REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
RayB

MT winter weather

406dn
9 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Bears, wolves and now snow, cold and ice. What next to keep outastateas away? Cape buffalo? 🤗

(Seriously, best of luck with bad weather, I can relate...Maine and all.)

Don't forget snakes, cactus, porcupines, skunks, lousy cell coverage, relentless wind,,,,, I could go on but since our birds are so sparse,,,,😎

Greg Hartman

No dogs allowed, sadly.

RMH

I would bet that your dogs are better behaved than most of the people there.

sharptail grouse
19 hours ago, quailguy said:

Note the ice on the taller weeds as the gunners and dog come through. 

Montana icebox

Sorry. My sympathy for you guys in this photo is pretty thin.

Probably at least 16 inches here on the flats and I'm certain more fell than that - it has been melting from the ground up. Significant tree damage here in town. I can't imagine what it must be like up against the mountains. Some of those folks are going to be stuck for awhile. They got worked.

i'm sure the sharptails will pull out of this just fine, but huns and roosters might take a bit of a hit. There are neo-tropical migrants all over the place that got stuck migrating thru - they are working the trees and bushes all over town this morning. Down to 13 tonite - that should take care of many of them.

The only good thing I can see about this is that there will be fewer bird hunters this fall - no birds to hunt and whats left will eaten by the grizzlies. Any hunters and their dogs will be devoured by the wolves. 😎

terrym
6 hours ago, sharptail grouse said:

Any hunters and their dogs will be devoured by the wolves. 

You guys are panty waists. We eat the wolves, raw. 😎

martyg

It might be a good year to ski the Northern Rockies.

sharptail grouse
Just now, martyg said:

It might be a good year to ski the Northern Rockies.

Oh, there will be a base for sure.

Remo

That storm sucks. We went through the same thing early Oct. last year. Damage to trees was extraordinary. Bird cover pounded flat too.

sharptail grouse

My better half works for the Forest Service. She called after she got to work this morning and apparently there are at least two outfitters w/dudes that decided to sit the storm out back in the wilderness. I'm sure the people will get out, even if they have to airlift them. But the horses/mules.......

406dn
11 minutes ago, sharptail grouse said:

My better half works for the Forest Service. She called after she got to work this morning and apparently there are at least two outfitters w/dudes that decided to sit the storm out back in the wilderness. I'm sure the people will get out, even if they have to airlift them. But the horses/mules.......

While the dudes might not enjoy the ride, the horses and mules can get out of there just fine, I'm pretty certain. Now they might shy from the frozen game birds sticking up thru the snow.😏

We got it far easier than you. There was less than an inch of rain and the wind wasn't too bad. Of course we had no birds before the storm.😎

My brother in law and a friend of his rode into the Thorofare to elk hunt just as the storm was beginning.

sharptail grouse
1 minute ago, 406dn said:

While the dudes might not enjoy the ride, the horses and mules can get out of there just fine, I'm pretty certain. Now they might shy from the frozen game birds sticking up thru the snow.😏

We got it far easier than you. There was less than an inch of rain and the wind wasn't too bad. Of course we had no birds before the storm.😎

My brother in law and a friend of his rode into the Thorofare to elk hunt just as the storm was beginning.

You would know more about the horse thing than me, but 4 feet of snow is a lot of snow. O.o

I agree about the frozen birds - one frozen blue grouse sticking out of the snow while they are going over a pass and there goes the whole string....:o 

Greg Hartman
5 hours ago, sharptail grouse said:

You would know more about the horse thing than me, but 4 feet of snow is a lot of snow. O.o

I agree about the frozen birds - one frozen blue grouse sticking out of the snow while they are going over a pass and there goes the whole string....:o 

Buncha MT wimps.  You guys need us imported PA hunters to show you tough...

9-28-19 - Hardening the dog during a Montana snow storm -2

Alaskan Swamp Collie
11 hours ago, terrym said:

You guys are panty waists. We eat the wolves, raw. 😎

You got us beat, we soak them in soy sauce first.

406dn

I got this photo from a friend who lives near Glacier. 5363.thumb.jpeg.3250551d9ce5c3b8135ad9d3401892b7.jpeg

sharptail grouse
23 minutes ago, 406dn said:

I got this photo from a friend who lives near Glacier. 5363.thumb.jpeg.3250551d9ce5c3b8135ad9d3401892b7.jpeg

Yep. Browning got 4".