Wyoming Archery Bull

22 hours ago, RookieEP said:

Outstanding!  I want more pics and story

On my way home with him (Shadow) and will update then...Thanks guys!

8E87F330-171A-4FAA-8F92-495886F336A2.jpeg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GeorgeE

• max2

• Clueless1

• RookieEP

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a great hunt, got it done in Wyoming on the 4th day of my DIY hunt in a great unit...Not the biggest I chased, but his character won me over...Called him into 25 yards, made it maybe 40 after the

Boat load of these and they were ‘rut’ stupid...Lol  Note to self, apply for Lopes...

Some pictures are better then others, especially the last few as they were taken with my phone instead of my camera...Fall baby, no better time!  

Posted Images

Back home, meat is taken care of...Relax a little bit and get ready to chase Deer and Birds now...Wyoming has been on my to-do list for 12 years, which is one under max points...I really didn’t plan for it to be that long, but that one under max thing can be a deal breaker when you know which units, you really want to hunt...

860BB2AD-5149-4B42-8615-FB029C6C28FF.jpeg

I chose the Green Mtn Unit, central Wyoming, zero Wolves or Big Bears...That and a lot of Elk with a high Bull to Cow ratio...Being a bow hunter only I knew and heard the rut would be pretty crazy...I also chose the last half of the Archery season to be there, planning on the 15th or so on and actually getting there on the 16th...

Open country unit, which I like...If calling isn’t working, spot and stalk works just as well, if not better...At least for me!

70A6F6B8-2217-4777-AE42-679D7E44EF3E.jpeg

F8FEB742-B5D4-48AD-ACC5-38E846E4532E.jpeg

Found Elk right away and they were chasing, herding and defending...A lot of satellites kept the bigger herd bulls moving, which I had planned for...What I didn’t plan for was wind...

Everyday 20/25+ with gust to 30 and 40...There were windows in the morning and evening and you just had to capitalize on those, as you couldn’t hear them, nor they you...The bowl, I found a boat load of Bulls in!  

033D4902-E93A-4E7C-982B-B3EA83994FAB.jpeg

Chasing is never a good thing, at least for me...I knew after a couple days and with weather moving in and then a warm up, it could go side ways fast...I needed to make one of those windows of somewhat calm work...Each day, I’d get a lil closer...

And on the 20th I woke up to pretty calm winds and just the thermals to deal with...Perfect!

52770B72-467B-4A3D-BBB6-56AB7477DB90.jpeg

I glassed first and picked up a couple of the different herds and satellite’s and dropped into the draw at the bottom...I started cow calling and then throw a bugle in here and there...Several Bulls lite up and one I actually could see heading my way in a hurry...

As he came closer, he also started to adjust to come in above me to catch the thermals and the game began...He’d bugle every few yards it seemed, so it was easy to keep track of him and adjust myself to keep the advantage, cow calling each time...It took a while, but also seemed pretty quick, when I caught sight of his rack clear a small ridge below me...Not big, but unique!  As he cleared some tree’s I was like ‘oh yeah’...I had ranged a snag in front of me at 22 yards...He stopped just behind it!  Of course...Lol

From the snag looking to where I had shot from!  

22572F3E-65ED-4F97-BCCE-1190F0F247D0.jpeg

Behind the snag and looking, I threw a cow call to my left and up the hill...He came out and slightly quartered away...Arrow took him above the heart stopping and breaking the off shoulder....He turned and headed down hill, I cow called after him...

Not seeing him come out the bottom or top, I slipped over to where he was standing...When I peeked down the way he had headed, I could see him laying, maybe 40 yards away...The rest as they say, is history...

5256FF50-9940-4CF9-9295-20F7F2A2DE1B.jpeg

Some pictures are better then others, especially the last few as they were taken with my phone instead of my camera...Fall baby, no better time!  

782CEC62-3E5C-4885-8EA6-9F531AEA4565.jpeg

On 9/23/2019 at 11:46 PM, GeorgeE said:

What a great hunt, got it done in Wyoming on the 4th day of my DIY hunt in a great unit...Not the biggest I chased, but his character won me over...Called him into 25 yards, made it maybe 40 after the shot!  

2E2DAFD3-0E59-4322-96C3-9FA5FFFB5E2C.jpeg

66BB06DB-0E0A-4018-A021-5DD5E9554B8C.jpeg

great archery bull!!

2 hours ago, Clueless1 said:

Fantastic.  I hope to have an elk picture with me behind it someday.  Congrats!

You will!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 4:52 PM, GeorgeE said:

Boat load of these and they were ‘rut’ stupid...Lol  Note to self, apply for Lopes...

C5A9E6F9-E85A-4A61-8229-41EA94A7038A.jpeg

73AE8054-E209-4722-88C2-68098F0CF73A.jpeg

One of the most fun species to chase for sure. I have heard if you bow hunt them it's ground blinds near water holes or huge round bails that can conceal an archer.  One of these with a bow would be an accomplishment  ! & good eat'n also.

Nice read ! Enjoyed your post .