers in the bed of a capped Tacoma?...what for....

(No worries, old photo from what I had a small Toyota truck, before they named them Tacoma. Dogs ride in cab  now...cue the...never mind, just being the resident contrarian.)

Good choice on truck Larry.

Flairball

Thanks for the input, everyone. I don’t think the decked system will work. The drawers are 8.5” deep, so the deck is probably 10” above the   bed. I’ll investigate more, and look at other options. 

The crates I currently use are 24-25” tall. 

sidepass
1 hour ago, RJR said:

Need to say the reason for bed stiffeners is the bed is composite and not connected to sides of truck. 

The additional tie down points are nice as well. Added them to my 2012 Tundra for shits and giggles.