I must be getting old.

Shot a 110 lb spike horn this evening.  I’d guess the drag out was 300 yards, half through thick swamp including a knee deep ditch crossing.  I didn’t rush. Took me an hour or more.

And right now now I feel like I drug an moose out of the woods, and then got blind sided by a bus.   My knees are creaking and my back aches.  The Jim beam black and oj has only dulled the pain so much.  

There was a brief time when I could have just about tossed the deer from the stand to the truck.  

For all you hard charging 60 and 70 something year olds who don’t think 49 is old....shut up.  And God bless you lucky bastards.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• MAArcher

• mccuha

• Spiller

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shot a 110 lb spike horn this evening.  I’d guess the drag out was 300 yards, half through thick swamp including a knee deep ditch crossing.  I didn’t rush. Took me an hour or more.   And ri

Gosh, man!  What is this dragging of which you speak?    

I'd does occurs to us. But traditionally we like to sweat and pull so we can weigh them, hang them field dressed, and show them off. That includes 1000 pound bull moose. Nobody suggests we are the sha

Posted Images

This is why my usual spot is only 150 yr walk from the road up a slight incline. If I'm lucky enough to kill a deer the drag is downhill! Congrats BTW.

5 hours ago, MAArcher said:

Shot a 110 lb spike horn this evening.  I’d guess the drag out was 300 yards, half through thick swamp including a knee deep ditch crossing.  I didn’t rush. Took me an hour or more.

And right now now I feel like I drug an moose out of the woods, and then got blind sided by a bus.   My knees are creaking and my back aches.  The Jim beam black and oj has only dulled the pain so much.  

There was a brief time when I could have just about tossed the deer from the stand to the truck.  

For all you hard charging 60 and 70 something year olds who don’t think 49 is old....shut up.  And God bless you lucky bastards.

........49 is old

Good deer !

Happens. Although I didn't start keeping a jet sled in my truck until I was 58....from the beginning of early bow until I've tagged out. Congrats on the deer. I'm jealous. Compound or crossgun?

14 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Happens. Although I didn't start keeping a jet sled in my truck until I was 58....from the beginning of early bow until I've tagged out. Congrats on the deer. I'm jealous. Compound or crossgun?

Crossgun.  Fist one with it.

7 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

Crossgun.  Fist one with it.

Excellent. What are your thoughts on the shot as compared to if you had been shooting a compound?

You need to harness Wes and have him help pull.

Our regular statewide archery season began today. (Next year this will be open to crossguns.) I hunt it very sporadically, because if I tag a deer I'm done for the year, and I do so like to rifle hunt. I stick with the Expanded/Management hunt in urban zones where I can take multiple deer...although not yet.

1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

Excellent. What are your thoughts on the shot as compared to if you had been shooting a compound?

You need to harness Wes and have him help pull.

Our regular statewide archery season began today. (Next year this will be open to crossguns.) I hunt it very sporadically, because if I tag a deer I'm done for the year, and I do so like to rifle hunt. I stick with the Expanded/Management hunt in urban zones where I can take multiple deer...although not yet.

If I had been using my bow I couldn’t have taken the shot.  An hour before end of legal light I lose the ability to see through the peep sight.  

Rage hypodermics leave a big hole but don’t hold up against bone very well.  

Congrats on your buck.

I guess it just never occurs to eastern hunters to cut an animal into pieces. You could have gotten it out cleaner and it wouldn't have taken you any longer. 

21 minutes ago, 406dn said:

Congrats on your buck.

I guess it just never occurs to eastern hunters to cut an animal into pieces. You could have gotten it out cleaner and it wouldn't have taken you any longer. 

I'd does occurs to us. But traditionally we like to sweat and pull so we can weigh them, hang them field dressed, and show them off. That includes 1000 pound bull moose. Nobody suggests we are the sharpest tacks in the box.

IMG_1097.JPGIMG_1245.JPG .

sharptail grouse
2 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

I'd does occurs to us. But traditionally we like to sweat and pull so we can weigh them, hang them field dressed, and show them off. That includes 1000 pound bull moose. Nobody suggests we are the sharpest tacks in the box.

IMG_1097.JPGIMG_1245.JPG .

Makes a better picture.

1 minute ago, sharptail grouse said:

Makes a better picture.

Sure does...than this...

IMG_0934.JPG

1 hour ago, MAArcher said:

If I had been using my bow I couldn’t have taken the shot.  An hour before end of legal light I lose the ability to see through the peep sight.  

Rage hypodermics leave a big hole but don’t hold up against bone very well.  

Yeah, I had an eye injury in my dominant eye a year and a half ago, caused a vitreous detachment that resulted in constant floaters and loss of some vision. So seeing my peep sight is hit or miss depending on the light in woods. That's another reason I took the crossbow course and bought a crossbow for the future.

Any photos of the buck? I need to see a dead deer to believe it can actually be accomplished...