REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
MAArcher

How many miles do you expect out of a vehicle?

thirdbite

I value reliability more than cost in most cases.  Drive few miles and find that both time and mileage take a toll.  So, ideally find a one or two year old vehicle with more than average miles that is reflected in the price.  Then drive for 5 -7 years.  By that time, the mileage is about normal for the age.  Then sell or trade, as it still has decent value, and start the process over.  I don't think I've owned anything with more than 100,000 miles and my cost probably is generally $1,500 - $2,000 per year as there have been no major repairs over the holding period and I've never really had to worry about reliability.

garyRI

200K should be easy. I bought a new cheap 1996 Chevy Cavelier for my oldest to take to college. All three kids drove it and it got to 205 miles. A 2004 Forester bought used got to just over 200K before it wouldn't pass inspection. I had to have head gasket, timing belt and water pump replaced at about 140K but I don't mind spending money on maintenance. I recently bought a 2010 Outback with 120K miles and a 2012 F150 with 112k. Highest mileage vehicles I have ever purchased so I guess I will find out how long they last.

bkelble

I currently have 240k on my Forester.  Had 240k on my old pickup when I sold it. 100k is nothing on a good engine, but transmissions appear to be the issue.  The old 4 and 5 speed auto's are being replaced by cvt, or more complex auto's.  If I was looking to get 200 plus out of a modern car, I would be looking at a manual tranny.  IN fact, I'm looking at an 07 Subaru right now with a stick. 

SelbyLowndes

I figure 200,000 miles or whenever the repair expenses on the minor things that start falling off gets to be more than I can put up with...SelbyLowndes

sharptail grouse

Fully expect at least 300k out of my Tacoma. 

ThornApple

221,000 and counting on my 2007 Toyota Sequoia.  New frame courtesy of Toyota.   Double duty as a "work" vehicle for my environmental testing business, family vacationer and as the grouse/trout mobile.    Its been from Maine to Florida and from Jersey to Boise.  I expect to easily get 300K before i sell it to some lucky teen in my town.  

River19
On 9/27/2019 at 1:38 PM, Chukarman said:

My F350 7.3L diesel has 245,000 miles and is still going strong. My Toyota LC has about 210,00 and is still going strong. My 1947 Willys Jeep has about 80K miles and was just completely rebuilt. Durability depends on what you buy and how well you care for it.

I loved my 7.3L.  I just wish the rest of the rig held up like the drivetrain.  I had that thing with the perfect set of mods for what I needed but the rust was horrible.  Same year as my Tundra, the Ford frame looked worse than the Toyota one they replaced under recall.  But the 7.3L I miss....

Chukarman
2 hours ago, River19 said:

I loved my 7.3L.  I just wish the rest of the rig held up like the drivetrain.  I had that thing with the perfect set of mods for what I needed but the rust was horrible.  Same year as my Tundra, the Ford frame looked worse than the Toyota one they replaced under recall.  But the 7.3L I miss....

I live in a fairly rust free environment, so no troubles there.