College Football: How's your team doing?

3 hours ago, GLS said:

My Clemson allegiance arises from my dad being a starting end  in the early 40’s.  I am a Clemson fan except when the Dawgs play them.  I lived the first year of my life on Clemson’s campus in veteran's married housing when dad returned after WWII to complete studies.   One of the best stories dad told about playing for Clemson was the game against Boston College at Fenway when they played on the infield.  Clemson led 7-0 until the 3rd quarter and eventually lost 14-7.  In the first half a Clemson receiver dropped a pass which hit him in the numbers while standing in the end zone.   He didn’t get on the bus to catch the train back to SC and was never seen again; he joined the army.  To a man, his teammates thought he did the right thing.  Boston College was ranked up at the top with an undefeated season and was heavily favored against cross-town rival Holy Cross on November 28, 1942.  BC was so cocky before the game, they reserved a room at a local night club and had champagne on ice in tubs for the certain celebration.  Holy Cross stomped them 55-0.  Dejected, not a BC soul went to the nightclub, the Cocoanut Grove.  That night, with exits nailed shut to prevent crashers, fire broke out killing 492 souls locked inside the inferno.  Later that season, dad caught the go ahead touchdown against the rival Gamecocks.  After the season, all on the team went off to war.  Here’s dad in the 1942  BC game program with his last name misspelled.  He is in the photo in the middle.  Claude Rothwell  on the same page as dad was killed in action with two other teammates from that season.  Dad was wounded twice, the last time giving him a permanent limp.

2019-09-26_121418.thumb.jpg.903418eec402d4e54566383289245849.jpg

interesting, My dad played at Clemson , baseball.   He has a lot of stories to tell as well. He graduated in 59.   Id be willing to bet you that there was 2 brothers from my home town that were at Clemson the same time as your dad. WW 2 came calling and were sent  to be officers in some national guard units up north. There is actually a book a local guy wrote about this, Seems like there were 40-50 or maybe more guys from Clemson that were sent up north to serve as officers in national guard units up north that there officers were to old to serve. The book was written because people couldn't  figure out how all these guys from Clemson ended up where they did. Never read the book but talked to the Auther whom I graduated high school with. It was a very fascinating story. Was your dad one of the guy that got shipped up north along with the others by chance.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dogwood

• GLS

• Clueless1

• mccuha

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dad was commissioned  through reserve officers training and went to Ft. Leonard Wood ,Ky., with the "Yankee Division" and trained for almost a year before going to Europe as a platoon leader for a hea

My Clemson allegiance arises from my dad being a starting end  in the early 40’s.  I am a Clemson fan except when the Dawgs play them.  I lived the first year of my life on Clemson’s campus in veteran

Always been an IU fan.  Dad played for them in the early 30's.  Check out the pictures.  Jim Cavacini.  First picture, dad lower left.  Second picture as a sophomore.

Posted Images

Dad was commissioned  through reserve officers training and went to Ft. Leonard Wood ,Ky., with the "Yankee Division" and trained for almost a year before going to Europe as a platoon leader for a heavy weapons platoon attached to the 3rd Infantry.  The Yankee Division was out of Massachusetts and was originally a national guard unit according to its history.  Fast forward 70 something years to 2012 when my nephew, a USAF Combat Air Controller attached to Special Forces in Afghanistan,  recognized his grandfather's division shoulder patch on these two troops on the left.  Helmand Province, Afghanistan.  Nephew is on the right.   Gil

DSCF1420.thumb.JPG.33d15ccc144c85ef305c79bb4b1029cf.JPG

I bet 

5 hours ago, GLS said:

Dad was commissioned  through reserve officers training and went to Ft. Leonard Wood ,Ky., with the "Yankee Division" and trained for almost a year before going to Europe as a platoon leader for a heavy weapons platoon attached to the 3rd Infantry.  The Yankee Division was out of Massachusetts and was originally a national guard unit according to its history.  Fast forward 70 something years to 2012 when my nephew, a USAF Combat Air Controller attached to Special Forces in Afghanistan,  recognized his grandfather's division shoulder patch on these two troops on the left.  Helmand Province, Afghanistan.  Nephew is on the right.   Gil

I’m just wondering if he was a part of that group. All the guys that were sent up north from Clemson all trained with northern national guard units and were trained and placed as platoon leaders. 

5 hours ago, GLS said:

Found a small right up about what I was talking about. May have been to early for your dad to have been in this group. https://clemson.world/fighting-tigers/

Thanks for the link.  The Red Arrows preceded dad's group.  While Europe was bad enough, I can't imagine being in the Pacific in WWII.  Mom lost a brother and my wife lost an uncle in the Pacific.  In those days, Clemson had a large ROTC presence and the entire student body was uniformed.  At the time it was "Clemson A&M".  I located a cache of 8x10" photos of the game at Fenway in '42 that are on the net and digitized.  I ordered a few that contained dad in action.  Back then, the ball players played both defense and offense.  One of my  sisters is currently working on a Disney movie at Clemson about a former player who was awarded custody of a sibling while his mother was in drug rehab.  Gil

6 hours ago, GLS said:

Thanks for the link.  The Red Arrows preceded dad's group.  While Europe was bad enough, I can't imagine being in the Pacific in WWII.  Mom lost a brother and my wife lost an uncle in the Pacific.  In those days, Clemson had a large ROTC presence and the entire student body was uniformed.  At the time it was "Clemson A&M".  I located a cache of 8x10" photos of the game at Fenway in '42 that are on the net and digitized.  I ordered a few that contained dad in action.  Back then, the ball players played both defense and offense.  One of my  sisters is currently working on a Disney movie at Clemson about a former player who was awarded custody of a sibling while his mother was in drug rehab.  Gil

Yep Rey Rey.    I remember when he played just a few years ago. Very heart warming story. The football coaches wives would help take care of the young boy while Rey was in class,practice and games.  They’d take him to school and any other thing they needed to help him with.  This past weekend they did a shoot during the game and at halftime with them running down the hill and whatever else.  They had a huge crowd that cheered for the actors just like it was a real game.  I’m not a big movie person but I’ll definitely have to check it out when it comes out. 

About the red  arrow group. There were 2 guys from my home town that was apart of the Clemson group that got sent were  Brothers.  They both survived the war. One of them owned the only welding/ fab shop in town back in the day.  A good friend of mine worked for him. He said he heard a lot of stories about what he and his platoon went through but the gentleman would never speak of it himself. He saw people try to pry stuff out of him about it but all he’d say is that ithevthings he saw human beings should never have to witness.  His platoon was all but wiped out.  

On 9/26/2019 at 1:06 PM, Lurch said:

Going to visit friends and see my first Viginia Tech/Duke game tomorrow.

Is it OK to hate Duke football because of Christian Laetner and Bobby Hurley? Asking for a friend ¬¬

How did that go? 😞

Penn State rolled last night, O'line finally showed up; hopefully will continue to get better. Nice stable of running backs and receivers; defense looks pretty good. 

3 hours ago, GLS said:

No Golden Domers??

I mentioned them on the last page. Should be a good game today against Virginia.

1 hour ago, Big Pine said:

I mentioned them on the last page. Should be a good game today against Virginia.

MIssed it!  Dad was recruited by ND.  A local priest sent high school game film.