REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
MAArcher

How many miles do you expect out of a vehicle?

aje4

I usually keep my cars to between 130K-150K miles and then buy another used vehicle with low miles (20K-40K miles) and repeat.  It has worked for me perfectly for years and I have not (and will not) have a car payment.

CountryLife

I've had several daily driver Hondas with north of 200K miles. Unfortunately I just had to part with my Accord that ran fine with 325K miles, but could not pass the CA smog test. Wasn't worth spending money on a new catalytic converter and O2 sensors. Too bad, it was a great car.

River19

Selling my 2001 Tundra to someone this weekend for a decent price at 252K and running like a top.  Had a local garage inspect it before he made the offer and the only thing they need to replace is the rear bumper to pass inspection in VT.......passed in MA for years like it is.  Billy (Atticus) got ~330K or so out of the same rig.

My GX has 140K and I expect 300K from it.

Brad Eden

I typically tried to trade my trucks in at between 100-120k. That's mainly to get some sort of trade in value, even though they went to the wholesale lot Im sure. But due to life and financial considerations as in "retired from my career as a commercial artist/graphic designer/art director" and having just a few irons in the fire to keep them Michigan Wolves at bay...I'm stretching my '06 Tundra as far as I can. It's a few thousand over 200k. Outside of the usual rust issues, I just keep putting any needed parts to it when needed. My local mechanic loves me. It's future may be a plow truck if we stay here many more winters, and I plan to get a slightly used Tacoma when that time comes.

Millriver
11 hours ago, gunsrus said:

The "grousemobile" '99 Tahoe 2 door I bought two years ago had 125,00 . Currently 165,000. No leaks , still has great compression . I expect 300,000 out of it . 

Put me at the top of the list Al if you decide to sell it. I’d love to have a 2 door Tahoe! But I’m thrilled with my 2015 Silverado Crew Cab. It’s got 75,000 miles, planning on getting 200,000 ir more out of it.

Brad Eden

I use to feel smug driving around in an older somewhat beater truck. But with so many shiny new trucks tooling around by seemingly everyone, I feel like a homeless person on wheels.

River19
20 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

I typically tried to trade my trucks in at between 100-120k. That's mainly to get some sort of trade in value, even though they went to the wholesale lot Im sure. But due to life and financial considerations as in "retired from my career as a commercial artist/graphic designer/art director" and having just a few irons in the fire to keep them Michigan Wolves at bay...I'm stretching my '06 Tundra as far as I can. It's a few thousand over 200k. Outside of the usual rust issues, I just keep putting any needed parts to it when needed. My local mechanic loves me. It's future may be a plow truck if we stay here many more winters, and I plan to get a slightly used Tacoma when that time comes.

I've said it a hundred times here and I'll say it again, I really don't get the Tacoma thing.  As you know, I'm a Toyota guy.....had a Taco, had the 1 Gen Tundra obviously, have other Toyota vehicles currently.  Several friends have various generations of the Taco and for the $ I just don't get that choice over the Tundra in many cases.  If they are worried about "in town" parking etc.  I can partly understand that, but that is it...........I would look hard at a used Tundra again next time Brad.

Brad Eden
16 minutes ago, River19 said:

I've said it a hundred times here and I'll say it again, I really don't get the Tacoma thing.  As you know, I'm a Toyota guy.....had a Taco, had the 1 Gen Tundra obviously, have other Toyota vehicles currently.  Several friends have various generations of the Taco and for the $ I just don't get that choice over the Tundra in many cases.  If they are worried about "in town" parking etc.  I can partly understand that, but that is it...........I would look hard at a used Tundra again next time Brad.

I understand. I had an original small Toyota truck before they named them Tacoma. It had a V-6 and was a real goat, but pales in comparison to the two Gen 1 Tundras I have owned. I have stopped at a local dealership several times in the last few years and test drove slightly used lease turn in Tacoma's. I just couldn't fall in love since my Tundra was such a more solid and comfortable truck so kept passing. My issue now is I simply don't like nor need the huge size Tundras became after 2006. Maybe I need to try them, but the Tacoma is just the right size for me right now and are typically less money compared to low meileage Tundras. But if I was in the market and a low mileage newish 4 door Tacoma was sitting next to a comparable year and mileage and equipped Tundra (both preferably with the TRD off road package) and were generally the same price, I'd likely buy the Tundra. But then again I heard that wolves fly.

max2

I guess I would expect 250 minimum and if the bodies would last I would add another 100 thousand miles or so. I have never changed a truck do to mechanical problems and firmly believe running them and maintenance keeps them on the road.

mister grouse

I have a 2003 suburban denali with 230,000 and a 2004 Yukon with 225, 000 so I guess Im qualified to speak on this subject.  I also have a 1995 Suburban dog/trout vehicle with 200,000 I keep out west .  Take reasonable care of them and they last "forever."  I have  the '95 for sale only due to the fact it so expensive to fly dogs west that it makes no sense to keep it .    

Edited by mister grouse

COPPERDOG
13 hours ago, Dave Erickson said:

My SR5 has the intermittent wipers. Shame on Toyota for leaving that feature off the base model!

I agree Dave Erickson, my 2019 Tacoma SR5 came with all the options I wanted and not a bunch of stuff I would never use.

Mike da Carpenter

Guy I work with bought a used 2010 State Police Tahoe 4x4 that had just over 100,000 for $10,000 at auction,.  He just turned 200,000 last month and all he has done is tires,  takes and 2 wheel bearings (not at the same time...he says he is cheaper than me, because if something comes in pairs, I replace both when one goes bad).  Said he is hoping to get close to 300,000.  I never would have thought that the day he bought it, but he is slowly changing my mind.

bennelli-banger
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

I use to feel smug driving around in an older somewhat beater truck. But with so many shiny new trucks tooling around by seemingly everyone, I feel like a homeless person on wheels.

you are practicing one of the tenets espoused in the book "the millionaire next door"... be proud of that.  I look at life this way, and have tried to teach my kids this:  our society is a constant war between Madison Ave and the unwitting consumer...look around, it's all advertising, brainwashing, attempts to influence us...either they win, or you win...we have been brainwashed that we need, deserve, or will benefit from a new vehicle every few years...status, safety, comfort, reliability, whatever...drive your old truck as long as you can, smartest thing you can do, as long as you aren't fretting when you have to go long distances...if you sell it or trade it, someone else will love it and maintain it and keep driving it...why not it be you?  

sharptail grouse
1 hour ago, River19 said:

Poor folks got poor ways. Where I live a used Tacoma is cheaper to buy and drive and they run forever. If you need a big truck go for it. If you don't then why spend the $$$?

Mike da Carpenter
1 hour ago, Millriver said:

Put me at the top of the list Al if you decide to sell it. I’d love to have a 2 door Tahoe! But I’m thrilled with my 2015 Silverado Crew Cab. It’s got 75,000 miles, planning on getting 200,000 ir more out of it.

Im the same way with my 2014 CC.  Sitting at 63,000 now and plan to drive it as long as it’s affordable to keep on the road.  It’ll be paid off in November and I can start investing the payment $ because I’m gonna hate to see the price of vehicles in 15-18 more years and in my mind the $ is already spent so might as well keep living that way.

Disabling the AFM (V4 mode) and installing a Catch Can off of the PCV is a must in my opinion to get longevity from the engines now.