1. 1. Best Ballad Ever

• Yes
      Yes
    • No
      Yes
    • I have no soul and hate ballads
      Yes

SydneyWI

The Wreck is good.  Very good.  I'm with Erik in liking Bob's ballads.  My favorite is Lily, Rosemary and The Jack of Hearts.l

Ditto that. Throw in Angel from Montgomery too.

sxsneubaum

Piano Man shoots to the top of the list as does The City of New Orleans.

I guess my version of ballad is different than some people.  I am a ballad tells a story kind of person.  Some listed are just sad, depressing songs.

Piano Man isn't exactly a fun happy song.  Some of the places Joel has been known to play (on Long Island), when he was unknown, are pretty depressing dumps.

sprocket
I like Weird Al's "Biggest ball of twine in Minnesota" and someone did a song titled "The rectum of Edmund Fitzgerald", both are humorous to listen to but "The rectum" incites belly laughs.

Tom Avent
How about Warren Zevon's "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner".

3crosses
Marty Robbins El Paso, or maybe Big Iron.

Briarscratch
Just about every one of Chris Knight's songs, but especially "Down the River" and "Long Black Highway".

By definition, this song tells a story:

A Boy Named Sue

Is that a ballad?

BTW, many of you already caught some of the other ballads I was thinking.  Looks like many shared tastes hereabouts.

Ken, your post was as haunting as that song.  That you many on the ship had to have been really saddening.

Roost em 1st

Imagine  You've lost that loving feeling  yesterday  God only knows   Love Hurts   wish you were here  The show must go on    with or without you   It's all over now  She's Gone    Every Breath you take   All of my love   can't help fallin in love   only the lonely  in my life   I'll stand by you   all I have to do is dream  She   love me tender  (like) wild horses   runnin scared (from a)  Hurricane  in my dreams

Found a list of top rock Ballads and was bored, some of the stuff on the list was stomach turning, others made me smile at a faded memory.

Scratch you are right on with CK, most of his stuff weaves a nice tapestry of scenes into ballads. DBT tell some southern tales as well, ballads with attitude.

Lest we forget John Prine I'll add him. And Lee's highlighting of Robert Earl Keene was a must mention, I'll add James McMurtry(look up Choctaw Bingo lyrics) in that vein, and Dwight Yoakam....

lots of hippie stuff could be thrown on to the blaze here too, some Dead and some Panic, tough to hear the words to follow the story with alot of the jam band stuff, but the stories are there, The Greatest Story Ever Told might lead to Chilly Water

nice thread.

Ben Hong
Willie Nelson and Ray Charles doing "Seven Spanish Angels" trumps all, in my book.

erik meade

I'm not sure about that Ben,  but it certainly trumps the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

"Her final prayer was answered."

JClyma

so so many but a couple of my favs

Steve Goodman "city of New Orleans"

Jimi Hendrix "little wing"

Seldom scene "Dry Run Creek"

folk songs

Janice joplin "Summertime"

Doc watson's version of "Frankie and Jonny"

-Jeff

Briarscratch
Also, can't forget Steve Earle.

Brad_J

I was at the off-shore boat races in St. Clair this weekend. Between a race the Arthur M. Anderson went by.

For those that do not know the Arthur M. Anderson is a sister ship with the Edmund Fitzgerald and was at sea with it when it went down.  

I agree that Gordon Lightfoot did a great job with that song.

Rex Hoppie
Take Route 30 One More Time. ...Grand Island in the rain...  the West Nishnabotna...