REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Chevy all electric Bolt

Flush

People don't drive electric vehicles to save money.

If your objective is to get from point A to point B in a new vehicle, buying all electric is not the cheapest way to go.

Buying hybird MIGHT be the cheaper depending how many miles you drive and how expensive fuel is in your area.

Plenty of reason to go electric, but lowest cost transportation is not one of them, not today. 

Nissan Altima's start at $24k btw

rideold

Good point Flush. I once heard someone say that solar on you house and electric vehicles are philosophical decisions rather than economic ones. That'll change some day but I doubt it will be while I'm still alive. 

Brad Eden

Yes, I wanted to mention that my SIL decision to buy an EV wasnt based on saving money in general or on gas or oil. He is a Vegan, trying in his own way, and mind, to save the world. I just don't want this Topic to turn mean spirited or Political. He's a very smart and kind man (in his early 40's, so not a naive kid) , who treats my daughter very well. 

RayB
On 10/1/2019 at 4:44 PM, Spin said:

No chance for a hybrid?

We drove one when we visited Gettysburg PA last year, it was fine for around the battle field but for a road trip, no. That maybe because of my svelte little 6'3" 300+ body 🤣

salmontogue
12 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Yes, I wanted to mention that my SIL decision to buy an EV wasnt based on saving money in general or on gas or oil. He is a Vegan, trying in his own way, and mind, to save the world. I just don't want this Topic to turn mean spirited or Political. He's a very smart and kind man (in his early 40's, so not a naive kid) , who treats my daughter very well. 

Our experience with our Volt hybrid is that it is the most economical transportation ever and the one we have is a loaded version.  We bought it at two years old coming off lease with 22.5k miles and 2/3 off the original MSRP including a new replacement battery pack should we ever need it..  We have had it three years with zero problems and an average 58 mpg.  The certified pre-owned purchase price was 13k.  Incredible

We bought ours as an experiment which turned out abfab.

Tell your SIL that this old fossil thinks he made a wise choice if he has luck similar to ours.

Perk

Clueless1

If I end up with a hybrid or an electric it will be to save money. 

dvmweb

Hey, they’re coming. So is solar and wind power. I can imagine one day, living in Florida or Arizona, coming home and plugging your car into a house and garage with solar panels and a powered up battery pack to charge it up.

AC and refrigerators will be the highest power draws.

A lot of our gizmos are modest amp and low voltage dc, think about the transformers for the cellphone charger, etc.

The cost per watt hour is getting closer. Hardly anyone drives a horse and buggy these days.

Dogwood
1 hour ago, salmontogue said:

Our experience with our Volt hybrid is that it is the most economical transportation ever and the one we have is a loaded version.  We bought it at two years old coming off lease with 22.5k miles and 2/3 off the original MSRP including a new replacement battery pack should we ever need it..  We have had it three years with zero problems and an average 58 mpg.  The certified pre-owned purchase price was 13k.  Incredible

We bought ours as an experiment which turned out abfab.

Tell your SIL that this old fossil thinks he made a wise choice if he has luck similar to ours.

Perk

How does it fair in the winter traction-wise?

Woodcock_chaser

My boss commutes over 85 miles per day love his. He said you need to make sure and have  charging system at home but thats added cost of 750 dollars or so.

blanked

Altimas advertsied all around here for 19,500.  

WMassGriff

If the right situation I'd try one. Right now for me its 4WD, ground clearance, and guts to tow the boat. 

Birdcountry70
On 10/1/2019 at 9:55 AM, Mike da Carpenter said:

So you can hear them coming down the road.  There is no engine noise to alert people walking and not paying attention to their surroundings.  Add to that a car that makes no noise and that’s a recipe for disaster.

Maybe they should just put 35" mud tires on them. I'm pretty sure you could here my pickup coming down the road even if it stalled and I was coasting.🤔

quailguy
On 10/1/2019 at 7:38 PM, blanked said:

I don’t get the save on gas and oil change idea. Tesla cheapest is still $45,000.  At least 3 years ago it was.  You can easily buy a corolla or Altima or equivalent for less than $20,000.  I doubt I would spend an extra $25,000 in gas and oil changes to break even 

Bingo!!!

Run the numbers; no way can you buy an electric vehicle and save money. I’ve run the numbers for 3-4 electric cars and get the very same answer above. 

If you want one to look cool or whatever it’s your money, go for it. Just don’t think you are saving money or the planet. 

GLS

One concern about 4x4, off road and electricity is that the batteries are stretched out along the top of the frame and the power motors, 4 of them are also low.  H20 and electricity don't mix well.  Not insurmountable an issue, but I'd take a wait and see posture on how the first few years of an electric 4x4 works out off road in wet, submersed conditions.  Expect the unexpected  Gil.

Curt

My nephew is the only one in our family with any electric car experience.  He bought a Tesla three or four years ago but it was destroyed by hail early this year in Colorado.  He has a new Tesla now and is planning to bring his family to the Thanksgiving get together in NY next month driving the thing.  It'll be a pretty long test for the car, he lives in Broomfield, Co..  I'll be interested to hear his evaluation when we get together.