topdog1961

Cool old car story

topdog1961

I really like this story that I just learned of.  I thought about tagging it onto the end of the old car thread, but perhaps some who are not following that will enjoy it also.  

There are a few people that I’ve worked closely with for 35 years. I vaguely remember one of them saying, about 35 years ago when we were young, that he still had his first car and it was in his dad’s garage.  Fast forward to today.  I never gave it a thought again until I overheard him talking about it.  The car has sat in his dad’s heated garage, never started or moved, for almost 40 years.  He always promised the car to his only child, a son who is a senior in HS now.  The boy has recently been bugging him about the car, until he finally had it transported the 4 hours or so to their home.  It seems the young man is bitten by the car bug.  He insisted on an old Jeep for his first vehicle, and like all old Jeeps, it has been a great training tool for teaching him how to fix vehicles. This young man is self-taught, because his dad is no help, he can’t change his own oil.  I remember once changing his headlight bulb in the parking lot, because he was going to take his car to a mechanic.

When the car arrived and was pushed into their garage, the young man started restoring it on his own, with the help of YouTube, and some mechanically inclined friends.  He changed all the fluids, hoses and belts, got it started, rebuilt the brakes, suspension, carburetor, buffed the paint, etc, etc..  Now the young man is the proud owner and driver of one of the coolest cars in town.  He’s pictured below, headed to pick up his date for a dance. 

Having two adopted children, I’ve posted before wondering whether one’s characteristics are determined by “nature or nurture”.  The above story is strong evidence for nature, because as I said, this young man was never taught any interest in cars or wrenching on them, and he is a car nut.  Either he got the car gene from his mom’s side, or the UPS delivery man is good with a wrench.  

3AD27948-AAF5-4B73-9986-F69ADCEF56E8.jpeg

97437A05-5924-420D-9BEC-7A88DF86328B.jpeg

RJR

Now that is a nice ride. 

Clueless1

Funny I remember those license plates!

WI Outdoor Nut

Very cool story and thanks for sharing. 

NC Quailhunter

Very cool. I really like those year Camaros.

Rockdoc
2 hours ago, topdog1961 said:

Having two adopted children, I’ve posted before wondering whether one’s characteristics are determined by “nature or nurture”.  The above story is strong evidence for nature, because as I said, this young man was never taught any interest in cars or wrenching on them, and he is a car nut.  Either he got the car gene from his mom’s side, or the UPS delivery man is good with a wrench.  

I was born with a very high mechanical aptitude, I took an mechanical aptitude test once and scored 98%. I do probably 95% of all my own car repairs and have never paid someone to change my oil. On the other hand, my older brother has to call AAA if he gets a flat tire.

BTW I was considered the dumb son by my dad because I liked working with my hands. He always said you either work with your hands or your brains. It never dawned on him that some of us could work with both. I taught my son car repairs and I'm happy to say he's pretty good at it. I tried to teach my daughter but she refused to learn, though she can change a flat tire if need be, but she'd prefer to call AAA.

Steve

oFAvVIa.jpg

Me in 2015 right after I'd removed the bad engine from my RV.

dogrunner

Nice looking car. 

chilly460

Looks like a 460 hanging on the cherry picker Rockdoc?

Rockdoc
6 hours ago, chilly460 said:

Looks like a 460 hanging on the cherry picker Rockdoc?

Not only is it a 460 I soon discovered it was the wrong vintage 460 for my 1994 RV. The previous owner (cheap SOB!) had replaced the original FI 460 with a well-used early model carbureted 460 and he then adapted the FI intake manifold to fit carbureted heads from the original engine. When I replaced the early model engine, you see hanging, it was with a rebuilt FI 460 long block assembly, so now it finally has the correct vintage FI engine. The longer I own my RV the more I've grown to despise the previous owner and his various "repairs". Unfortunately, he passed away in 2010 so I can't tell him to his face.

Steve

chilly460

Never messed with the EFI 460s but seem to recall ports were much smaller in the heads, enough to be fighting vacuum leaks and such if trying to run efi intakes.  I mess with a lot of old cars, some of the backyard repairs I’ve seen boggle the mind 

Brad Eden

I wish I could crouch down and bend my knees like that. Oh, cool car.

walt lister
3 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Wait 20 years, it gets worse!:( 

Brad Eden
12 hours ago, walt lister said:

Wait 20 years, it gets worse!:( 

You are my inspiration Walt. 😉

Rockdoc
16 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Brad, you know you're getting older when you bend down to pick something up, but then while you're still bent over you look for other things to pick up while you're there.

Steve

Millriver

That’s a very cool car, thanks for sharing