REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Greg Hartman

Report on 2019 Ford Ranger as a shooting brake and towed

Canuck
1 hour ago, Greg Hartman said:

How do you get water out of the bed?

Drive up a steep hill.

But seriously, the wheel balance issue with stock original wheels is a major pain for me. If you don't get ALL the mud out you can actually make a bad wobble, worse.

If I ever buy a new truck again I will use proper off-road, mud-shedding wheels as a bargaining chip.

I carry a bunch of paint stir sticks (free for the taking) to scrape the mud out of the tight spots.

quailguy
On 10/23/2019 at 5:54 PM, GLS said:

The running boards will afford you some brush protection even though not quite as sturdy as rock sliders.  My old Sequoia's running boards are somewhat battered after almost 17 years.  The alloy wheels have on occasion had issues with wet clay sticking inside the wheel causing imbalance.  I dealt with it with my garden hose and nozzle setting set on stream.  Gil

Agree that I like real running boards to keep the brush off the truck and stones off the actual truck. I have had to run the truck through a car wash 2-3 times after running a Kansas gumbo road and spray out the wheel wells.  

Brad Eden
38 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Drive up a steep hill.

But seriously, the wheel balance issue with stock original wheels is a major pain for me. If you don't get ALL the mud out you can actually make a bad wobble, worse.

If I ever buy a new truck again I will use proper off-road, mud-shedding wheels as a bargaining chip.

I carry a bunch of paint stir sticks (free for the taking) to scrape the mud out of the tight spots.

Concur. A lot of people pay for a front end alignment when they just needed to wash and clean out the accumulated mud in their wheels. I live on a town dirt road. It's routine during spring and late winter to clean out wheels when we feel the wobble shake at speed. 

Wirehair
9 hours ago, OutlawTorn said:

Firestone Transforce A/T's - they were on the truck when I bought it.  I'm a little disappointed at the tread left at 45k miles.  I'll be trying something else, probably more aggressive, within 10k miles.

Well that explains the lack of traction.  Those have to be the worst tire ever.

I just put Goodyear Duratracs on my truck and so far super impressed with traction and even ride/noise. I never would have bought them based on looks cause they look too much like mud tires but all the reviews and videos I watched they were impressive for traction and high mileage also.

I was not happy with the new BF Goodrich tko on my last truck for mileage. 

hmm363

ARE caps and keeping water out--------Good luck with that!   I've had one on my 13 Tacoma since the truck was new. The cap has been removed, resealed and reset 3 times by the dealer, the front window has been replaced also by the Dealer, the locking rod at the tailgate corrodes  and has to be cleaned 3-4 times a year, by me. 

I'm sure the truck will out last the cap and when it's time to replace the cap it won't be with an ARE.

Jazz4Brazo

I am surprised by the negative reviews here on ARE caps...always thought they were cats meow...I got my 06 Tacoma used <5000 miles and it came with a SnugTop cap and bed rug system and I have never had dust or water leakage yet...that truck is about to be replaced with either a BoB SUV or another truck...guess I gotta rethink the ARE caps 😞

Greg Hartman
4 hours ago, Jazz4Brazo said:

..guess I gotta rethink the ARE caps 😞

Just my opinion, but I would rethink buying an ARE cap.

Here's the topper (so to speak).  Last week, after pressure washing as much of the inch+ of wet, gumbo, muck out of my truck bed due to the leaking ARE cap as I could, I closed the rear window on the cap in the normal manner and it simply exploded into a zillion sharp pieces of glass into the bed.  Went to my local ARE dealer and told them of the problems.  They acted as if it was my fault.  Asked ME why the bolts on the window frames weren't tight.  Say what????  it failed totally in MT when I most needed it.  They agreed to tighten and water test it free of charge.  Thanks a lot.....

THEN, they told me that new glass for the rear window on the cap would be $600, plus installation; and it would be weeks before I could get the part.  $600 for a $5 piece of glass???  You gotta be kidding!!  Yet more weeks of a useless truck bed smack in the middle of hunting season???  😡 😡 😡

I asked them to take the cap off and give me my money back. "Sorry (??), its a non-returnable item."  Huh??!!  😡 😡 😡

At this point, I threatened to sue them and told them, quite accurately, that the outcome would not be pretty.  This is NOT something I like to do and almost NEVER do - I think lawyers who go around threatening to sue everyone are utter jerks, but I was furious at this kind of treatment of a customer.

They contacted ARE, who agreed, after the threats, to replace the rear window for "only" $300, with free installation. plus to expedite shipping of the part.  That is still outrageous, IMO, but I accepted it.  I am NOT happy.  I've always had Leer caps and have been happy with them, but for the deterioration of the locks.  Will NEVER even consider an ARE cap again.  In the meantime, I STILL cannot use my truck bed for it's intended purpose right in the middle of hunting season - the very reason I bought the cap. 

All of that said, the truck itself was perfect for my purposes.

Jazz4Brazo

That outright sucks! There are no SnugTop dealers on the east caost... closest was midwest but when someone smashed my back cab window all of the dealers I called and 5he company itself were top of the line in helping me find the right replacement in stock and get it to me pronto...great company to deal with at a distance...will need to check out their latest offering as I really liked the concept of side access pop up windows and if SnugTop offers I may need to do a road trip if I buy a truck.

blanked

I have owned snug top the last 20 years.  Second one I currently have is 3 years old.  The dealer I bought it from sells ARE, LEER and Snug.  He confirms Snug is the better of the 3