REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
MAArcher

How many miles do you expect out of a vehicle?

Mike da Carpenter
4 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I use to feel smug driving around in an older somewhat beater truck. But with so many shiny new trucks tooling around by seemingly everyone, I feel like a homeless person on wheels.

Let them spend the money on all the new trucks/SUV’s and when the economy slows down in 5-10 years, there will be some awesome deals for those who saved some $ and know a deal when they see it.

I also have a 2000 Z-71 1500 with 175,000 miles that our boys drive and learn to wrench on.  The vehicle has been maintained impeccably and I hope that when they go off to college, I get the truck back as it is so much more enjoyable/comfortable to drive than my 2014.

UplandHntr

So we have new truck now too? Got it

john mcg

A couple years ago I sold a nearly new F150 that I owned outright. Paid some bills and paid cash for a Buick Enclave AWD with 157K miles. Its got just over 170K miles now and drives like a new vehicle.

Its one of those loaded jobs with a TV and stuff and I paid 2K under its value.

Its great not having a payment and I have only had to replace the water pump.

I would keep it, but before going back to NH I want a more off-road friendly vehicle, that hasn't seen salt like back home.

Not in a hurry and its fun looking. The market is flooded with good used vehicles. Some decidedly less expensive than others.

Those crazy Toyotas are ridiculously proud of themselves....I'm not gonna pay a lot for that muffler.

Mike da Carpenter
2 hours ago, UplandHntr said:

So we have new truck now too? Got it

???

MAArcher
3 hours ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Guy I work with bought a used 2010 State Police Tahoe 4x4 that had just over 100,000 for $10,000 at auction,.  He just turned 200,000 last month and all he has done is tires,  takes and 2 wheel bearings (not at the same time...he says he is cheaper than me, because if something comes in pairs, I replace both when one goes bad).  Said he is hoping to get close to 300,000.  I never would have thought that the day he bought it, but he is slowly changing my mind.

That's the sort of deal I'd like to find.  The first 2004 Xterra I got for my wife I got with 100k on it and it was only a couple years old and i paid about $10k for it, we got rid of it at 250k and never did anything to it.  It was owned by a salesmen who drove a lot.  

chilly460

I have a really rough ‘96 1500 Silverado that has 360k on it, I used it this week to make a wood delivery, it’s tired but I daily drive it in the winter.  My expectation on vehicles now is 250k, with things like starters, alternators, water pumps crapping out at 150k and transmission a bonus anything over 175k.  

Speaks

My tundra is closing in on 200k and should easily give me another hundred. 

River19
22 hours ago, sharptail grouse said:

Poor folks got poor ways. Where I live a used Tacoma is cheaper to buy and drive and they run forever. If you need a big truck go for it. If you don't then why spend the $$$?

Here the Tacoma is actually the same or more spendy used in many cases......it is odd.

sharptail grouse
3 hours ago, River19 said:

Here the Tacoma is actually the same or more spendy used in many cases......it is odd.

We may be talking about trucks from a different vintage. The Tacomas I'm referencing were manufactured before Tundras came out. I can believe what you are saying about the new Tacomas.

Brad Eden

IMG_1247.JPG

FWIW and what I've mentioned multiple times...for reference. Toyota discontinued the First Gen Tundra (smaller half tonnish size)  in 2006. In 2007 they upped the Tundra size to the current larger size. They ALSO up sized the Tacoma the same year. The results are that when watching a First Gen Tundra tooling down the highway next to a 2007 plus Tacoma you need to take a second look to tell which is which. But the difference is readily apparent when in the drivers seat. Tacoma's are tough buggers and I'll likely get one next, but aren't nearly the solid, smooth riding and equipped truck the First Gen Tundra was and is. IMO

Spin

My Subaru "Legend" wagon had over 287, 000 mi. on it when I traded it in and engine and trans were still running like a top.

I think 200K is a very reasonable expectation these days.

River19
On 9/22/2019 at 10:10 AM, sharptail grouse said:

We may be talking about trucks from a different vintage. The Tacomas I'm referencing were manufactured before Tundras came out. I can believe what you are saying about the new Tacomas.

Got it.  I had the first gen back in the day, a 1998.  Then moved to a 2001 Tundra.  I was referring to the latest generation.....friggin' things are spendy and after spending time in them and driving them, they work fine(ish), I just don't understand infatuation with them.

WMassGriff

Biggest reason I have gotten rid of vehicles hasn't been high mileage but the results of many winters driving on over treated roads in the NorthEast! Frame rot, sheet metal rot, etc etc!

Cheesy

Dad bought a 1988 Toyota new. 22r engine. He gave it to me in high school with 160,000 miles on it. He had rebuilt the carb and set the valve clearances. I gave it back to him after college with 260,000 miles on it. I replaced the starter twice in that time and the clutch master cylinder. He sold it to a neighbor. Last we heard it had 350,000 miles before they finally scrapped it.

i bought a 2003 GMC z71 with 5.3 new. Traded it at 230,000 miles. Regret getting rid of it actually. Two catalytic converters and a water pump were only major issues. A couple nickel and dime convenience items. Original transmission. 

Contractor buddy has a 99 Chevy Z71. 360,000 miles of carrying a big rack and job box all over the region. Original motor and transmission. He did put 3 different rear ends in it. 

I could go on and on about 99-06 GMs with 5.3’s and 200k+ miles. Some had transmission issues reportedly, including brother in laws 99. But that motor is bulletproof. 

Brother in law and I both if 2006 Fords with the dreaded 6.0 Diesel. His is stock. Mine is bulletproofed. Both have 170,000 miles. I see no reason mine won’t go another 100,000. His likely too. If it didn’t fail by 100k, it should be golden. 

Just bought a 2020 Tundra. I fully expect 250,000 miles out of it. 

2001 Civic is my daily driver. It has 270,000 miles on it. I drove it for 40,000 miles with a blown head gasket hoping it would die. It didn’t. Finally got tired of adding coolant so I could have heat in the morning so I replaced the head gasket, timing belt, and water pump at 200k. That was 70,000 miles ago. I leave the key in the ignition when parked at our airport that has free, no fenced parking. Nobody will steal it. Costs like $7/month for liability insurance. Love/hate relationship. 

Chukarman

My F350 7.3L diesel has 245,000 miles and is still going strong. My Toyota LC has about 210,00 and is still going strong. My 1947 Willys Jeep has about 80K miles and was just completely rebuilt. Durability depends on what you buy and how well you care for it.