I must be getting old.

Never hunted big game out west   Again “YET”. My fil hunts out there a good bit.  Shot a bull one time on the top of a ridge.  Said the guide kind of leaded the legs together and road the bull to the bottom like you’d ride a sled to where a road bed was.  I’d liked to have had that on video. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• MAArcher

• mccuha

• Spiller

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shot a 110 lb spike horn this evening.  I’d guess the drag out was 300 yards, half through thick swamp including a knee deep ditch crossing.  I didn’t rush. Took me an hour or more.   And ri

Gosh, man!  What is this dragging of which you speak?    

I'd does occurs to us. But traditionally we like to sweat and pull so we can weigh them, hang them field dressed, and show them off. That includes 1000 pound bull moose. Nobody suggests we are the sha

Posted Images

I'm not sure how I feel about crossbows in regular bow season....I tend more toward the nay than yay.....

SelbyLowndes
1 hour ago, Spiller said:

I'm not sure how I feel about crossbows in regular bow season....I tend more toward the nay than yay.....

We had the same argument here in GA and crossbows are in.  Same argument back years ago when compounds came on the scene here.  Jack Crockford, the father of our deer reintroduction in GA was a traditional bow hunter and screamed long and loud the compounds would ruin the sport.  I never bow hunted with anything but a Fred Bear recurve,..SelbyLowndes

On 10/4/2019 at 11:39 PM, MAArcher said:

Shot a 110 lb spike horn this evening.  I’d guess the drag out was 300 yards, half through thick swamp including a knee deep ditch crossing.  I didn’t rush. Took me an hour or more.

And right now now I feel like I drug an moose out of the woods, and then got blind sided by a bus.   My knees are creaking and my back aches.  The Jim beam black and oj has only dulled the pain so much.  

There was a brief time when I could have just about tossed the deer from the stand to the truck.  

For all you hard charging 60 and 70 something year olds who don’t think 49 is old....shut up.  And God bless you lucky bastards.

The only real comfort a person can take in getting old is that you can take comfort in being absolutely positive that everyone else

is too.

Watch out for Buzzards.

Whatever the DIFW determines is lawful is what I must and will abide by. 

However, I have been a member of the Maine Bowhunting Association off and on for over 20 years and the association has lobbied against crossbows during regular archery season....I don't think the association ever had a problem at all allowing them during rifle season and neither do I. 

I tend to agree with their position and if there is one thing about Mainers is that we don't like change.

But, now that crossbows are to be allowed during regular archery season next year at least they will not be allowed be in our Extended Archery seasons which are limited to urban areas with high deer populations. But I assume there will be that incremental change at sometime too.

I also have my own hunting land to manage as I wish within the law.

FWIW, I think the law should allow crossbows during regular rifle season but also during black powder season but nix them for regular and expanded archery,  Regular bows are not allowed during black powder season so allowing crossbows at that time basically provides a "special crossbow season" which I think is equitable and fair to all.  Reloading a crossbow is a chore as is a muzzleloader so I think they are pretty comparable....

I have hunted during muzzleloader season and if crossbows were allowed but regular bows were not I would (might) consider a purchase of a crossbow...but for me the Hitler parody is funny as hell because it  actually kinda rings true to my way of thought...

I prefer bowhunting to rifle hunting even though I have killed way more deer with a rifle.

I bought my own parcel of land 3 years ago and pay taxes dearly on it, to be able to hunt the way I prefer, i.e so that I can bow hunt during regular rifle season without rifle hunters infringing on my terroir. 

It is what it is....

Breakfast Boy
On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:39 AM, MAArcher said:

For all you hard charging 60 and 70 something year olds who don’t think 49 is old....shut up.  And God bless you lucky bastards.

I'm also 49.  I keep feeling each and every year in my knees.  But I lost 30 pounds over the summer so that helped a bit.  Congrats on putting some meat in the freezer!

On 10/5/2019 at 8:04 AM, 406dn said:

Congrats on your buck.

I guess it just never occurs to eastern hunters to cut an animal into pieces. You could have gotten it out cleaner and it wouldn't have taken you any longer. 

Wisconsin has a dumb rule about quartering deer. Can not be more than 5 pieces and the head must remain attached to one of the pieces. Also everything from the deer must be removed from the field except the guts. 

sharptail grouse
32 minutes ago, Wirehair said:

Wisconsin has a dumb rule about quartering deer. Can not be more than 5 pieces and the head must remain attached to one of the pieces. Also everything from the deer must be removed from the field except the guts. 

That is dumb.

42 minutes ago, Wirehair said:

In many states deer are really the primary or only "big" game animal that the regulations have to consider. Also in most states it is hard to get over a couple miles from a road.

In the west elk make up a much larger part of the picture. Along with that, the terrain and remoteness from roads makes getting the meat out a much larger challenge. I appreciate that my state has regulations that reflect the difficulty hunters face getting the meat from an animal recovered. A hunter just cannot get an elk recovered from a few miles in the back country in one piece, even with horses. 

It's too bad that more states do not have regulations that allow for breaking down an animal in the field. It is so much easier to keep the meat clean, compared to dragging a carcass over the ground for several hundred yards.

Another factor that isn't so big a deal with deer but it is with elk,, quartering an animal greatly helps with getting the meat cooled down.

sharptail grouse

I bone them out in the field even if I'm close to the truck - its been at least 20 years since I hung a whole animal. They are just easier to handle once they're in pieces and they cool down a lot quicker. And meat ages just fine no matter the size of the chunk as long as its cool.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:01 PM, gaberdeen said:

This is why my usual spot is only 150 yr walk from the road up a slight incline. If I'm lucky enough to kill a deer the drag is downhill! Congrats BTW.

When I was in my twenties a tough old deer hunter used to tell me when we went out. "Deer are downhill of you, venison is uphill".

I think a pack of boned out meat beats a picture if to are carrying it out. You just have to have proof of sex and species attached to a piece of meat. I usually just bring out the head.

Around here.  We hang our deer for 3-5 days.  They seem to taste better.  Also they are easier to cut after they’ve been cooled down for several days.  

My question.   Do you guys out west after you’ve quartered the animal and got it home hang it in a cooler before processing or process pretty much as soon as you get it home.  

1 hour ago, mccuha said:

Around here.  We hang our deer for 3-5 days.  They seem to taste better.  Also they are easier to cut after they’ve been cooled down for several days.  

My question.   Do you guys out west after you’ve quartered the animal and got it home hang it in a cooler before processing or process pretty much as soon as you get it home.  

If it's quartered or halved, I usually hang it for up to a week if it is cold. If it starts to warm up I start cutting it up. I usually cut up an elk pretty quick after the boned meat is cooled down which usually pretty quick with late season hunts. The only pronghorn I've shot were in Nevada where the gun season is in late August and early September. So without access to a cooler it was cool the meat down and then cut it up.