REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
RayB

MT winter weather

Dave Medema

Must have been a weird storm.  My nephew lives in Whitefish and got zero snow.  Town webcams show green grass and no snow on the buildings.

406dn

The Rocky Mountains are a barrier for most storms. Storms coming in from the Pacific rarely get across to the plains. This storm was a vigorous Alberta clipper. They but up against the east face of the mountains and don't normally get over the divide.

sharptail grouse
23 minutes ago, 406dn said:

The Rocky Mountains are a barrier for most storms. Storms coming in from the Pacific rarely get across to the plains. This storm was a vigorous Alberta clipper. They but up against the east face of the mountains and don't normally get over the divide.

They butt up against us and just sit there. We get rains like this too. Last May it rained 7" in one event. I realize folks from SE Texas just laugh at this, but the area where that 7" fell normally gets maybe 15" of precip a year.

It was 10 degrees this morning when I took the dog out to burn off some energy. Went for a drive just now and there are sharptails and pheasants hanging out on the only snow free area around - the road. Ravens and magpies are having a feast on the tenderized carcasses.

Greg Hartman

I’m VERY glad I wimped out on the way to Glacier and turned back east to ride out the storm in north central MT! With the big rig towing a truck, we’d likely still be stuck for another week.  Instead, we are hoping to hunt today.  Temp below freezing, but the snow is gone and the wind down.  The biggest impediment will probably be the gumbo.

406dn

Greg, if your schedule allows and the weather cooperates, a side trip to Glacier is something you really should do. I have not been all over the planet but there isn't a place I've ever seen that is more stunning than Glacier. If you get a good clear day, not too windy etc, take the drive to Browning. Then take the drive on State 464 from Browning to Baab. The view of the mountain front is pretty pretty good. It may be that after this storm, it will take a while for that road to be clear.

From Baab, you can easily access Many Glacier, which is my favorite area of the park. When our daughter was in college, her and I met each summer to hike the many trails there.

Dick Sellers

Sometimes a freak snow reveals interesting things not other wise noticed - like fresh black bear tracks across my driveway 50' from the front door. 

Greg Hartman
21 minutes ago, 406dn said:

Greg, if your schedule allows and the weather cooperates, a side trip to Glacier is something you really should do. I have not been all over the planet but there isn't a place I've ever seen that is more stunning than Glacier. If you get a good clear day, not too windy etc, take the drive to Browning. Then take the drive on State 464 from Browning to Baab. The view of the mountain front is pretty pretty good. It may be that after this storm, it will take a while for that road to be clear.

From Baab, you can easily access Many Glacier, which is my favorite area of the park. When our daughter was in college, her and I met each summer to hike the many trails there.

Thanks!  I've been there a number of times and it rivals the Austrian alps for one of the most beautiful places on this planet, to my eye at least.  I'd love to see it again, but much more than that, I'd like my partner (who has not traveled or otherwise led a privileged life) to see the area.  Given the snow and the fact that she needs to be back for work by late October, it's probably not going to happen this time unless I leave the MH where it is and just drive out with the dogs in the truck, hoping to stay in motels or the like for some days.  I'd be willing to give up some hunting to do that.

Do you think the area would be drivable in a good 4x4 truck later this week? Do you think we could find reasonably affordable places to stay with two lively bird dawgs?

sharptail grouse
5 minutes ago, Dick Sellers said:

Sometimes a freak snow reveals interesting things not other wise noticed - like fresh black bear tracks across my driveway 50' from the front door. 

Yep. Or whether there has been a grizzly hanging out in the shelterbelt you are thinking about hunting

Just now, Greg Hartman said:

Thanks!  I've been there a number of times and it rivals the Austrian alps for one of the most beautiful places on this planet, to my eye at least.  I'd love to see it again, but much more than that, I'd like my partner (who has not traveled or otherwise led a privileged life) to see the area.  Given the snow and the fact that she needs to be back for work by late October, it's probably not going to happen this time unless I leave the MH where it is and just drive out with the dogs in the truck, hoping to stay in motels or the like for some days.  I'd be willing to give up some hunting to do that.

Do you think the area would be drivable in a good 4x4 truck later this week? Do you think we could find reasonably affordable places to stay with two lively bird dawgs?

I wouldnt count on getting off the paved roads this week.

406dn
11 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

The highway I mentioned is paved. The big concern would be ice and wind. If it is above freezing and sunny, a 4x4 could easily handle the conditions. That part of Montana, this time of year can get some hellacious wind, so if you have that and ice,,,I'd skip it.

There is lodging available around Duck Lake, Baab, and St. Mary. It varies from spartan to fairly spendy. One place I came up with is Montana's Duck Creek lodge. It says they allow pets,,would be on the spartan side. There are other options if you surf the web a bit.

One thing on my personal bucket list is to take horses up there some time in August, find a place to stable them, and ride all over the park.

Greg Hartman
1 hour ago, 406dn said:

The highway I mentioned is paved. The big concern would be ice and wind. If it is above freezing and sunny, a 4x4 could easily handle the conditions. That part of Montana, this time of year can get some hellacious wind, so if you have that and ice,,,I'd skip it.

There is lodging available around Duck Lake, Baab, and St. Mary. It varies from spartan to fairly spendy. One place I came up with is Montana's Duck Creek lodge. It says they allow pets,,would be on the spartan side. There are other options if you surf the web a bit.

One thing on my personal bucket list is to take horses up there some time in August, find a place to stable them, and ride all over the park.

Thanks.  We may give just driving out to Glacier in the truck from NC Montana a try later this week.

Greg Hartman
1 hour ago, sharptail grouse said:

Yep. Or whether there has been a grizzly hanging out in the shelterbelt you are thinking about hunting

I wouldnt count on getting off the paved roads this week.

I agree.  Should be enough paved roads in the Glacier area to be OK.

quailguy
On 9/30/2019 at 11:12 AM, sharptail grouse said:

Sorry. My sympathy for you guys in this photo is pretty thin.

Probably at least 16 inches here on the flats and I'm certain more fell than that - it has been melting from the ground up. Significant tree damage here in town. I can't imagine what it must be like up against the mountains. Some of those folks are going to be stuck for awhile. They got worked.

i'm sure the sharptails will pull out of this just fine, but huns and roosters might take a bit of a hit. There are neo-tropical migrants all over the place that got stuck migrating thru - they are working the trees and bushes all over town this morning. Down to 13 tonite - that should take care of many of them.

The only good thing I can see about this is that there will be fewer bird hunters this fall - no birds to hunt and whats left will eaten by the grizzlies. Any hunters and their dogs will be devoured by the wolves. 😎

Actually that trip was so bad I only took 4 photos over 6 days.  That photo was the first day during a quiet spell.

Generally it rained, snowed and sleeted every day. Some times we had complete whiteouts and couldn’t see 10 feet. The wind blew hard and unceasingly; in Glendive there were numerous piles of still green leaves stripped off the trees and piled up randomly.  

RayB and I were headed off to hunt pheasants on the first Tuesday of the season I think it was. The temperature was 28 degrees according to my F250 and it was raining. After about ten miles of this I asked if Ray was enjoying all this.  NO!!!  Well, are you ready to head to Texas??

Yes!! Me too. And we were headed south with the TT in about an hour. 

That was the worst 7 consecutive days of weather I have ever experienced and I’ve been through some pretty lousy weather curtesy of my Uncle Sam.  

sharptail grouse
52 minutes ago, quailguy said:

Actually that trip was so bad I only took 4 photos over 6 days.  That photo was the first day during a quiet spell.

Generally it rained, snowed and sleeted every day. Some times we had complete whiteouts and couldn’t see 10 feet. The wind blew hard and unceasingly; in Glendive there were numerous piles of still green leaves stripped off the trees and piled up randomly.  

RayB and I were headed off to hunt pheasants on the first Tuesday of the season I think it was. The temperature was 28 degrees according to my F250 and it was raining. After about ten miles of this I asked if Ray was enjoying all this.  NO!!!  Well, are you ready to head to Texas??

Yes!! Me too. And we were headed south with the TT in about an hour. 

That was the worst 7 consecutive days of weather I have ever experienced and I’ve been through some pretty lousy weather curtesy of my Uncle Sam.  

I remember that year. The first two mornings of pheasant season were below zero.

Greg Hartman

Well, we are leaving the MH sit and heading off to Glacier in just the truck for 4-5 days.  Gonna stay at a budget motel with the dogs in East Glacier.  Lot's of room, I gather. 🙂  I'm told Many Glaciers road is open!!  The place should be very pretty with the early snow, assuming we can get around.  Maybe get some good pics!!  I'm gonna take a shot at it and Nancy is game for a try.