Black Friday Tire Sale Part Deux?

I got my tires installed on my car yesterday. I can’t say it was a seamless experience. I will preface by saying that I didn’t buy them from the Walmart that I know has a very knowledgeable and professional manager, who has a bunch of old timers and farm boys working for him. I’ve had good experiences there. But since my wife was taking the car for the install, she insisted I get them at the closest and most convenient WM, where it took them 3 tries once to rotate my tires they way I wanted them. My mistake for making that mistake again. 

I drove her van the over 1 hour to work yesterday so she could take my car in. About he time of the appointment I got a call from WM tech saying my wife was there but there was an “issue”. My wheels required stick on weights and they were out of them, due to the high volume of Black Friday installs. Either they could install now and not balance and we bring back later for that, or we could reschedule completely. I said neither was acceptable. I told them to walk across the parking lot to Advance Auto, buy some weights, and install my tires. He said they weren’t allowed to do that, but if my wife bought them, they could use them. So I called Advance and they were out too. Autozone didn’t carry them. Finally I located some downtown at NAPA but you had to buy a box for $72. I was just about to call WM and tell them they needed to buy a $72 box of weights off me, when my wife txted they had found some weights in the boss’s desk drawer. After, the install went fine, the tires ride well and are smooth as silk. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• topdog1961

• WI Outdoor Nut

• martyg

• Virgil Kane

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone needing tires in the near future may want to hold off and see if Walmart and Goodyear team up again for a Black Friday Tire Sale. Last year, you could purchase Goodyear Wrangler truck tires or

I got an “ideal” tire. An 80,000 mile rated all season tire for my work commuter car from a major manufacturer, Goodyear, for $68 mounted and lifetime balance. I consider the Goodyear Wranglers I boug

I hate buying tires.

Posted Images

After my first two days long drive into work in the snow on my new Goodyear all season tires, all I can say is “Wow, what a difference tires make!”.  And “Thank God it’s not my car”.  The tires that came on my 2013 Mazda 3 that I bought in the summer of 2018 were Bridgestone Potenzas.  I’ve seen them described as Max Performance Summer Tires, and occasionally (and optimistically) advertised as “Summer and light snow tires.”  They had pretty good tread on them when I got the car, and likely 50% left when winter set in last year.  I was worried about the tires for my 125 mile round trip commute, but hated to discard tires with a lot of miles left on them.  But they were horrendous in the snow.  The car didn’t feel like it was connected to the road at all with even a dusting of snow.  I had to drive slower than most traffic, the car tracked every rut and slush pile, and I felt like the car was on the cusp of control.  The first time I tried to stop on snow I slid right through the intersection, and I was driving conservative.  I drove my 4x4 F-150 when I knew for sure snow was coming, but in northern Ohio, most winter days have a chance of snow.  By the time winter was over, they only had about 30% thread left, and were even worse.  I even posted a thread titled “Whew- I made it” after winter was over.  

By the time this black Friday sale rolled around, they were shot even for dry conditions.  Not unsafe, but very loud and down to the wear indicators.  But then again, I got 40,000 miles out of them bought used.  My fear was that my Mazda, being a sporty little front wheel drive car with fairly stiff suspension, stick shift and quick steering (ZOOM ZOOM) was contributing to the poor snow driving, and wouldn’t do well even on good tires.  After two days of driving to work in everything from 1-3 inches of virgin snow, to heavy sloppy slush, I can say with the new all season tires, it goes very well.  Admittedly, I gave up some handling, but our roads are all straight anyway, and I have the Miata when I’m feeling sporty.  The traction control is a nice compliment to the good all season tires, whereas last winter it just meant the car wouldn’t go period.  Knock on wood, I’m thrilled with how the car goes in snow.  Hopefully I will have to drive the gas guzzling truck very little this winter, only on days where ground clearance is an issue.  

A9C08239-DA6F-4DCD-87B4-3F3C8D6F98A9.jpeg

799CC245-718A-40E7-B598-16858307FB1A.jpeg

• 11 months later...
WI Outdoor Nut
On 11/26/2019 at 1:13 PM, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Thanks topdog for pointing out this sale.  I talked with the manager in auto about the sale at our local walmart and he was excellent to work with.  For my wife's car, I can pick up the goodyear viva's for $260+tax.  My local mechanic, I was looking at just short of $800.  While those might have been a better tire, so not quite apples to apples, this looks like a good tire at a GREAT price. 

Well folks, you might get what you pay for in this case.  I am just at a year with the Viva's and they are wore out with about 20K miles on them.  Going to run to walmart today to see what they will do for a 60K mile tire.  

If you go with a tire on the black friday sale, maybe go with a known model, like the wrangler.  

Anyone else have issues?

Sorry about your experience Nut. I’ve recently came to the same realization you always buy the best in tires. Vivas are Goodyear, very well known I’d say. Last year my nephew bought the Vivas, like you. His are shot too. For a little more, in the same sale, I bought the Goodyear Assurance Outlast. This 80k tire has the highest numerical Treadwear rating I’ve seen, 600.  They have been fantastic. I have 35k on them, I commute 125 daily minimum. They are showing no wear that I can see. Great tires for wear and ride quality. Not as great if you are putting on a sports car and handling is your highest priority. No tire does it all.  I think I paid $68 ($20 off) plus free mounting and lifetime rotation and balance during last years sale. You can’t beat that. 

Same for the Goodyear Wrangler Trail tires I bought for my F-150 two years ago during the WM Black Friday sale. They are wearing great. Fine tires. And just yesterday I picked up the Goodyear Wrangler Authority AT tires my son bought for his XTerra at this years WM Black Friday tire sale, which happened two weeks ago, because of Covid.  I was afraid they’d be harsh riding and loud, but based on a 5 minute drive in the dark last night, they are great. They are very quiet for such a gnarly looking off road tire, barely noticeable more than the street tires they replaced. And smooth at the 75 we got it up to. $560 mounted for 32 inch, 55,000 mile, 10 ply AT truck tires, plus lifetime rotate and balance, can’t beat that, though this years BLack Friday sale wasn’t as good as prior ones. And they look kick arse on his XTerra we raised 2 inches. 

Contrast this with the Douglas all season tires from WM I put On his Scion last year. They are made by Goodyear, but are cheap, $50 normal price. They are shot already, POSs. 

From these experiences I’ve learned all manufacturers make good and bad tires, often only separated by a few dollars each. Always buy their best. 

9BE987D2-06F2-4FC2-AFA6-F7E714ED9FC8.jpeg

BADE9424-0D7D-4987-B74B-38241DF21EAC.jpeg

WI Outdoor Nut
On 11/24/2020 at 1:42 PM, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Well folks, you might get what you pay for in this case.  I am just at a year with the Viva's and they are wore out with about 20K miles on them.  Going to run to walmart today to see what they will do for a 60K mile tire.  

If you go with a tire on the black friday sale, maybe go with a known model, like the wrangler.  

Anyone else have issues?

Update:  Went to walmart to see what could be done on tires that are wore out at 16,000 miles.  Both goodyear and walmart were good to deal with.  They prorated the tires, and I had to pay for balancing, with a total of $120 for 4 new tires.  It did waste an hour of my time, but at the end, I am happy with the results.  

1 hour ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Update:  Went to walmart to see what could be done on tires that are wore out at 16,000 miles.  Both goodyear and walmart were good to deal with.  They prorated the tires, and I had to pay for balancing, with a total of $120 for 4 new tires.  It did waste an hour of my time, but at the end, I am happy with the results.  

Good to hear you’re happy, especially since I steered you there. Did you upgrade to the Assurance Outlast, or get another set of Vivas? 

WI Outdoor Nut
1 hour ago, topdog1961 said:

Good to hear you’re happy, especially since I steered you there. Did you upgrade to the Assurance Outlast, or get another set of Vivas? 

Did not have a choice, had to go with the Vivas for the warrantee claim.  I did ask, and pushed to go with the Assurance, but did strike out there.