• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• MAArcher

• mccuha

• Spiller

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shot a 110 lb spike horn this evening.  I’d guess the drag out was 300 yards, half through thick swamp including a knee deep ditch crossing.  I didn’t rush. Took me an hour or more.   And ri

Gosh, man!  What is this dragging of which you speak?    

I'd does occurs to us. But traditionally we like to sweat and pull so we can weigh them, hang them field dressed, and show them off. That includes 1000 pound bull moose. Nobody suggests we are the sha

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

Yeah, I had an eye injury in my dominant eye a year and a half ago, caused a vitreous detachment that resulted in constant floaters and loss of some vision. So seeing my peep sight is hit or miss depending on the light in woods. That's another reason I took the crossbow course and bought a crossbow for the future.

Any photos of the buck? I need to see a dead deer to believe it can actually be accomplished...

I only took one

9ED0125E-031A-45EB-B36E-96775A526E3D.jpeg

1 hour ago, 406dn said:

Congrats on your buck.

I guess it just never occurs to eastern hunters to cut an animal into pieces. You could have gotten it out cleaner and it wouldn't have taken you any longer. 

I’ve been thinking of doing this.  Just hesitant to be the first guy to show up at the tagging station with a deer in pieces.

31 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

I’ve been thinking of doing this.  Just hesitant to be the first guy to show up at the tagging station with a deer in pieces.

You're not the first guy, trust me. Just read the regulations to make certain what you need to leave attached (testicle sack or teats) You can also bring the head out if needed or wanted. 

Take along a ground cloth in your day pack, to set the meat on while you're getting the meat ready.

Learn how to do the gutless method. It is so slick once you get on to it you'll never gut an animal again.

You should be able to haul the two hind quarters in one trip and everything else in another. 

A couple of years ago I gave a young man who had recently moved to Montana from Vermont (I think) a ride back to his truck. He had hunted into a different drainage and killed a small four point (8 point for those back east) about six miles from the trailhead. Following his brother's advice he came down hill until he cut the trail and came down the drainage. He carried 3/4 of the deer on his back and was holding a front quarter in his hands. He asked me where he was exactly and I told him he was a little less than two miles to his truck.

I told him he had packed it far enough and my brother and I gave him a ride the rest of the way. I felt old that day because I knew I could not do what he had just done.

2 hours ago, 406dn said:

You shoot a photo at the kill site if you want one. 

image.jpeg

image.jpegIMG_0140.JPGIMG_0516.JPGIMG_0339.JPGIMG_0553.JPG

We do both. Twofer. 

The best carry out I’ve had was hunting with a bunch of younger guys.  They lashed it to a pole and carried it out for me.  I never even touched the deer.

The best carry out I know of is in the DVD Brothers of the Bow Primal Dreams.  Some giant dude was toting two deer, one over each shoulder.  Don’t know how far he went but o don’t know anyone who could take two steps with two big deer like that.

A former colleague and hunting partner of mine, age 71, was in the NW Territories hunting caribou this week . Apparently he had shot one and was assisting the guide retrieve it.  In the process he  fell over dead of a heart attack. No history of heart issues.

Be careful.

SelbyLowndes

I'm 71, but after a stroke and bypass heart surgery, no hard charger anymore.  When I shoot a buck, I call one of my three grown sons and they drop whatever they're doing and come out to help me.  They were a pain to get up fool's hill as teenagers and I think of their deer dragging services as just reward for me not murdering any of them back then...SelbyLowndes

44 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

image.jpeg

image.jpegIMG_0140.JPGIMG_0516.JPGIMG_0339.JPGIMG_0553.JPG

We do both. Twofer. 

There is only 2 big game animals I’d like to take   One is a really good mulie the other is a moose.   Brad is that an above average moose for Maine?   It looks huge

1 hour ago, mccuha said:

There is only 2 big game animals I’d like to take   One is a really good mulie the other is a moose.   Brad is that an above average moose for Maine?   It looks huge

It's a decent bull. Not huge. That's the trick photography,...like a fish or buck head held at arms length. Seated at back for photo is deceiving. I'd have to check an old Topic but I think it had a 54" spread and was around 800lbs dressed.

1 hour ago, Samuel Hoggson said:

Gosh, man!  What is this dragging of which you speak?

2nddeer2010jd.thumb.jpg.86267595af043f8827f396c3ded05135.jpg

I have a friend who hunts out west and jokes about how he hunts thousands of acres out there and never has to drag more than 50 yards to edge of a field where it gets loaded into the truck or gator.   Then he comes back home and all the drags are a half mile through swamp.

sharptail grouse
7 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Sure does...than this...

IMG_0934.JPG

True, although I'd rather haul that out of the woods.

Different hunting east vs west in NH you have to check a whole gutted deer hide on within 24 hours of taking the deer at the nearest check station where you took it.  The regulation clearly state that you can not process a deer that has not been properly checked cutting it into quarters is processing.  We have 2 types of tags the one on your license is a temp tag which has to be filled out and attached to the deer this gets you from the kill site to the check station, at the check station you get a sealed tag which is attached to the deer through a rear leg.