REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Greg Hartman

Report on 2019 Ford Ranger as a shooting brake and towed

terrym

The midsized truck category is very hot right now. Reality is it’s likely the right size for most, not everybody but “most”. 

GLS

The running boards will afford you some brush protection even though not quite as sturdy as rock sliders.  My old Sequoia's running boards are somewhat battered after almost 17 years.  The alloy wheels have on occasion had issues with wet clay sticking inside the wheel causing imbalance.  I dealt with it with my garden hose and nozzle setting set on stream.  Gil

dogrunner
58 minutes ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Great write up.  I have had the issues with mud building up in the wheels.  It was so bad I thought a bearing was thrown at the time.  Felt pretty stupid when the mechanic said the correct tool for the job was a pressure washer.  He could see the problem when the truck was on the rack.  I did not.

My next truck I plan on having mini running boards.  They are about 10" long.  I have been stuck before because the running board held the truck up in snow.  I need a little step, not the size of the whole truck.

When you get older you won't want a mini step or when its slippery. 

Windrider

Great review.

I’m a bit smitten with the new Ranger.  Amazingly, I haven’t seen one on the road yet, but see the new Gladiator almost everyday.

I love that 23.5 mpg.  My current JK Wrangler is the most fuel efficient vehicle we’ve had in a while.  However it still gets 5mpg better than the old lifted Cherokee.  Working on going to two dogs and with that a truck.

Every camper shell I’ve ever had I paid extra to put in compressible weather stripping  between the bed rail and the shell.  Didn’t help in my Buck-Fifty because the leak was coming up from below through poor fitting body panels in the bed.  Ended up caulking the cracks on that one.

kgb
1 hour ago, Windrider said:

I love that 23.5 mpg. 

No kidding! My Dakota in its place would need the towed mileage added to the formula to approach that.

WI Outdoor Nut
2 hours ago, dogrunner said:

When you get older you won't want a mini step or when its slippery. 

Doggrunner - the attachment is sort of what I am thinking.  A lot less to hang up on, yet the "step" should hug your foot when going up.  But maybe my thinking is off. 

n_fab_nerf_steps_tundra.jpg

Wirehair
3 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

Interesting that you had trouble with an ARE cap.  I've always had Leer before - and they have worked well except that the locks deteriorated too quickly. Leer had not yet made a cap for the new Ranger and I needed one for our trip, so I went with ARE.  I was VERY unhappy about the ARE cap when I discovered some guns (worth more than the truck by far) soaked and covered with mud!!!  The windows leak even in a light mist, let alone heavy rain or snow.  I couldn't do anything about that mess for the two months we spent out on the high plains, other than live with it.  &^%$@# .  We'll see what the dealer does.

From what I can tell your windows look the same as mine. Dealer said it's just a foam gasket and not rubber. I'd assume it'd be hard to get a good seal with foam.

My previous topper was a Lakeland and it had good windows with rubber gaskets and it never leaked. Type in leaky topper windows on YouTube and you'll see several about ARE. 

dogrunner
11 hours ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Doggrunner - the attachment is sort of what I am thinking.  A lot less to hang up on, yet the "step" should hug your foot when going up.  But maybe my thinking is off. 

n_fab_nerf_steps_tundra.jpg

That might work but they seem small and when you have boots on some don't work well. 

John Zeigler

Greg,

There is free software you can download on a laptop called FORScan that will allow you to change the time limit on your 12v outlet in your truck. I believe you can even disable the timer entirely and the outlet will stay on indefinitely. There is a forum with instructions. Just do a Google search.

John Zeigler 

Greg Hartman
17 hours ago, John Zeigler said:

Greg,

There is free software you can download on a laptop called FORScan that will allow you to change the time limit on your 12v outlet in your truck. I believe you can even disable the timer entirely and the outlet will stay on indefinitely. There is a forum with instructions. Just do a Google search.

John Zeigler 

Wow!  Thank you, John!!

OutlawTorn

Greg - 

I have a 2016 RAM 2500 6.4L Laramie.  I went with a 3/4 ton because at the time, I had some plans that never materialized for heavier hauling - plus it was the only truck I could find to comfortably accommodate my 6'4 "mostly leg" frame while leaving enough room in the crew cab for the kids.

I was out in SE ND last weekend and with all the rain/snow melt, I found myself very disappointed with it's performance on muddy section roads and an absolute pain to turn around if the road became impassable - think 10 point turns with muddy edges waiting to suck you in.  Although the mileage is impressive for a 6.4L at about 15-18 depending on conditions, I know that could be better too.  Otherwise, I really like the truck - just wondering if I need it without the need for a heavier tow vehicle.

I have a couple questions for you:

• Have you towed with the truck?  Wondering how it would handle a loaded two place, fiberglass covered snowmobile trailer.
  • How's the cab for roominess/leg room front and back?

Thanks!

RookieEP
35 minutes ago, OutlawTorn said:

Greg - 

I have a 2016 RAM 2500 6.4L Laramie.  I went with a 3/4 ton because at the time, I had some plans that never materialized for heavier hauling - plus it was the only truck I could find to comfortably accommodate my 6'4 "mostly leg" frame while leaving enough room in the crew cab for the kids.

I was out in SE ND last weekend and with all the rain/snow melt, I found myself very disappointed with it's performance on muddy section roads and an absolute pain to turn around if the road became impassable - think 10 point turns with muddy edges waiting to suck you in.  Although the mileage is impressive for a 6.4L at about 15-18 depending on conditions, I know that could be better too.  Otherwise, I really like the truck - just wondering if I need it without the need for a heavier tow vehicle.

I have a couple questions for you:

• Have you towed with the truck?  Wondering how it would handle a loaded two place, fiberglass covered snowmobile trailer.
  • How's the cab for roominess/leg room front and back?

Thanks!

What kind of tires on that fat boy

OutlawTorn
21 minutes ago, RookieEP said:

What kind of tires on that fat boy

Firestone Transforce A/T's - they were on the truck when I bought it.  I'm a little disappointed at the tread left at 45k miles.  I'll be trying something else, probably more aggressive, within 10k miles.

Hub
On 10/23/2019 at 1:18 PM, Greg Hartman said:

The ARE cap either didn't fit right or wasn't installed right.  It leaked when it rained and the massive dust cloud you created whenever you drove on dry dirt roads entered the bed area.  The combined result was plenty of gumbo mud inside the truck bed - an area that I needed to be clean and dry to keep guns and such.  This wasn't a fault of the truck, but a problem with the cap or its installation.  Frankly, I was pretty pissed about this, but couldn't do much about it on the road.  I'm taking the cap back to the ARE dealer now that I am home to be made 100% correct or to be returned.

Greg....are you sure this 'Dust Cloud' in the topper you are talking about was coming through the topper itself?  I have an F-150 and do a heck of a lot of driving on gravel roads.  The two really weakest spots on trucks these days; on the bed against the cab where there are holes so that water can drain, and around the tailgate itself.  My truck was a smoky mess until I siliconed the holes in the front and weather stripped where the tailgate meets the bed.  You will find all sorts of folks with similar problems online.  You can buy custom fitted seals for the tail gate, but you can cut you own for a few bucks from stuff at the typical box store.

Greg Hartman
30 minutes ago, Hub said:

Greg....are you sure this 'Dust Cloud' in the topper you are talking about was coming through the topper itself?  I have an F-150 and do a heck of a lot of driving on gravel roads.  The two really weakest spots on trucks these days; on the bed against the cab where there are holes so that water can drain, and around the tailgate itself.  My truck was a smoky mess until I siliconed the holes in the front and weather stripped where the tailgate meets the bed.  You will find all sorts of folks with similar problems online.  You can buy custom fitted seals for the tail gate, but you can cut you own for a few bucks from stuff at the typical box store.

I don’t think the dust entered through the cap - or at least not much of it.  It came in mostly through the gap between the bottom of the tailgate and the end of the bed that all trucks have.  The problem was that with the cap and cap windows leaking even in a light mist, I had at least an inch of wet mud in the bed, where I was hoping to keep guns, crates, vests, water and all the other crap one must carry on extended hunting trips dry.

Never thought of weather stripping that gap.  Good idea!  Thanks!

Not sure I’d want to plug up the drains toward the front of the bed though.  How do you get water out of the bed?