REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Dogwood

All-season tires that are durable enough to prevent rock punctures?

snapt

Michelin LTX on my Outback are bomber. I ran Hankook Dynapros on my prior rig and had really good luck with those too.

Cold Iron

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that most that say the Michelin LTX are actually mentioning the LTX2. Which are no where as good as the original LTX.

Been a lot more years than 7 years so guess it is safe to say my Non Disclosure Agreement with Michelin is no longer valid. Long story and did a lot of work for them back when the CIO offered me a job after I beat the "Frenchies" into submission that were in charge of Information Security. I told the leader of the 13 personal panel to shut the F#$% up he didn't know what he was talking about slamming IIS and Windows when he was crawling across the table and sit his greasy hair ass back down because he didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

He was stunned and  was half way across the table yelling at me, being a retired Navy Chief and ramrodding men through the gates of hell in combat does help.. He sat his dumb frog ass back down. The DOJ demanded that a resolution be offered and I offered one, the only one that would work. The company that I worked for at the time when I retired from the Navy said they would crucify me. I said hold my beer and watch this...

The CIO offered me a position after the meeting. It was in compliance with the US Justice Dept. and their retread plant for 18 wheeler tires. I declined but they gave me a set of LTX tires which were Sears branded, same thing. They couldn't give me Michelin branded tires. This was back in the day when Clinton was in office and the CIO said he did inhale back then so not sure why Clinton did not..

The Sears tires were the same as the original LTX. Moved to Mn. to support the research and treatment of cancer but took a side job at one of the top 10 contract electronic\elecrtomagnic companies at the time. Pemstar, which was eventually purchased by Benchmark electronics. And Michelin contracted to Pemstar for high rotation analysis of puncture resistance. Using IIS on Windows Server and anonymous login across the internet. Holy crap that was not my intention and contacted them and reversed their direction, did not mean for it to go that far. 

10 ply tires are mentioned in this thread several times. It isn't always about the number of ply, 2 plys today can equal 10 plys of yesterday.

My Taco came with KO tires

22582922925_6df669bb90_b.jpg

Great tire and the KO2 are new improved. But given weight ratio and traction maybe not so much. So I did not go with them or the LTX2 Michelin tires when it was time to replace them. Do you really need an E rated tire? I tow a Polaris Northstar to get me back into areas to hunt now. And do not feel I am lacking by dropping off the E series at all. Your mileage my vary, but if you leave the E series it will improve, by a lot. Needs analysis..

Jacksdad

FYI E rated will really impact mileage and drivability/acceleration.  Much heavier tires.   

Dogwood
6 hours ago, Cold Iron said:

Great tire and the KO2 are new improved. But given weight ratio and traction maybe not so much. So I did not go with them or the LTX2 Michelin tires when it was time to replace them. Do you really need an E rated tire? I tow a Polaris Northstar to get me back into areas to hunt now. And do not feel I am lacking by dropping off the E series at all. Your mileage my vary, but if you leave the E series it will improve, by a lot. Needs analysis..

So what did you go with?

WeeWilly
On 11/5/2019 at 10:37 AM, Dogwood said:

265/70/R17

2008 Ford Expedition.  Plan on hunting chukar country next year; counting on sharp rocks.

If this truly is your plan an all season is a poor choice IMO. I eat, sleep, and breath for the country and birds you desire and run a 3/4 ton tire eating rig with Cooper ST Maxx's deflated to 25 psi (60 normal) for a smooth ride and better traction. If you do decide to go with an all season, bring a couple spares and all the goodies to change them in less than ideal conditions.

Curt

Here's another plug for the Michelin Defenders, I really like mine.

Chukarman

All the rock related puncture I have experienced have been in the tire sidewall. Many P and LT tires have thin sidewalls, usually two ply. I now run only tires with three-ply sidewalls.

On my Ford F 350 I am running Goodrich ATs, On my 2001 TLC I am using Michelin LTX (a fabtastically high milesge choice), On my 1993 70 Series Landcruiser I run Flken ATs, and on my old Willys Jeep I use Cooper STT mud terrain tires. Of these the Michelin LTZ probably comes closest to what you want. For chukar huntin I strongly recommend an AT type tire with 3-ply sidewalls.

jeff88
On 11/5/2019 at 11:37 AM, Dogwood said:

Plenty of AT's I know but looking for an all-season.  Thanks.

Here's my logic on tires for off-roading:  Even if the capability you need is for only 1% of the miles you put on, it could very well be 99% of your potential problems.  If you are worried about rock punctures, that's in the 99%.  Having had LTX's on two different SUVs, one an '04 Expy, my take is that they ride as well as all-seasons.  They wear even better.  Both Ford's got over 70K in LTX's.