REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
gunsrus

Garmin Fenix 5S

gunsrus

Just an update . I bought this unit this year from Front Range GunDog and I am thrilled with it . Not having to look down at the Alpha to find the dog is so much easier . Honestly , it seems more accurate . I rarely use the corrections on the Alpha so just maneuvering  the watch is simple and so natural . 

Highly recommend .

Question , I read in another thread that the unit has to be calibrated . Maybe they just meant the Alpha which I always do after changing locations . 

I also ask if anyone here feels the watchband is small . I can close it but not by much . I'm not small man at 6' 220 but I assume there are others with larger wrists that would definitely have a problem .

Is there a replacement band that comes in a larger size ?

WPG Gizmo

Al there are plenty of bands you can get for the Fenix I replaced the plastic one with a metal band on mine look on Amazon you will fine what your looking for

Craig Doherty
5 hours ago, gunsrus said:

Question , I read in another thread that the unit has to be calibrated .

Yes.  The compass in the watch does need to be calibrated.  Turn on your compass widget from the app then it will appear on the watch.  When on the compass hit the top right button and follow the prompts.

gunsrus
1 hour ago, Craig Doherty said:

Yes.  The compass in the watch does need to be calibrated.  Turn on your compass widget from the app then it will appear on the watch.  When on the compass hit the top right button and follow the prompts.

Thanks Craig . How often do I calibrate the watch ? Does it need to be calibrated as often as the Alpha ? I calibrate the Alpha everytime if the Cover is more than 50 or so miles from the last one . 

Craig Doherty
10 hours ago, gunsrus said:

Thanks Craig . How often do I calibrate the watch ? Does it need to be calibrated as often as the Alpha ? I calibrate the Alpha everytime if the Cover is more than 50 or so miles from the last one . 

I don't calibrate either one that often.  Calibrate here in NH.  Then again when I get to Kentucky, yet again when I go to Kansas to hunt.

gunsrus
35 minutes ago, Craig Doherty said:

I don't calibrate either one that often.  Calibrate here in NH.  Then again when I get to Kentucky, yet again when I go to Kansas to hunt.

Got it done , pretty easy , Thanks . 

Dave Erickson

I've been tickled with how my Fenix 3 has worked out. Mine has a pretty decent rubber-like band and the watch goes on upside down over my base layer shirt and sometimes my shirt sleeve. Nice to move into a point or "birdy situation" with both hands on the gun with the Fenix pointing at the dog. I can easily feel it vibrate through the shirts. The handheld either stays in my pocket or is clipped to my jaeger lead. I'm sort of a tech-tard, but I find this setup easy to use.

Illini

Great to hear!  I just stumbled onto this possibility within the last week..I've read this thread as well as the thread about Fenix 5 and it sounds like the watch can be paired with the Astro 320?  Does anyone run the Fenix or the Instinct with the Astro 320?  If I look on the Garmin website it does not show it being compatible; however, I have seen it for sale where it says it is compatible with the Astro 320.

Ifcompatible I am likely in...looking down and the screen to figure out which direction the dog is, or if it is still on point is kind of a PIA.

airmedic1

I just looked at a Garmin Instinct at $299 and now I see they are on sale for $199.  They say they are compatible with both the Garmin 32O and the 430 so I might try one. Does anyone know if you can see more than one dog on the screen or do you have to change for each dog?

Dave Erickson

Airmedic, I only run one collar, but I know the Fenix will track more than one. Here's an image I grabbed off the net. Pretty sure the Instinct will do the same.

images.jpeg

WPG Gizmo

I track 2 dogs with my Fenix3 with no problem

airmedic1

Thanks guys!!

Cooter Brown
9 hours ago, airmedic1 said:

Thanks guys!!

If you go to Gundog Supply's page on the Instinct and scroll down there are pictures of the Instinct in use, showing what it looks like in multiple dog and single dog mode, both running and pointing.

Scroll down here:

https://www.gundogsupply.com/garmin-instinct-flame-red-watch.html

I'd make sure they were compatible with the 320 if that's what you have.

On 11/12/2019 at 8:34 AM, Illini said:

Great to hear!  I just stumbled onto this possibility within the last week..I've read this thread as well as the thread about Fenix 5 and it sounds like the watch can be paired with the Astro 320?  Does anyone run the Fenix or the Instinct with the Astro 320?  If I look on the Garmin website it does not show it being compatible; however, I have seen it for sale where it says it is compatible with the Astro 320.

Ifcompatible I am likely in...looking down and the screen to figure out which direction the dog is, or if it is still on point is kind of a PIA.

Astro 320 and Fenix 5 here... They work great together. 

Only two dogs, but they display together. So nice being able to glance at my wrist. 

gunsrus

There is nothing more frustrating trying to get to your dog on point when he's situated in a grove of fir . Busting through and constantly looking down at the Alpha , checking location then reattaching it back to the vest sucks . Glancing at the watch is a game changer for sure .