REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Chevy all electric Bolt

Marc Ret
30 minutes ago, sharptail grouse said:

"Bolt" doesn't sound very elegant or racey. Makes me think of "Dolt".

Probably a great vehicle - I know nothing about them.

This fella might disagree with your notion that "Bolt" doesn't sound "racey".😎

image.jpeg

sharptail grouse
Just now, Marc Ret said:

This fella might disagree with your notion that "Bolt" doesn't sound "racey".😎

image.jpeg

Yes. But I probably wouldn't bring it up with him either.:D

Marc Ret
31 minutes ago, sharptail grouse said:

Yes. But I probably wouldn't bring it up with him either.:D

Doubtful you'd catch him even if inclined to share your opinion.😬

sharptail grouse
33 minutes ago, Marc Ret said:

Doubtful you'd catch him even if inclined to share your opinion.😬

Actually there is no doubt whatsoever.

Mike da Carpenter
2 hours ago, salmontogue said:

Nearly three years ago we purchased a two year old off lease Volt (22.5K mileage) for 13K with a new, when needed, battery pack included.  It was a whim that has turned out to be a really nice car.  It has experienced zero problems, has a lifetime mpg of 58 and is fun to drive even though very different from fossil fuel vehicles.  The dealer was stuck with this car and there was no customer interest, therefore the amazing price.  It is quick, handles well and is silent even when switching from battery to gas engine.

This would not normally have grabbed my attention except it was different and I wanted to "experiment".  Glad I did.

It is unsuitable for off-road with low clearance and for long trips it is too small.  It is our spare vehicle although my wife really likes it.  While not a fan of recent GM vehicles, I have to give kudos to this one.  Performance, reliability, fit/finish and economy of operation are all first rate.  I would never buy a new one, only certified pre-owned.  13K for a two year old 45K car is astonishing.  Free battery replacement when required is beyond amazing.

I hate cars, but would have bought that in a heartbeat just to commute to and from work.

martyg
2 hours ago, pjourn said:

I'm ready for it. No refueling, no oil changes.. I'm in. Make it 4wd with good range and I'm sold. 

Batteries are improving by leaps and bounds and electric vehicles are going to reflect that in the near future.

I vividly remember the early makita cordless tools. They were handy, but no substitute for corded drills. Fast forward to now. I haven't used a plugin circular saw, drill or driver in a long time. I basically only charge my e-collars to top them off, not because they go dead. I'm typing on a laptop that I don't even take a charger for when I travel.

Bring on the electrics!

https://rivian.com/

By the time I am ready to get rid of my SQ5 I'll probably be going electric.

RayB

I heard Tesla now has an option on their self driving car that will let the car come to you. 

quailguy
1 hour ago, RayB said:

I heard Tesla now has an option on their self driving car that will let the car come to you. 

My college roommate is on his second Tesla, this one the hatchback.  It is a very nice car, well made, with every sort of car gizmo they could think of on it. This goes 250 miles or so before needing a charge. A  partial charge takes 45 minutes I think.  A full up charge is a overnight deal. 

I like the Tesla a lot but even the Tesla isn’t a good car for traveling because of the 10 hour full up charge requirement after only 250 miles.  It’s fine

for short trips and driving around the local area, very quiet and comfy.  

Spin
5 hours ago, RayB said:

For around town I would be in the market but for road trips I still want liquid dinosaur in the tank

No chance for a hybrid?

rideold
9 minutes ago, Spin said:

No chance for a hybrid?

5 hours ago, RayB said:

For around town I would be in the market but for road trips I still want liquid dinosaur in the tank

We've been looking at plug-in hybrids for this exact reason.  99% of our driving is under 10 miles per round trip.

blanked

I don’t get the save on gas and oil change idea. Tesla cheapest is still $45,000.  At least 3 years ago it was.  You can easily buy a corolla or Altima or equivalent for less than $20,000.  I doubt I would spend an extra $25,000 in gas and oil changes to break even 

Wirehair
8 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

No oil changes, no gas fill up...the future is here. (Please don't make this Topic Political, just thought it was interesting to have a full electric vehicle "in the family".)

I'm still having a hard time accepting the battery powered chainsaws....

Brad Eden
4 minutes ago, Wirehair said:

I'm still having a hard time accepting the battery powered chainsaws....

Me too but I want one.

ryanr
On 10/1/2019 at 1:05 PM, sharptail grouse said:

"Bolt" doesn't sound very elegant or racey. Makes me think of "Dolt".

Probably a great vehicle - I know nothing about them.

Yeah, Usain Bolt was slow.😂

martyg
On 10/1/2019 at 5:38 PM, blanked said:

I don’t get the save on gas and oil change idea. Tesla cheapest is still $45,000.  At least 3 years ago it was.  You can easily buy a corolla or Altima or equivalent for less than $20,000.  I doubt I would spend an extra $25,000 in gas and oil changes to break even 

Less than $20K??? What year? New Altimas, at least, start at mid $30K. Anything modestly performance and luxury oriented is well into, or far north of, the Tesla range.

Drive an econobox, and a Tesla. Not even in the same league.