I must be getting old.

22 minutes ago, fishvik said:

If it's quartered or halved, I usually hang it for up to a week if it is cold. If it starts to warm up I start cutting it up. I usually cut up an elk pretty quick after the boned meat is cooled down which usually pretty quick with late season hunts. The only pronghorn I've shot were in Nevada where the gun season is in late August and early September. So without access to a cooler it was cool the meat down and then cut it up.

Another. Question.  Do you guys just cut the meat up into individual cuts when you process it or what.  Here at home there are a lot of processors along with individuals with equipment.  We usually take out the loins then cut the hams up and cube them to make cubed steak. The remainder goes into hamburger meat.

I guess this could go to anyone in the country about how they process there meat and what cuts they generally get. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• MAArcher

• mccuha

• Spiller

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shot a 110 lb spike horn this evening.  I’d guess the drag out was 300 yards, half through thick swamp including a knee deep ditch crossing.  I didn’t rush. Took me an hour or more.   And ri

Gosh, man!  What is this dragging of which you speak?    

I'd does occurs to us. But traditionally we like to sweat and pull so we can weigh them, hang them field dressed, and show them off. That includes 1000 pound bull moose. Nobody suggests we are the sha

Posted Images

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0544.JPGIMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG

Hung to age.

Skinned

Quartered

Processed:

cut into:

steaks (thick)

stew meat

roasts

Inner tenderloin left whole and cut to cook

Backstrap cut into steaks, large sections left for roasting /smoking

Scrap ground for burger and sausage with Pork fat or ground pork added.

We have reached a point where we just do as many steaks as we can, and then all the rest goes to hamburger, and/or sweet and hot italian sausage.

20 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0544.JPGIMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG

Hung to age.

Skinned

Quartered

Processed:

cut into:

steaks (thick)

stew meat

roasts

Inner tenderloin left whole and cut to cook

Backstrap cut into steaks, large sections left for roasting /smoking

Scrap ground for burger and sausage with Pork fat or ground pork added.

Looks very familiar except I use a hand operated meat grinder.

Like I posted. We have a lot of people that process deer for you.   I have taken deer to them before but to me it’s way to expensive and the quality is not there.  I don’t shoot a lot of deer but when I do. I take it to a buddies who has a nice walk in cooler and he always has a deer or two to process.  When it’s time to cut meat there’s always a couple people or more and we have a good time and also get good quality cuts.  It’s nothing like doing it yourself.