REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
blanked

Boat eye candy. What’s your favorite

birdhuntervet
erik meade
On 11/13/2019 at 9:13 AM, Dave Medema said:

I keep it in Holland

Hey Dave,  one of my daughters goes to college in Holland.  I'll wave at it next time I am up there.

Chukarman
On 11/16/2019 at 5:46 PM, dukxdog said:

I hunt over custom carved, hollow, hand painted cedar decoys these days. These are the "eye candy". Love my greenhead hunting!

IMG_2717.JPG

Beautiful dekes! I have a couple carved by David Haugerbaumer... balsa bodies. Are yours cedar?

erik meade
On 11/15/2019 at 11:29 AM, bigdog MN said:

I am fond of this one, modeled by my late dog Bodie after a duck hunt turned pheasant hunt.  Alumacraft Ducker.

Bodie 09 5.jpg

Do people try to buy that off of you?

I always thought those were the coolest. I know if I ever came across one for sale, I'd be counting my pennies.  I don't even duck hunt, but I would start if I had one of those.

Have you ever weighed your particular one?  Alumacraft was on top of their game back then.  I have an Alumacraft Voyaguer canoe, 17' long and only 55lbs.

bigdog MN

I have been approached a couple times in parking lots and access points. Have 3 total, my fathers which is an earlier version with aluminum oars, mine above is a later one where they had changed a couple features to save cost. Last is a Ducker hull with a different topside that was built as a prototype by one of the designers. Row like a dream. I never weighed them but I think they are close to 60#.

erik meade
15 hours ago, bigdog MN said:

I have been approached a couple times in parking lots and access points. Have 3 total, my fathers which is an earlier version with aluminum oars, mine above is a later one where they had changed a couple features to save cost. Last is a Ducker hull with a different topside that was built as a prototype by one of the designers. Row like a dream. I never weighed them but I think they are close to 60#.

3, and you are only one guy.  I guess that is why the rest of us will never own one.

Zoli 16ga.

My new to me duck boat, TDB 14' Classic.(without the motor)

Not to big and not too small for where I hunt. 

2019-12-09_03-13-352019-12-09_03-14-47

not my boat, but a good view of the front.

2019-12-09_03-24-56

Jacksdad

Oh man had one of those years ago.  Soooo regret selling it!  Coupla guys came down to Md from Marthas Vineyard to pick it up. 

Strongly suggest a 25 2stroke if you have to power it.  I went with a 15hp 4str and even with a fin i had to lock it in place and walk to the front to get it on plane.  

Swampy 16
9 hours ago, Jacksdad said:

Oh man had one of those years ago.  Soooo regret selling it!  Coupla guys came down to Md from Marthas Vineyard to pick it up. 

Strongly suggest a 25 2stroke if you have to power it.  I went with a 15hp 4str and even with a fin i had to lock it in place and walk to the front to get it on plane.  

Yes listen to Jack, DO NOT put a 4stroke on it. Here in Jersey we have a lot of 9.9 Hp limited lakes so most of my bass fishing was done with a Jon boat with a 9.9. Over the years I had 2 and 4 stroke. At one point I bought a brand new 25 hp 4 stroke Yamaha to dedicate fishing our largest lake which was unlimited hp but still wanted my 9.9 mounted on a jack plate so I didn’t wanna go bigger. It was a pig. Anyway, the last 9.9 I had before going all saltwater was an old 2 stroke Yamaha that once propped right actually would get my 17’ Jon up on pad. It was the fastest that boat had ever gone. My 25 couldn’t, even after changing props. Even a new 9.9, 4 stroke I had owned and a Honda 9.9 I had couldn’t get any of my jobs on pad. Stay away from 4 stroke unless your talking 50 hp and up.

Jacksdad

the motor board would be questionable with a heavy 25 4 stroke as well.  Some elect to brace the board.  Many owners of TDBs will also opt for an extension to put on the tiller handle.  

Lastly a word of caution on the classic...they have been known to flip and stay that way.  it's a truly flat hull and slides in turns rather than rocking over like a normal hull.  works great for small water but still something to be aware of.  

loved that boat and miss it quite a bit.  may yet own another one.  

Zoli 16ga.

I dont need to get on plane, not big on going fast in a marsh loaded with dead heads or. sand bars. Ill be running my 7hp stump jumper most of the time or a 9.9hp in cleaner waters. Only traveling a mile at most one way most times.

2019-11-29_03-42-58

Zoli 16ga.

I drove to southern Maine for this one. They sell pretty quick if listed. It's an 86, hull #80.

Big Al

A6B81937-44F9-4F89-A10C-9C2E06E27F26.jpeg

MAArcher

Swampy 16
3 hours ago, Big Al said:

A6B81937-44F9-4F89-A10C-9C2E06E27F26.jpeg

The ducks will never see you in that.