REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
MAArcher

What to do with a 2000 Excursion with 280k miles and a blown transmission?

MAArcher

I have a hard time making decisions about anything and right now I have a 2000 Ford Excursion with the 7.3 diesel and 280k on the odometer.  100k from me.  The transmission just crapped out.  Its $3,800 to have a new reman Jasper with new cooler and a three year warranty put in, or $2,800 to have a rebuilt one from a local guy put in, no cooler and a 1 year warranty.   The trucks in OK shape.  Some rust starting in the rear at the rocker/wheel well.  I love driving the truck though it sounds like a school bus.  Before the tranny failed I figure it was worth $8k.  I get the feeling injector work will be needed at some point.  I can't decide if I should cut my losses and try and sell it to someone who will tow it away as is, or put a transmission in.  If I put the transmission in I'll probably keep it and just keep throwing good money after bad and breaking my knuckles putting a few hundred dollars of break parts in every summer.  It will need $1k in tires before long.  

I hate the idea of shopping for another used vehicle.  Its just miserable and time consuming to find a fair deal and I don't even know for sure what I want.  Maybe a 2007 vintage ford crew or another Excursion, either with a bulletproofed 6.0.  I have no idea why I drive a diesel, I don't tow much.  I just like driving the biggest vehicle I can and still be able to fit into the parking garage at Logan airport.  Really like having a vehicle that can comfortable fit the wife, two kids, their friends and a dog.  

Brand new vehicles not an option.  To expensive and I want something that I can drive down a two track without feeling faint every time I hear an alder branch squeaking down the side.  

Thoughts?

airmedic1

You are in a tough spot, I don't envy you at all.  I tend to cut my losses in a situation like that, $3800 for tranny, $1000 for tires, what's next, rear end, transfer case, engine?  I would find something different, but that is just me.  Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

homelessadam

Put a transmission in it. 

There’s no comparable vehicle on the market now. 

Alaskan Swamp Collie

I drive them until the wheels fall off. Just put $1300 in a vehicle that is probably worth $500(if the buyer has too much to drink). For day to day use going to work it is okay, but for something serious like a bird hunt I wouldn't trust it. After my 20's I always buy used, sometimes I have to look a bit, but there are great used deals out there. Shop around, once found a 4 year old pickup with 20,000 miles on it, still going 15 years later. That's still my best vehicle. Cut your loses, don't throw good money after bad.

Swampy 16

You’ve gotta look at what it’ll cost if you have a payment. If you put 5k in it that’s only ten payments towards a nice truck. Air medic has a very valid point also. Me personally, I have a fear of breaking down so I’d look towards buying something but it’s nice to not have a payment also. I’d go the remanufactured route over the “Junksper” trans. I’ve seen plenty of their motors fail prematurely. If you know it and trust the truck for the most part go for it. Buy a cheap set of tires. You’d be shocked what you can find on Craigslist BTW.

WI Outdoor Nut

Of course your decision, but I think I would be sending it down the road.  I don't like the idea of having a question mark in my head on reliability on my hunts.  Plenty of good, lower cost, vehicles out there to beat up on the 2 tracks. 

406dn

Generally speaking, a rig with nearly 300k miles doesn't owe anyone anything. Fix it if you want, but putting a new tranny or engine into a rig that's coming 20 years old isn't something I'd have much interest in doing.

CheckCord

Excursions are badass vehicles.  Will be a tough loss but I’d move on to something else.  Plenty of previous generation suburbans and GMC equivalents out there with a ton of life left... but none are diesel.

Maybe an f250 with a cap is calling for you?  

topdog1961

Right now, it’s a pretty simple math problem, given a few numbers. What’s it worth as it sits, and what’s its worth after you spend X amount of $ on it. If the net value is greater as it sits, get rid of it now. If the net value is greater after repair, repair it. If the $8k value estimate is valid, that suggest repair it. Whether to keep it is a different decision than whether to repair it, but they are interrelated because of the two tranny cost options. If the equation says fix it, but you think you’ll sell it, go with the cheaper repair, as you won’t get that extra $1000 back at resale. 

Rockdoc

If you got 280K out of the old transmission you might want to check on eBay to see what a low-mileage (under 100K) used transmission would cost. For example, the transaxle just went out a month ago in my 2005 Caravan at 265K. A used transaxle with 100k on it purchased through eBay would've cost me about $425 delivered. I know for a fact from past experience that replacing the transaxle is no easy job and I'd need a place with a concrete floor to work on it (something I don't have access to in the RV park I currently live in). Also a gasoline engine with that kind of mileage might be pushing my luck, so I've replaced the Caravan. However, if it had been a rear wheel or four wheel drive 2000 Excursion with a diesel engine and a transmission (and not a transaxle!) I might've pursed replacing the tranny. It's a lot easier replacing the transmission in a rear wheel drive vehicle than the transaxle in a front wheel drive.

Steve

sneem

In my experience once they start going bad, they don't get better. I had a little Chevy S-10 I really liked. I ended up putting in a new clutch, master cylinder, head gasket and finally figured out it was just a money pit. 

In my experience with a vehicle that old and looking at a new tranny, I would think you are on the way down money pit road. I would cut my losses. 

bigjohnsd
NADA VALUES of a "Clean" 2000 FORD EXCURSION
(Yours is not "Clean" - rust. needing tires, etc) even with a rebuilt transmission:
Clean Trade-In    $5,675            
Clean Retail         $8,275   

Rough Trade - $3,625 - $4,000 is more like what you could expect to trade or sell it for once the transmission is replaced.  
All that said, if you put in the transmission and replace the tires you are back on the two-track, and sounds to me like that would make you happy, for $4K!
It will be damn hard to trade this beast and add $4k to it and come up with anything newer, cleaner, more capable, and more reliable.  
I vote for the Local Tranny rebuild and Tires and a Happy Man!

WPG Gizmo

Put the Jasper in it and be done with it if you want to keep it but remember that the vehicle is 19 years old already.  I saw a 2005 excursion the other day that was only $5000 didnt look at the particulars so I dont know a lot about it.

MAArcher
15 hours ago, bigjohnsd said:
NADA VALUES of a "Clean" 2000 FORD EXCURSION
(Yours is not "Clean" - rust. needing tires, etc) even with a rebuilt transmission:
Clean Trade-In    $5,675            
Clean Retail         $8,275   

Rough Trade - $3,625 - $4,000 is more like what you could expect to trade or sell it for once the transmission is replaced.  
All that said, if you put in the transmission and replace the tires you are back on the two-track, and sounds to me like that would make you happy, for $4K!
It will be damn hard to trade this beast and add $4k to it and come up with anything newer, cleaner, more capable, and more reliable.  
I vote for the Local Tranny rebuild and Tires and a Happy Man!

Wow thats loud.  But my failing eyesight appreciates the oversized text.

It's actually in above average condition, even with a few rust spots.  With the new transmission KBB has it at $8-$11k private sale and NADA has it at $6 trade in $9k retail.  So my estimation of $8 is probably pretty close given what I've seen on FB marketplace and Craigslist.  

If you can find a diesel Excursion with a brand new tranny in decent shape for $4k, I'd suggest you run to buy it, easy money for a flip, at least hear in the Northeast.

I decided i didn't want to deal with a truck that can't move so I just told my mechanic to go ahead and put the Jasper in it.  Should have it back early next week if not Friday.